Monday, December 16, 2019

We are the champions!


Sadly, yesterday was the last official Sit n Sew for the year. Happily, the next four months of Sit n Sew days are pretty much booked solid! Does that tell you how much we love our sewing days? I love seeing what the others are working on - I love the gossip - I mean chatter - we NEVER gossip. But we do in fact talk about so many different topics and with 10 ladies in the room, you certainly get a wide perspective on things. And if you want advice or an opinion - well you've got it! These are the BEST days ever!!!

Thanks to everyone who came out for Sit n Sew this year. It's been fabulous! See you all next year!

I'm going to show you tomorrow what I did. It's our last Monday sewing day for this year and I have a TON of stuff to load in the car. I've been working my butt off all week quilting and I managed to get EVERYTHING done that I had planned on. Yep - because the moment the last person left yesterday, my workday began! I've got four more customer quilts to finish this year and they'll be completed by the end of the week.

Here's what the others were working on.

Oh - here's something I can show you that I did. France was having trouble threading her serger. Yes - that's a very common problem. She called the dealer who sold her the serger and they were NOT very helpful at all and were going to charge her a pretty hefty fee to get a lesson on threading.

She had brought the book along, although it wasn't the best-written book I've ever seen. The first thing they said for rethreading was to tie off the threads and pull them through. Oh boy - that's a great start. What do you do if the machine isn't threaded properly so you can't do that? I managed to work my way through the sketchy diagrams.

France's serger

I missed on the first try but got it working on the second. There are two sneaky areas to thread in ANY serger and if you don't deal with the thread the right way - guess what? Yes - the serger won't work. But I'm happy to report that within 15 minutes (more or less) that we had the serger merrily serging away. I like to think of that as paying it forward. Shelly sewed my lining in my bag, I helped France thread her serger. Now it's her turn to do something for someone else.

Diane was working on this table runner. I've forgotten the name of it, but apparently, it's a very popular pattern on the online groups. There are online groups?? I haven't touched Facebook or Instagram in days. There's been zero time. I'm OK with that, but I did finish my audiobook this morning.


Diane's "around the pole" table runner


Sharon P was working on an attic window. After some discussion about which direction the dark and light should go, this is what was settled on and she got a fair bit completed.

Sharon P's attic window quilt


For several Sit n Sew days, I've been trying to get a picture of what Liz was working on. No luck. But I did get one yesterday. She's making this pretty neat pattern. Prism Stars by Pine Tree Country Quilts.


Prism Stars

See what I mean by hard to get a picture. She wouldn't stop moving her hands!! But no worries. It's a beautiful quilt when it's finished. I quilted one for a customer a while back.


Partially pieced blocks of Prism Stars

Give a girl an embroidery machine and a credit card to buy patterns and Ronda is a happy person. She embroidered a whole bunch of Grinch key chains. When she left, they were completely finished including the snap. I don't think she had any extras. She had made several with specific people in mind and the rest got snapped up pretty quick yesterday!

Ronda's Grinches

She has all her snap supplies neatly contained in this box. Which she got from Shelly. The funny thing is that Shelly got it from me. But Shelly had way more supplies than would fit in this box so on the last road trip, she bought a bigger box and now Ronda has inherited this one. I love it - we're all so sharing and caring! And we've all been good at finding homes for our stuff.

Ronda's snap supply box

Sharon N is still working on her Border Creek Mystery. Still on Clue 6, but she didn't forget her fabric this time and so made good progress. We're going to see a finished quilt one of these days!!!

Sharon N's Border Creek Mystery
Rose was here on our Community Projects day and grabbed one of the kits so she could sew it yesterday. That was so sweet of her to work on that quilt on her Sit n Sew day. But see how much fun that is? We had some leftovers from a previous kit, combined with a fabric that got rejected for the pillowcases and VOILA - a pretty cool small quilt for Project Linus!!!  It's that easy. No pattern needed - just a four-patch and a big square. Nicely done Rose. That's the first quilt top in the box waiting for our next processing day - probably in February.  Remember - the January community projects day is a sewing day.

Community Project quilt was sewn by Rose

The binding is even made so it just needs backing and I think it's small enough to fit on a piece of fabric without piecing. That'll be an easy one or we might have a hunk of fleece that'll work.


The binding is also complete


So it was a champion day for everyone. I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I'm so motivated by these sewing days. Seriously - after everyone left, I sewed for another SIX hours. OK - so I had a deadline!

BUT WAIT!!!!   While I truly appreciate and admire the work that everyone did, Liz brought in the BEST show and tell that I've ever had in a class. What did she bring? Have a look............

Her son-in-law has connections and he received this as a token of appreciation when the Raptors won the championship. Oh, shoot -what's the title? I don't know.

Anyway - it came in a pretty box. I erased his name in blue - so don't think that's part of it.

The box
And inside the box???

OH MY GOD - it's a RING
It's a replica of the Championship Ring that the Raptors got. This is exciting stuff and I'm not even a basketball fan. How cool is that and it's the closest I'll ever get to something like this. It doesn't have as many diamonds as the real thing, but not shabby for a replica!

It was encrusted with diamonds and rubies. And there was a maple leaf on the inside which has a ruby in the center. Sorry - my photo is blurry.


Inside the ring

Yep - that's a huge ring!!!! And it's heavy - very heavy.

Wow - that's a big ring

It's has a beautiful picture of Toronto skyline on the ring and each recipient's name is on one side. Holy!!! That's quite the ring.

Beautiful design


OK - so amongst all of us, Liz has the best connections - at least in the sports world!
Liz - thanks so much for bringing that show and tell and tell Tristan that NONE of us dropped it and we were all pretty excited about the ring!! He's a pretty lucky little boy to have a cool Dad like his!

On that note, I'm out of here. It's going to be another jam-packed day and well my day started hours ago, but as mentioned, ALL the work that was scheduled to be finished for delivery this morning is DONE!!! Now that's an awesome way to start the day!

Have a super day!!!

Ciao!!!





1 comment:

  1. My prism quilt is not even close to how far Liz is! Good for her.

    ReplyDelete