So much for a free day! I left the hotel at 9 AM, and I didn't get back until after 8 PM. Considering I didn't have a car at my disposal, that was a pretty full day!
First, though, if anyone wants to see the classes I am offering, I have listed them in this blog post. I was going to do some work on the dates and so on yesterday, but I didn't have time. At least you will know what I am teaching - you just don't know specific dates yet. I might throw in a few short (one- or two-session) classes, such as a session on the Trendtex challenge kit, for anyone who is interested. And I might be doing something with that batting I get my hands on next month, but those will be short and mostly for informational purposes, not a new project.
Feel free to purchase the patterns if you wish, but I am going to explain more and show you more pictures of the wool applique kits, and I'm still working out options, so you could get some thread for the kit. If you have a kit already or bought one at the show, no big deal. That is the class with the most options. There are kits by Sue Spargo and Wendy Williams, and I can't find the Wendy Williams kits online. There is no rush to buy anything, as classes will not start until September.
I decided to go for a walk to start the day. It was beautiful, and I almost wished I had worn shorts, but given what happened, I was glad I did not.
I passed by more artwork. This was a huge set of marbles in a park. I guess I should have walked closer to them to get a picture. I can't seem to find a way to crop pictures on this silly laptop, so I'll have to figure that out at some point. But those large marbles were as shiny as any marble you would hold in your hand.
 |
| Giant marbles in a park |
Then I thought I would check for any Adventure Lab artwork, and this is what I spotted along the way. You really can't see the artwork, and sadly, some of the paint is peeling. It was painted in 2015 and depicts the boat people who came from Vietnam.
The mural depicts one of the men who came to Canada as a refugee. And it is painted on a building that this man owns.
 |
| A mural |
I took the most direct way to my destination, not the prettiest. So I mostly walked along major streets, but I'm sure there was a prettier way to get to my first destination.
There was a power line corridor that had no houses. However, there were garden plots for rent in that area, and what a great use of the land.
 |
| Garden plots for rent |
And after an hour walk (equivalent to walking the girls), I arrived at my destination. The
McNally Robinson bookstore - the original one. No quilts are hanging up as there are in the Saskatoon store. As an independent bookstore, this one is amazing!! I could walk around for hours. I notice there are NO places to sit. Sadly, those spots have been abused over the years, and they are gone. But that's OK.
 |
| McNally Robinson bookstore |
But I wandered around and spotted so much good stuff. Sdly, I don't have a lot of room in my suitcase. I spotted this GAMES magazine in the magazine section. This magazine had been around for a very long time, as I was introduced to it in my late teens. It used to feature articles about games and game events, but now it's just a magazine with puzzles. I did not buy it. I don't think I have any of the old issues still around, but the masthead is very similar to the original!
 |
The GAMES magazine is still around!
|
There is the craft section, which has been greatly reduced over the years. But the way we get our information in the craft world has greatly changed. I did pick up one magazine that is hard to find at home.
 |
| The hobby/craft section |
And then I got a phone call from my friend I was going to meet, and she said she'd come to the bookstore, so I browsed around some more while I waited for her. Oh my --- the puzzles. There were two big shelves of puzzles - I think the other store has more, but there were so many new brands I had never seen before, and it was like being a kid in a candy store. I can't wait to get home and finish the one on my table.
 |
| Part of the puzzle section |
OK -- so I bought a puzzle! Let's just say that it's going to take some creative packing to get all this stuff in my suitcases. Or as I mentioned yesterday, I might just have to take a tote bag on the plane with me. I'm good either way. At least, I don't have to worry about the weight in my suitcase - 70 pounds times three is my included limit. That is way more important to me than having access to the lounge.
While I was looking through everything, I spotted this in the games section.
 |
| Threaded, the game |
This is a brand-new game, and it's all about choosing patterns and thread to create bargello embroidery.
I don't really understand how it works, and it's hard to see from the boxes, but you can learn more on their website. Actually, when you read the description, it's pretty funny because it's based on how we work! Wait for a sale and hope it's still there, or pay more and get it now!
 |
| The back of the box |
And I got a chuckle from this sign. Isn't that like us quilters? Why buy one fat quarter when you can buy the bundle!
Then my friend (Jeannette) showed up. Jeanette and I were in Katimavik together - almost 50 years ago! I have seen her on and off over those 50 years, and we have communicated a lot via text and Facebook. We had lunch together at the bookstore and chatted for hours. Then we needed to get moving - I was surprised that they didn't kick us out, but there was always at least one empty table in the restaurant, so we were good.
Then she drove me to see her cute house in Winnipeg. She met her first husband in Katimavik and, sadly, after they had four children, he got sick and passed away. She married another friend later in life, and sadly, he is gone as well. So she now has this cute house in Winnipeg that is hers!
Then we got in the car and drove outside Winnipeg to visit my Katimavik roommate from 50 years ago! Carol and I were roommates in Esquimalt (Victoria, BC). We have many memories together in that room! Carol and Jeannette both came from London, Ontario, and it's funny that they both ended up in Winnipeg.
I have a picture to share, but I will wait until I get home. But Carol's husband, who Jeanette knows from London, is into medieval things in a big way, and he made these rattles for their new grandchild, who is arriving sometime soon. Many conversations were happening, and I couldn't keep them all straight.
 |
| 3-D printed sword rattles |
They are not sharp and have beads inside, so they are true rattles. He made them on his 3-D printer.
Apparently, you can find this design on Thingiverse.com.
Sadly, we couldn't stay too long, but it was getting late in the day anyway. Jeannette had to pick up her daughter at the airport, and I was off to visit with my nephew. She dropped me off, and then Devin and I hopped in his Tesla and drove out to a different airport. We were going for a plane ride in his plane!
However, when we arrived at the hangar where he stores his plane, the darn thing had a flat tire, so we couldn't go!!!! How disappointing. This is the plane that my Dad went for a ride over the farm last month, with Devin as the pilot!
 |
| My nephew's plane |
While I was disappointed, it was OK. I'll just have to arrange to come back, or, as he needs to gather hours, he can fly to Ontario.
It was funny because when my friend wanted to show me her new self-driving Tesla, the FSD mode wasn't working that day, so she had to drive the car herself. Then, just as Devin is about to take me for a ride in his plane, a tire goes flat. Hmmm --- what will be next?
I have a free morning today, and then I'm off to Carellen Sewing Center to chat about our 24" Singer Momento digital cutter. There are two sessions -- one at 1 PM and one at 6 PM. So be sure to come out and see how it works, check out the samples, and learn all the fun things you can do with it.
I'll be getting things organized this morning, so I may take a short walk, and then I'm going to Uber it to the store. It's going to be way cheaper to do that than rent a car. It's not that far away, but trudging a suitcase behind me? That's not going to happen.
Then tomorrow is all about quilting with your embroidery machine, which will be fun as well.
By the time my nephew dropped me off last night, it was after 8 PM, and we hadn't even gone for a flight. It was a long day! But it was fun to catch up with everyone. I'm now on my own for the remainder of this trip, but I don't have much free time either.
Have a wonderful day!!!
Ciao!!!!
Link to blog post on courses is going to today’s post? Just me?
ReplyDeleteAnyways … I’m in for the first 3 of those courses … I hope!
And you totally tire me out when you are out and about but love reading of your adventures! Safe travels home….expect a flight delay me thinks! 😉😁