Saturday, July 25, 2026

Out with the old and in with the new!!!

Yesterday was a transition day. While I accomplished stuff, I was almost like a slug on a rug! I wasn't going anywhere fast! But that's OK. I don't really have any time-sensitive stuff to deal with, but there are always loads that I want to accomplish. 

I started by spending almost an hour in the backyard weeding and cleaning up! I decided to cave and call the gardener guy, who will come next week, but in the meantime, I'll continue to clean up so it doesn't look like a complete jungle. It's really not that bad at all - the beauty of having a backyard that is devoted to NO grass, and some areas are so dry that NOTHING grows there. It's a great space for dogs! 

Of course, I had a supervisor to make sure that all was going as planned. Why she plunks herself in the middle of the plants is beyond me, but seriously? I don't care. If that is where she wants to lie down, then so be it! I managed to get all the creeping vine (or I hope I did) out of that little space on the left. That creeping vine is the worst, and if you let it go, it just grows like mad. 

My supervisor while weeding

And we still have flowers in the backyard. Whoever planned the plants was pretty good (not me!) because we have flowers almost all summer long. 

Pink Rose of Sharon


White Rose of Sharon


Hostas


Hostas are funny because I have another one just on the other side of the path and it's not doing so well. Of course, I do NOT water my garden, and the other hosta gets more sun, so I suspect it's just too dry and hot in that location. I might think of replacing it with something. But what? Our garden doesn't need watering - it was intentional! 

I wanted LOW maintenance, and the only thing that needs to be done is the weeding and the occasional pruning, which is what will happen next week. I want to be able to enjoy that backyard without spending huge amounts of time maintaining it. And we got exactly what we wanted! 

I should mention that our neighbor got the waterfall in his pond working again, and it's louder than ours, so it sounds like we have this huge fountain in the back! Very hypnotizing!!!!

As I was trying to get myself organized in the morning, I attempted to clean up the remaining items on the puzzle table. I found a couple of containers of half-square triangles that need to be sewn, pressed, and trimmed. While I mostly use them for enders and leaders, I have MANY, so it wouldn't hurt to stitch some of these during the Virtual Retreat tonight. It's a mindless task, and I doubt I could make any mistakes!

A stack of triangles to make half-square triangles


I sewed and pressed two of them. 

Two half-square triangles

They were in this small tin, but the tin is now empty, and it's in the giveaway pile. I don't need cute little tins anymore. Hmmm -- it is cute - it could be used for some small supply. I might just rescue that. 

A now-empty tin

And I sorted some more triangles and put them on the tray beside the sewing machine. Good grief - I found another pile (the light ones in the top left) that are way too small to be spending time on, so they are now in the scrap bin. 

Sorting more triangles for HSTs


I even took some time to work in my gratitude puzzle book. There was a page for writing down the goals for the month, and I listed those. I may not refer back to that list, but it's great to write things down. It just helps to keep my brain in working order! And what I find is that if I am NOT in control (as in having lists), I get scattered and it's hard to function. A list? Perfect!!!

This was the puzzle I did yesterday - a maze. I have no idea why, but mazes are so much easier to do when you start at the end and work your way to the start. Why is that? 

The maze in my gratitude puzzle book


WAIT - I know. Because if you are doodling free motion quilt designs, they work so much better if you start at the bottom of the page (quilt) and work your way back!!! Trust me --- so much easier!!!

Then I was off as I had a couple of errands to accomplish. 

The first stop was to pick up my package that came from the US. This is a Dowdle Puzzle commemorating America 250!!!!! It was only available in the US, and so I had it shipped to my US address. Once it arrived, I filled out the paperwork and paid $20, including the HST (tax), to have it shipped across the border. No duty - just tax and shipping to Canada from Niagara Falls, NY. 

The America 250 Dowdle Puzzle


It is a beautiful puzzle, and I really wanted it. I haven't had a chance to really focus on all the detail, but there are loads of special items in the puzzle. That will be for the winter! 

I don't use that service much, but it's so convenient. What's even more convenient is that they now have a second pickup location in my city, and it's even closer to my house. It's right in the area where I shop! Perfect!!!

The next stop was Fabricland, and they were having a sale, and the place was PACKED!!!! What are all those people making? I wanted to ask, but there was no time. I let one person get her cord measured in the middle of getting my stuff cut. Then I was folding my fabric while the ticket got written up, and I helped with the large rolls of what I was buying! I can't share yet!!!! 

BUT as I got to the cash register, I saw something I NEEDED to have. I have found these burlap shopping bags to be the best bags ever. I had one from Stonehenge that eventually wore out, and now my Longo's bag is starting to see better days. 

My Longo's bag



The inside of all these bags has a plastic-coated surface adhered to the burlap. They are the right size, lightweight, and fairly inexpensive. I'm sure I paid less than $10 for that bag several years ago. I just love them. They are not worth trying to repair. I also asked at the grocery store if they still sold them, and the answer is NO. 
The plastic is breaking down.




Not only is the plastic coating breaking down, but the burlap fibers have broken down. And I'm afraid I may lose small things or that the bag will split open when I'm on the way home from the grocery store. I have one street to cross to get to the store, and I can imagine that it would be during that crossing that the bag would split! It was time to do something about it, but what? 
The corners of the bag are almost toast!



As I approached the cash at Fabricland, I spotted burlap bags!!!! No WAY!!!!! It's so pretty, and the price was right - it was on sale at $14.00 or something like that. SOLD!!!! 

My new burlap bag

The handles are a bit different from the Longos' bag, but the bags are roughly the same size. I was pretty excited, and I have retired the Longo's bag, although I am going to rescue the handles. They are like a soft rope and are very comfortable!! 
The new and the old




How was that for a great find? I'm good for the next couple of years, and then when I need a new one -- it will appear. It's like being on the Camino - when you need something, it will show up. You just have to be patient!!


Then I was off to Michaels, where I was stunned to see the Halloween stuff. Actually, I knew the Halloween stuff was out because I had been there last week or two weeks ago. BUT the amount of space the Halloween stuff took up was unbelievable, and there is every kind of thing Halloween-related you could possibly want, including an entire shelving unit with tarot cards and astrological stuff. 

One section of the Halloween decor



And so help me god, but when I saw the assorted collections of ribbons and trims, I caved. This is one of my favorite things, and OK - I confess, I bought a book of Halloween paper. I am not a Halloween fanatic, but I love the colors, and well, I just had to have the stuff. I hope to spend a bit of time this summer playing around and making a book or something and embellishing it with the ribbons, or I'll find something to make on the sewing machine! 

Halloween trim collections


WAIT -- that reminds me that I have three witches stitched out on the embroidery machine and they need to be made into something. I need to dig those out so they will be ready in time for Halloween and I can embellish them with the ribbons. I only bought two of the six collections. But I did find the other things I was looking for, except for the tool to set my snaps in my shirt! So I'm going to have to buy that online, and I found a store in Chatham that sells the tool. 

I'm also on the hunt for 100% cotton denim. Dark on the outside and light on the inside. NO SPANDEX please!!! I have a bit more investigating to do, but 100% cotton denim is becoming a very hard thing to find. Spandex messes up the felting process big time, so I need 100% cotton.

Then it was time to get to work. My brain wasn't quite functioning up to its normal speed because when I did some machine embroidery, I goofed. The first part of the stitching is felting and doesn't require a stabilizer. But once the felting is done, you need to flip the hoop and do the embroidery. AHA --- that is what is possible with the Special Techniques Hoop. It's a flippable hoop, and I LOVE it. 

ACK -- forgot the stabilizer


So while the arm wasn't so bad, I didn't like it, so I had to rip out those stitches, add stabilizer, and redo it! Sigh.................


No stabilizer - not good (not good enough!)



I'm doing some more of the same type of designs today, and I'm leaving the stabilizer right beside the embroidery machine!

I'm testing out some techniques with the felting, and I ended up stitching THREE of the snowmen in total. One you already saw, as I finished it and took it with me to Nashville. So I stitched two more of them yesterday. I will finish them off later this coming week, or I might even do some of it tonight. 

The snowman I finished last week



I have three more designs to stitch today, and I really hope to stitch a fourth one, but that might be pushing my limits. Well, not my limits - but these designs take time, and I only have one embroidery machine that will stitch them out. 

I'll do what I can! 

So while the embroidery machine is madly working away, I'm getting ready to test that quilt pattern that I promised I'd do as a favor for someone. OK - I wanted the pattern, and this is a good way to get it in advance without paying for it. OK -- that's a totally dumb excuse because the pattern isn't expensive and I will easily spend a lot of time testing it!! 

The pattern is on my iPad, but I had to print out the cutting charts. I'll have to ask if I can share the picture. You have already seen it, so it should be OK. 

The iPad is sitting there with the pattern.


This is some of the fabric I pulled for the pattern. I'm going to need loads of little bits as I work, but I'll pull them as I need them in the pattern. 

Fabrics pulled for the pattern testing.



And the cutting process has begun. There's a lot more fabric on that board right now, and I hope to get at least two blocks sewn by the end of the day. I dare not use up many of those design boards - those are what I use for my jigsaw puzzle as well. But I should have enough to share between the two tasks!!!


The cutting process begins.

I think I mentioned that Steve Summers (Dolly Parton's Creative Director) stated that he and his small group all had dream jobs. I have to echo that - I'm so dang passionate about what I do - I don't really care if I work 24/7 (I told my boss that and she thinks I'm a nut), but I'm so excited to get up and start to work every day that I'm beside myself!! And you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way. 

Now don't get me wrong - I don't sew all day or sit in front of a machine all day. Hardly. I have the garden; when I remember to give it some attention, I love doing paper puzzles and jigsaw puzzles, and I read a lot! I've already read 50 books this year, both fiction and non-fiction. I'm excited to see that M has read 32 books this year. The apple didn't fall far from the tree!!! And I'm at the gym or walking to try and keep my body in shape. 

I love reading! So I get a variety of activities in the day, and there is the dreaded paperwork that takes up precious time, and often we don't have anything to show for it, but it must be done! 

Two things before I go --- 40 Shades of Grey. If you want to sign up for the class, please call the store (Out of Hand) or email them. I touched base with them yesterday, and I'm going to regroup on Monday, and then we're deciding on the number of patterns to order, with a few extra just in case someone missed the boat. So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE --- if you are intending to sign up for that class, or you know someone who may be interested, send this information to them so they will not be without a pattern. 

I can provide you with the necessary information for a month, but I will NOT share the pattern, as that would be a copyright violation. It will be a great way to use up scraps or find a dedicated colorway. I can't wait to get started!!!!


40 Shades of Grey


And there is a Virtual Retreat TONIGHT. There is NO Virtual Retreat tomorrow because I'm off to wrap puzzles for the upcoming fall speed puzzling events that are held online. I think we have something like 1,100 puzzles to wrap and prepare for shipping!!! Oh my --- what have I got myself into! Of course, I will be excluded from the wrapping session for the three puzzle events that I signed up for. 

I hope there is NO opportunity to purchase puzzles tomorrow. Going to the Puzzles Canada warehouse is like letting a child loose in a candy store!! So many puzzles and so many new ones coming in all the time. ACK!!!!!! 

Here is the link for the Virtual Retreat. We start at 6 PM tonight. 


Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89610782501?pwd=7dCrhiL5t8Xa4TVwZPvhL6cOymbcjK.1

Meeting ID: 896 1078 2501
Passcode: 148311



And on that exciting note, I'm out of here. I have a date with the girls and then my cutting table and the embroidery machine. I can hardly wait to get started. WAIT -- I started the day hours ago - I can hardly wait to continue!!!!

Have a wonderful day!!!

Ciao!!!

3 comments:

  1. Keep the tiny tin! I have one that I use for the wee bits of Wool Applique; it's a lot handier than a ziploc. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’d keep the tin! Great for putting needles, small scissors for a take-along hand sewing project! Thread too big to put in the tin. Wrap some thread around a piece of cardboard - works for me!
    Hope to get to retreat tonight …if I can remember 🤦🏻‍♀️😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hosta’s are usually good with heat and little water. I think they prefer a bit of shade. Your hosta is big enough you could split it in the fall if you need to replace the other one.

    Another plant good in heat no water and full sun is Sedum. It changes a beautiful colour in the fall.

    For your denim needs. Check the thrift store for men’s jeans, they often don’t have spandex and if you get a large size you can get a decent size piece.

    ReplyDelete