Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Owen the Owl Show n Tell

Today, it's all about Owen the Owl. He's from the North Star quilt by Elizabeth Hartman. Just thinking that Quilt Market is coming up soon - I wonder what new quilt she'll have this year? However, there comes a time when you say enough is enough! I have quite a few of her patterns and I've made a few. For me - it's time to move on (OK - so there are a few more that I want to make but there'll be no more acquiring patterns from Elizabeth. Not that I don't like her stuff, but how many more of her quilts do I want to make?

Let's have a peek and see what the class did with their Owen blocks.

This first one is from the kit. I know that some of the participants were a bit apprehension about those wings. There's a lot of detail in the wings, but you know what? Once you got started and did Step One, then Step Two, you got the hang of it and it wasn't so scary at all.



Nancy's Owen the Owl
Here's a purply version of Owen. That purple fabric looks like feathers!


Purple Owen the Owl
Here's a fuchsia version of Owen. Oh - I think this one is Lynn's. I recognize the background fabric.


Lynn's Owen the Owl


Here's one more made from the kit. I think we have three people in the class who are using the fabrics from the kit.

Marg's Owen the Owl

Ah - here's the tan background again. So fun to see all the different colors that everyone chose. Even though there are only 6 or 7 fabrics in each block, it was sometimes difficult to find colors in the selected colorways that provided contrast with the background. Let's just say that if you followed the colors in the book - they are just a wee bit off from a clear saturated color. It was a stretch for me to find stuff in my stash and sometimes, well - I just made do with what was there.

Tan background for Owen

Look at the nicely contrasting fabrics in this block. I can't wait to see all of the quilts together. There are over 20 people in this class - hopefully, we'll get to see 15 finished quilt tops????

Owen the Owl 
Owen is making a statement with these colors! I love the blue background and loads of contrast.


Lots of contrast with this Owen
This one belongs to Kathi. Hmmm - I see she didn't use any owl fabric for the body. She mustn't have been able to find any! I'm sure it exists but would it have had the right background color? I love the mottled fabric that she chose for Owen.


Kathi's block
This one belongs to JoMarie. How do I know? Look - Owen's name is embroidered on it. I absolutely love this idea!!!!  It's brilliant. I also love that striped fabric that she used in some of the blocks. It looks like plaid! I know - it's a stripe, but it reminds me of plaid.


JoMarie's block


There you have it - another amazing show n tell from the September class. Hopefully, there'll be more blocks straggle in at the next class at the end of October.

I know it's hard - we get so excited about a new project and then it seems to fizz out as the year goes along. Well, next year - it's going to take less time to assemble our projects. Instead of starting in January, we'll be starting the class in March. We'll meet for four months, then take a break in the summer and then back for three months starting in September with the final reveal in November. We have one of the projects picked for 2020. I'm still trying to figure out the second project. I'll post the information once we get that figured out.

I honestly can't help myself from tidying up. Where I used to be totally blind to all the clutter - now it drives me crazy. The front hall is filled with stuff that is destined to leave the house, plus the car is filled and I have to get it empty before tomorrow. I'll be sharing all that with you later this week. I'm so flipping excited about this "new" me. I told DH that almost nothing in the house is sacred. Only the quilting stuff is sacred at the moment and who knows - the day will come and that will go as well. But not for a long time.

I hope M will appreciate what I'm doing now. When it's time to downsize or when we're gone, there won't be much left for her to sift through. But more on that later - I took loads of photos.

I did manage to get another quilt done. Another HUGE quilt. There are two more large quilts in the pile and the rest of the next batch are lap size - thank goodness for that!


Customer quilt - DONE

I'm LOVING that new phone of mine. That wide-angle lens is amazing. That photo was taken with the wide-angle lens and it's so simple to choose between the various lens. Plus - it's 16 megapixels. It doesn't get much better than that!!!!  I CANNOT believe I said that!!!!  But this wide-angle lens is perfect to get the complete shot when there isn't much room. I should take a picture of the actual amount of space in front of the long arm.

So here's a question for you - do you know what this is?????  It's shiny - looks like a button, but it's not a button. Oh my - it's sitting on some fabric. Now, what could it be? It's wet! Yep - it's a DROP of water. I took that photo with the phone camera. It was just cool when the water hit the fabric so I grabbed my phone. DH - thinks I've gone totally mad. Yep - pretty much!!!!


Waterdrop on fabric



This was the backing for the next quilt. I had to press the seam in the middle and when I added water to the iron, I forgot to completely close the little lid and this water dripped out. Pretty cool.

The next quilt is loaded on the long arm and ready for later today. I have to teach a class this morning, so it will be much later when I get to the long arm.

I'm also trying to finish off some stitch-out samples on the Husqvarna Viking Designer EPIC that should have been done by now! Funny when I wake up in the morning and wonder what I'm going to do that day. OH - there are quilts to trim, a garment to finish, embroidery samples to stitch-out. And so the day goes! I love my workspace!!!! The work tables are filled with what I'm trying to get done. Right now I'm using Studio B as it's easier when I'm also trying to quilt. I think I put something like 17,000 steps on the FitBit!

It was a nice afternoon so I decided to get myself to the voting station. I was going to take Murphy with me. Then I felt guilty leaving Lexi here so all three of us wandered down to the voting station. That was an adventure! Lexi can tell you all about it.

On that note, I'm out of here.

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment