Saturday, October 26, 2019

Sewing Toys


Even though I'm teaching three classes today (two one-hour-long classes and a three-hour free motion class), I actually feel like it's a "free" day.

Why? Because I'm the one in charge today! I'm going to one place, the schedule is already set, but I'm teaching the classes. It's not that I want or like to be in charge, it's well - I don't know how to explain. Plus the day is shorter - only 6 hours.

And the rest of this week has things booked but not solid days. I can hardly wait! And the best news of all? I get to go to the Guelph used book sale tomorrow. Check out the video on that link to see how huge it is. I don't really care if I find anything and while I would have liked to have gone earlier, I'm just happy that I get to go. I have my list of books that I'm looking for and then I look for anything unusual. I don't plan to buy much - it's just going to be a fun day.

Back to the last day of the meeting. It was an interesting session and even though I'd heard most of the information before, hearing someone else's spin on things  - well I picked up different things. But I was glad when we ended a wee bit earlier than anticipated. I helped to pack things up and then loaded my car with goodies. Lots and lots of goodies. There's so much to play with that I almost don't know where to start! The first thing will be to unpack those machines and start messing around. That's a job for tomorrow afternoon.

Then there's software to play with and I'm getting my Scan and Cut fixed later this week and that's a whole other learning curve. But everything is related and well - I can't wait to get started. Thankfully my schedule is starting to lighten up! I have a couple more events scheduled before the end of the year and if you live in the northern reaches of Ontario (Timmons and Cochrane) - I'll be coming your way in the next couple of weeks.

I've got quilts to design and patterns to write and I hope a whole lot more stuff coming down the pipeline in the next couple of months. Let's just say that there'll be no end of stuff to chat about!

I can't wait for the show n tell today at our North Star and Ultimate block classes. I'll be sharing those with you this coming week.

The pond was closed up yesterday. The fish are NOT happy as they are completely exposed now - all the vegetation is gone and the water level is low. When we got home last night, I glanced outside and saw this. The light was accidentally turned on in the gazebo. Doesn't that look pretty???? My little oasis is inviting any time of day or night.


The gazebo at night

If I have time this morning, I need to pop the remainder of the outdoor furniture into the shed and I MUST buy a cover for the BBQ this coming week. I've drained the outdoor tap for the winter so hopefully, that won't cause any water issues. I'm flipping paranoid right now about any source of water.

Yep, it's time to shut down the outdoors and stay inside and sew!

Speaking of the outdoors, here's a great shot I snapped when I walking the girls the other morning. It was so pretty and as good as my camera phone is, it just doesn't do justice to the sunrise that morning. That would have been amazing standing at the lakeshore which is a couple of miles away.


Gorgeous sunrise


Here's something to keep in mind as you look at your stash and have NO IDEA how you're going to make it go away. I was approached by Claudia from the Toronto Chapter of this organization that makes pillowcases for hospitalized children. What a SUPER idea and each pillowcase uses up over 1 meter of fabric. HEY  - that's a great way to use up your stash. The program is called Ryan's Case for Smiles. There's a pattern for the pillowcases on that web page. Pillowcases are so easy to make - it's what I teach when I do the beginner class.

Think seriously about your stash - if you want to destash quickly, this is a great way to make that happen. I haven't checked out all the details yet, but I'm assuming there are chapters in more than just one place. Get involved in your community and destash at the same time. It sounds like a great deal to me!!!  I'm going to have to look at what I have - I know that I've got loads of fabric that would make awesome pillowcases. And I could use that brand new Husqvarna Viking Amber air s400 serger to make the process even faster. Shoot - I have to teach a class today!!!! I'd rather be sewing!

Hmmm - I have THREE sergers at the moment. If anyone near me is interested in a pillowcase making day, Ill host a day just for making pillowcases. And if you can't attend but have BRIGHT CHEERY yardage that you could donate, let me know. I'm going to be picky - read the requirements on the web page - 100% cotton, no metallic, bright cheery fabrics!!!!  Must be at least 26" by wof.  I'll be happy to host a day so you can come and sew. No need to bring a sewing machine - I've got loads here to share. You might even get lucky and sew on the brand new Husqvarna Viking DESIGNER EPIC 2. 

Oh LOOK - I just scheduled a date - Tuesday, December 3 is pillowcase making day. Let's see how many we can make. And if you can't attend that day, why not make a couple and we'll send them together. Could we make 100 in one day????

On that note, I'm out of here.

Have a super day!!!!!

Ciao!!!!



2 comments:

  1. I have no doubt that you could make a hundred in a day, especially with friends to help you! Be sure to update us. (I don't know why I said that, I know you will!)

    ReplyDelete