Oh my --- working on my projects at a quilt show -- yep - it works, but since I don't have all the tools (like an iron), or I like to take my sweet time to line things up properly, etc., it's not always conducive to working on my stuff at a show. And let's not forget that I have the gift of the gab, and when I'm at a show, there are MANY people to chat with, so I don't focus like I should!
It all works out. I have to get some new quilt designs in order this morning, and I think I'm at the point where I want this quilt done, so if some of the designs are off because I'm still learning, then so be it!!!
Don't forget that all the gab is mostly in French! Yep—I didn't know French very well when I moved here back in 1978. I lived and worked in the Montreal area for 12 years or so, and I did a not-so-bad job learning. I was never super fluent, but the chance to switch from one language to another in a second was one of the things I LOVE about this province.
Getting to do that while here at the show is fabulous. All the machines have been set to French, so that throws me for a loop from time to time, but for many functions, I'm so used to it- I go for the position of the function on the screen, not the words! I still struggle with a few French sewing terms, but it all works out. I might need twenty words when five would have sufficed. I don't care—only ONE person switched from French to English with me, so that is a positive!
I am NOT my father's daughter after all. If Dad wants to learn something, he goes to YouTube. Well, never in a million years did I think I would find videos on rotary sock knitters. But after chatting with some ladies in the morning, OH MY --- there is a ton of information on rotary sock knitters. I have one - it's a gift from Mom - my brothers got the coin and stamp collections, and I got the sock knitter. Hmm -- who got the better deal? I'm happy with what I got, and I already have it.
So when I get home, I need to carve out some time to watch a few videos to see how the thing works and get mine set up!
Claire and I went over to the show early again so we could check out the quilts. I'm determined to see them, and we have almost seen them all. So many are original, which is very interesting. Many are in the hand-quilted category. I have taken loads of pictures with the labels, so I hope to add a few more to the blog over the next couple of days. Today, there are no pictures of quilts, but lots of quilt-related things to chat about.
When I went for a walk in the morning, it was misty, but it was fine. I didn't get wet, and all was good. There is this sculpture in front of the hotel, but what the heck is it for?
 |
| A sculpture in front of the hotel |
Inside, there are names on pieces of metal. No sign, nothing. I checked online and couldn't find anything about it. I should ask at the front desk.
 |
| Inside the sculpture |
And every time we come here, which is every two years for Salon Quebec, there are always these buses of tourists. There are two vans, and they have tons of luggage, all of which fits in the back. I don't know how, but it does. But it's funny that they were here two years ago and they're back again! I wonder if they are from a cruise? It seems far from any port.
 |
| Tourist buses |
OK—I must confess that I have set my phone down several times in our booth and then forgotten where it was. Thankfully, the others are on alert, and someone finds it for me. I need pockets! Or I need to make a tool belt, so I can put my bottle of water and my phone in it!
Of course, I'm looking at all the garments that people wear, and look what I spotted. These two beautiful skirts. They even had retro sweaters on!! I said it was nice to see "younger" people wear these kinds of things, and they replied that they were not as young as I thought. My response? You are younger than I am!!
 |
| Patchwork skirts |
And I will say that I followed them and got this picture, and then I thought - how silly. Just ask them.
 |
| Creeping a lady in a patchwork skirt |
We are demoing all day long in our booth, and someone was cutting snowflakes on the Momento 24" digital cutter. Look how small those snowflakes are!!!! They have fusible on the back and look amazing!! Imagine them on white fabric?
 |
| Small snowflakes cut with the digital cutter |
And here is me giving a demo on the PFAFF creative icon 3.
 |
| Doing a demo on the PFAFF creative icon 3 |
I had a chance to walk around a wee bit, and I spotted some quilt-related goodies in some booths. Of course, there are jigsaw puzzles. I did NOT buy any of this stuff, but I wanted to show that if you are looking for quilt-related gifts, there is a lot out there.
 |
| Jigsaw puzzles |
How about some quilt-related spatulas? You can make a quilt for your kitchen and then have some fancy spatulas to match your fabric.
 |
| "Quilt" themed spatulas |
Of course, there are socks!!!
 |
| Quilt-themed socks |
Speaking of socks—we've talked a lot about socks today. But here is a mystery, and only certain people will get this. A sewing machine brand recently released a Harry Potter-themed sewing machine, and this was hanging near it. If you know your Harry Potter, then you'll get this. If not, don't worry.
 |
| Socks for ???????? |
For the paper puzzler, there is a book of various puzzles. This is volume 3. I might have one of these at home.
 |
| Quilt-themed paper puzzles |
Charms made with metal—these are absolutely stunning, but again, I did not buy any. I have so many already at home that I don't need more.
 |
| Metal charms |
And then I went to the Wonderfil booth to look at things for my upcoming wool appliqué class starting in January. I'll be advertising it again in a week so we can get everyone signed up and get their supplies organized. While I am good at handwork, it's not something I spend a ton of time on, but every time I go into that booth, I want to buy EVERYTHING. The things they made are absolutely adorable, and look at this little square, which is part of a Halloween garland.
 |
| Part of the Halloween garland |
And thanks to Pauline, who recently rode the BC Ferry and spotted the Villager Puzzles in the gift shop. Thank you so much. Pauline has taken numerous pictures for me when she was where I wanted to be, but couldn't make it.
 |
| The gift shop on the BC Ferry |
And there it is—the new puzzle, available only online (Villager Puzzles) or on the BC Ferry. The artwork is by another friend of mine, Cynthia Frenette, who painted the picture for the puzzle at M's wedding.
 |
| Cynthia Frenette's new puzzle for the BC Ferry |
I got Pauline to buy the puzzle for me (more meaningful, even if I didn't buy it, than buying online), and I'll get it from her when we are both home.
Yes—you can buy online, but buying it yourself, or having someone buy it in person, makes the story way more interesting and therefore makes the puzzle more interesting. I shall think of Pauline and Cynthia as I assemble that puzzle.
My rib is feeling much better, and I decided to try a night without painkillers. It's still tender, and I can still feel the pain, but the biting edge is gone. I'll take one today since I'll be moving around, but I can lie down and get up without feeling like someone is stabbing me in the ribs. All progress is good!! And I'll keep up the healthy eating and walking. I feel so much better, and I must keep it up as I go on future trips. I got lazy, and it wasn't good.
Well, I'd better get myself organized, as I have some computer work to do. Last night, I spent some time getting my flights organized for the rest of this month. I didn't catch it at first, but my flights were booked from MONTREAL, not Toronto, so I had to change everything. Sigh...............
And on that note, I'm out of here!
It is going to be a FABULOUS day!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment