OH MY GOSH!!!! If you didn't see it, you need to read the comment about yesterday's fire alarm. It's hilarious!!! I bet those firemen had a story to tell when they got home. I'll be chuckling about that one all day.
And yes—we could turn around and sell our quilts, but it isn't worth it. I do try to find good homes for them, and I should be doing a whole lot more of that this coming winter. I have many that are the appropriate size for Project Linus, and I should just go forth, dig them out, and donate them.
If I have grandbabies, they will get a quilt made especially for them. So the rest can be donated, and there are so many that never get used for anything - no trunk show, no pictures for a class- so they really don't need to be filling up space at my house. Some will work for Quilts of Valor, too. The great quilt purge!
Trust me, I've done some of that, but there's still so much to get rid of. It's time to get it done now. Well, not now, of course, since I'm not home, but I have lots of decluttering to do. When we are ready to move, I'm hoping that all the "heavy lifting" will be done. Heavy lifting isn't just about weight - it's about deciding what to keep and what to throw. But honestly, I think we are good. The ONLY things I want from the kitchen are my two china mugs. I don't care one iota about the rest.
OK—I don't get it, but I called the doctor yesterday, and they said the X-ray is negative. So no cracks, no breaks, no dislocations. How the heck can that be? I am feeling better, but still taking Tylenol so I can function. Can I have a bruise that bad? Can compression alone cause it? It doesn't really matter since nothing will be done with it, but I find it hard to believe. Life goes on, and I just need to be careful, and all will be good.
But it makes you laugh when you see the movies, and they have those huge fights. Bruises, broken bones, and yet they still keep going. OK -- they are tougher than I am! But I guess it's also adrenaline, and let's not forget it's a flipping movie!! Those actors are invincible!
I have contemplated many times going to a naturopath to discuss supplements and such. What I'm afraid of is becoming "addicted" to the naturopath and following some crazy regimen of taking so many supplements and following a strict timeline, etc. We had a short discussion on that subject while we were setting up the booth. But if I am going to take supplements, I would like them to work properly.
It's absolutely HILARIOUS and spooky at the same time, but yesterday we were talking about magnesium. When to take it and with what. And guess what? A post came up this morning on Facebook talking exactly about that. Now that's spooky because when I discussed this yesterday, our phones were nowhere near us. They were under a table in the booth. Creepy!!! And I did NOT search on any search engine!
Speaking of creepy, I'm reading a book about the haunted locations in Niagara-on-the-Lake, which was the scene of the War of 1812 and, of course, if you are familiar with history, a very bloody battle that lasted longer than one year took place there. Lots of creepy things, and who are we to say that ghosts do or do not exist? The book is called Ghosts of Niagara-on-the-Lake by Maria Da Silva and Andrew Hind.
They have many ghost tours in the area, especially around Halloween, which means they are monetizing the ghosts, but who cares. I told DH we should go. I don't think I would have the courage! Even some of the high-end hotels have ghosts. Great—that's all I could think about if I stayed there. I wouldn't sleep a wink! It's the same as when I read all about the ghosts in New Orleans, but would I actually have the courage to step inside one of those haunted buildings?
OH—if you click the header on that link above, there are other towns in that area with ghost tours. I did NOT know that.
I'll just make pretty haunted buildings with my embroidery machine! I'm a wimp!
I haven't been walking the huge distances like I have in the past. I think it was too much for my body, especially since I wasn't doing any recovery (stretching) afterward, but that doesn't stop me from walking, and my goal is 10,000 steps a day, which is sometimes a challenge when I am not home.
So I headed out in the morning before breakfast and found a bike path across the street. There is a large polytechnic school across the road, and the path is probably because of that. I thought this was neat, as there is a bike repair post if anyone needs it. That's handy!! And a portapotty as well.
 |
| A bike repair post on the bike path |
I was nearing the hotel and spotted this on the school lawn.
 |
| An adult jungle gym - it's called the Bamboo Jungle. |
And there are instructions posted as well. It's kind of like a jungle gym for big kids. So when there is loads of testosterone to get rid of, they should be heading here! There is a climbing structure behind it. I wonder if people even use these two structures? Both would be great exercises. I didn't even try—I don't need to be silly at this point in my life, and not with a bruised rib.
 |
| The instructions on how to use it |
Here is our booth at Salon Quebec. We did a pretty good job of hanging the quilts quickly along the wall, and there are MANY sewing and embroidery machines in that booth. One of the dealers came by and said it looked just like a store! And it is just like a store. We have so many samples that the booth is exploding. It's a lot for someone to take in, and we debate it every time—how many samples is too many? But how can you appreciate these machines (and their price) if you don't see all that they can do? And even for the sewing part, we want people to leave our booth INSPIRED, even if they don't buy a machine.
 |
| The Husqvarna Viking side of the booth |
The picture above is the Husqvarna Viking side, and the one below is PFAFF, with Singer in the middle.
 |
| The PFAFF side of the booth |
I didn't take pictures of the Singer machines, but they are pretty cute. And they sew very well - they just don't have all the bells and whistles of the larger machines. I LOVE that they are simple, light, and easy to thread and sew!
And in light of yet another post that showed up on my feed, sewing is definitely making a comeback. Imagine if the entire world took up a creative craft of some kind. Wow—people would be happier, and the world would be a better place.
 |
| YES -- sewing is making a comeback |
So if you have anyone in your family who mentions they want to learn to knit, crochet, sew, or whatever odd craft comes to mind, BUY or find them the tools if you can, or teach them. Be patient, be kind, be encouraging. If knitting isn't their thing, maybe crochet will work better. I've worked with entry-level sewing machines a few times this past month, and I love that they are light and can be packed up in a heartbeat!
And wait until you see the NEW small, very reasonably priced embroidery machine that operates through a smart device/internet. If you want to get away from technology, this probably isn't the machine for you, but it's very cool. That one is called the Singer 9120 and retails in the three figures. It's an EMBROIDERY machine. That's crazy!!!!
This is a link from a US dealer who attended the Global Sewing Summit, and it explains it a bit better than I can in words.
Here is a longer video from Singer if you want more information.
Last week, when I was talking to my parents about the eventuality of a nursing home, my dad, like most parents, wasn't a fan. He was visiting someone recently, and as he looked around, he saw people who did nothing all day. And he is right.
But then I told him something that I think is profound. I told him that he and Mom are very special people, not just because they're my parents. Even though they have health issues, they are active. Mom still crochets and reads; Dad uses the computer all the time and goes to "work" at the Museum. Mom also makes cards and sends them to all of us multiple times a year. They are doing things.
I said that the people who end up in a nursing home or even a retirement home do NOTHING all day at home. So they lose brain function and end up doing nothing when they get to a retirement or nursing home. OH—they had a totally different view after that. I know that simplifies the situation, but you know what I mean.
One of their worries was what would Mom do when she gets to the nursing home. She will go because of physical limitations, not because her brain has gone. She will be allowed to crochet, and of course, will be able to read, so she is set.
But many people do not have a hobby, and work is the only thing they know. When you retire - then what? I can't imagine how boring a life that would be. I don't think I'll have that problem. There is just too much I want to do in life and not enough time.
You have heard me mention the
Gordie Howe International Bridge a couple of times. This bridge connects Windsor, Ontario (Canada) to Detroit, Michigan (US). While I have seen the bridge in person a couple of times, it was still under construction. Then the bridge was ready to be opened, and a few snafus arose. But the bridge is finally open (end of July, 2026), and LOOK!!!! Someone drove (well - I think they were in the passenger seat) and took this picture. That bridge is stunning!!!!!! THANK YOU for the picture -- you know who you are!!!! I really appreciate it when people take pictures of things I can't get to!!!!
 |
| The view from the Gordie Howe International Bridge |
Since engineering is not my thing, I find it absolutely fascinating that they started building that bridge from both sides of the Detroit River and it met in the middle! How absolutely cool is that?
One day, I'll have to drive across the bridge.
I'm also trying extremely hard to eat healthy on this and all future trips. I don't do well with a lot of bread, so I'm aiming for salads and just PLAIN food. I don't need sauces and I don't need complicated. I just want plain. We are stopping at the grocery store this morning to get a salad or something that is already prepped.
Well, it's time to get the day moving. I want to get out for a walk and then meet my colleagues for breakfast. The award ceremony is this morning at 9 AM, and we have wandered through the show to and from the booth, and there are some AMAZING quilts. I MUST get out and take pictures to share with my Monday Sewing group.
It's going to be an amazing day!!!!!
Ciao!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment