Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Kamloops to Vavenby - Day 7

The stats of the day

Daily stats

The next few days promise to be interesting as we have THREE days to make it from Kamloops to Jasper. Not such a big feat when you are in a car, but when you are on a bike - well it takes a bit longer. Just like those highway signs we see - rest stop 10 MINUTES ahead. HA!!!!!   Little do they know that it takes us "slightly" more than 10 minutes to get there.


Leaving Kamloops on the "RED Bridge" and yes it was red. Actually the side railing was wooden and painted red!!!!

Some of the lovely shoulders we rode on

And look at this gorgeous shoulder!!!!!

Having a break in Barriere

I found an even BIGGER Canada flag than the one I brought so I trotted this on my bike for a couple of days!

Hey - Jeff - look at this gorgeous canoe and it is for sale!!!   About twenty KM away from where I took this picture, the truck passed me - STILL with the canoe strpped to it!!!

Lunch in Little Fort









We started off the day with a big descent into Kamloops and then got out of town pretty easily. Hmmmm - we need to start collecting some road trash. If for no other reason than it gives us something to look forward to!!!!!   BINGO - I managed to find a lovely decoration for my helmet almost right away. Now I am not sure if I feel more like a muskateer or a roman soldier!!!!!   (yes - you will have to use your imagination until I get a picture of it)

I find it very stressful to ride with someone in front or behind me. I feel that I either have to keep pace with that person or set a high pace to make the person behind me happy. It is absolutely STUPID to feel that way. So our little group ended up riding apart. But we would plan a meeting place based on our map and then ride at our own pace. The hills are not so bad in this part of the mountains and it was a pleasure to ride although I have to say my butt was getting a bit sore at the end of the day. My fault entirely as I had worn an older pair of shorts that didn't have the best cushioning in them!!!!!!

I was also exhausted from NOT sleeping well the previous two nights and I was lagging on the way in. I need SLEEP!!!!!!


We ended up staying at a community centre in Vavenby. This was a pretty well equipped community centre given that it was in a small town seemingly in the middle of nowhere. Initially everyone was going to sleep in the centre, but I decided that if someone would sleep outside as well - then I knew I would get a much better sleep in the tent than I would with everyone else.

At the community centre in Vavenby
Having a beer after a hard days work


After a DELICIOUS dinner of schnitzel and potatoes that were to die for!!!!!    Thanks Mike!!!!   OK - so we are eating our way through this trip. However did you notice how many calories we expended today - over 4000. And that is just an estimate.
Dinner at the comunity table!!!

Nine PM - time for bed. I think I read one paragraph and that was it. I was ASLEEP!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes - and NO access to cell phone or internet. Drat, but too tired to do anything anyway.
Oh yes - this is my emergency snack. If I need something or don't find something, I can grab a hand full of these crackers!!  For those of you who don't know - I love to play Scrabble and guess what - they make Scrabble crackers. Who knew!!!!!!


Have a great day!!!!!  
Ciao

1 comment:

  1. Wasn't the descent into Kamloops crazy! I took advantage and made the town a rest stop! Well deserved. Enjoying reading through your trip!

    ReplyDelete