Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Farm Girl Vintage Show n Tell


Yikes - I'm not sure what I was thinking when I set up my calendar several months ago. But the month of September has been a nightmare. OK, not a huge nightmare, but this week, I'm out every night and last week was the same. That's just crazy! I see some weeks in October are just as bad. Note to self - DO NOT book so many nights out during the week. That cuts into my reading time!

Today I have the last of the show n tell from the weekend classes. This one is for the Farm Girl Vintage quilt by Lori Holt. There are 45 blocks in the book and after this month's homework, we're down to the last 4 blocks. The blocks come in two sizes - 6" and 12". Some people are making both, some people are making a combination and some people are sticking to just one size. The final show n tell is going to be loads of fun - I can hardly wait, but there's a LOT of work to be done before then.

For now, let's just enjoy the show n tell. There're a LOT of pictures and I'm not going to remember whose blocks are whose. I'll try to insert the names where I can remember but don't be upset if I screw it up! You should all be used to that by now!


Love the pumpkin with all those oranges!

A big star block and a little chicken!

Here's someone who is making big and small blocks. They have the same block in both sizes.

Big and small blocks

The big sheep - this is so darn cute!!!!
 The cow block is one of the extras that you can purchase on the internet. It's NOT in the book. Susan added a bit of glitz to this block with crystals.
An embellished cow with glitz on the tail

The silo barn block is included in the book, but it's not one of the 45. The barn block is big enough that you can fit one of the 6" blocks in the door. How cute to have the cat block in the barn.

Cat block in the barn door
The tractor block is also in the book, but not one of the 45. It's actually quite a large block, but Lynne had someone help her downsize the block. I'm not sure how big her block ended up - I didn't measure it, but it's at least half the size of the original block and it looks awesome. Looks just like the original but smaller! The tree block is in the book, but not part of the 45 blocks.


Tractor block has been downsized 
 The house block is part of the 45 blocks, but the tree is not.

House and tree block


I believe the homework for the summer was 10 blocks - anyway - it was a lot of blocks. Here's a grouping of 6 of the blocks. I love the color palette on this - bright, but not too bright.


Six of the small blocks
We have a few ambitious people in the class. I should mention that the class is also a design class. Everyone was encouraged to do their own thing with their blocks. It was as open as to make ONE block and make a project from that. Marlene made some of the six-inch blocks (very bright) and then made a lot of the houses and trees. This is the end result. Well, not quite as she still has borders to add. Nicely done Marlene!!!

Marlene's quilt top so far



A 12" house block

The silo barn block with a 6" block in the door
 This block was done scrappy in the book, but (shoot - I can't remember if this was Kathy or Valerie) they have made it monochromatic. It would look awesome in a quilt - just this block in blues. Nice!

A 12" block in blues

Monochromatic purples in a 12" block

Spools in 12" block
 You may not be able to see, but she used a grey fabric with a stocking knit stitch as the pattern. It was perfect for the jar lids!
The canning block in 12"

The cream can in 12" 

One of the star blocks in 12"

Mixing bowls in 12"
 I'm surprised, but there are a LOT of people making the big blocks. The big blocks are awesome and you have to make fewer of them to get a quilt! But still, a LOT of 12" blocks.

Here's the strawberry which was super cute!!!

Strawberry block in 12"

Another star block in 12"
 Oh yes - now I remember, these were Kathy's blocks. All those big ones. Do you notice anything? We're seeing all this bright fabric in her blocks and then this one with the old-fashioned print comes up! We all had a good chuckle over that!!!  Good job Kathy!!!


Basket in 12" 
 Now I think these next ones are Valorie but don't hold me to that!


Cream can in 12"

Basket in 12"

Strawberry in 12" 
This is the SAME block as that monochromatic blue above. Totally different look. 


12" block

The canning jars in 12"
 I must say that I really like that yellow print with the little circles on it. It's not my style, but very cute!!!

Bowls in 12"
 And then we were back to the small blocks again. Another grouping of 6 blocks. That was as many as my mini design board could hold at one time. My mini design board which still has NO binding on it!
Six more small blocks

Two small blocks
I know these are Nancy's blocks. She's been doing a number of blocks from Lori Holt's other book called Spelling Bee and she's purchased some additional patterns from the internet. See that corn and tomato block in the bottom left corner? Guess how many pieces are in that block?  Over 90!!!! And it's a six-inch block!  Great job Nancy!!!


Some fun blocks

More small blocks - I think these might be Nancy's as well. I don't remember.

More small blocks
 These blocks belong to Pam and she was also using blocks from the Spelling Bee book. Love the globe!!!

Small blocks
 Another grouping of small blocks. I love how (Mary I think) used that fabric for the fussy cutting in the barn windows, but my favorite is the fussy cut motif that she centered in the cream can. It says Farm Fresh. How cute is that!!!!

Small blocks

More small blocks
These three blocks were extra blocks that could be purchased from the website. Very cute!!!!

Extra small blocks
I think these blocks belonged to Rose as I recognize the Bonnie and Camille fabric collection.

More small blocks
 I think that means that the last set of blocks belong to Jane. Check out the fabric she used for the milk can. It says MOOOOO  all over. I love it and look at the fabrics in her canning jars!!


More small blocks
 And how about that strawberry made with strawberry fabric!!!

More small blocks
 I'm sorry that I didn't get a better picture of this. There were a lot of people and not enough room to take pictures of quilt tops.  This is Karen's quilt. She's used leftovers from another project. All the fabrics have farm animals in it. Some of them are extremely cute!  I should have taken close-ups. I forgot to ask if she was finished?

Karen's quilt
 I should also mention that in all the years that Karen has been in my class, she's never followed the pattern - any pattern! I love it!!!

Raili is in the process of quilting her quilt. I must say we were all a wee bit shocked when we saw the top. She had been bringing in blocks but the color palette didn't really register when you saw the blocks by themselves. But when you see it all together - the colors are GORGEOUS. The picture doesn't do it justice, but the colors pop!!!  She made up the blocks in the middle, but otherwise, the rest of the blocks are from the book.

Raili's quilt - in the process of being quilted


There you have it - a pretty spectacular show n tell. I didn't take a picture of my blocks, but I'm mostly up to date. Although I do want to make some of the extra blocks so I'd better get myself together.

On that note, I'm out of here. A super busy day today - as usual.

Don't forget to check out QUILTsocial today to see what I'm up to. Actually, I'm working on my Farmer's Wife quilt. See what I'm doing with the sashings. Hmm - might be something you want to do with this quilt. Just saying!

Have a super day!!!

Ciao!!!

1 comment: