Friday, September 7, 2018

Routine!

As much as I like to shake things up, there's something to be said for getting back to the routine!

My early mornings are VERY regimented unless there's some crisis that needs attending to and you know what? I like that. The rest of the day can go crazy, but I like the calm, quiet early morning routine. 

And I was thinking about the blog. I hear so often from bloggers who struggle to think of things to write. I don't think I've ever had a problem with that. I have way too many ideas! But I'm also realizing that writing is just one of those things that I love to do. I don't remember getting excited about writing when I was younger, but I've always loved reading and there's a connection between reading and writing. 

I've even considered writing a book and now, well I have several ideas for books rattling around in my head and you know what? I might just follow up and see what happens. Oh yes - can you see me try to fit that into my schedule?  Seriously - there just isn't enough time in the day. No - there is - I just need to prioritize and I'm not good at that!

Writers can't be successful without readers and I thank each and every one of you who reads the blog! I truly appreciate your support! 

Even though I had paperwork and quilting to do yesterday, I just couldn't face that yet. So I hit the sewing machine instead. Well - after I had a nap. 

Here is finish number 53 for the year. I didn't get a better picture of it - shoot, I need to have a hanging system like Tish has. No sleeve required - just clips. I MUST get something like that up because it's annoying to take pictures of these quilts flat. OH - I just need a second rod for taking pictures. One rod with clips and one without. Then it will be a breeze to swap the rods and take the pictures that I need. Now I just need the clips, but I have a feeling I know where some are in my house!!!



Finish number 53
And I'm happy to report that this quilt is already gone! Check out the label and you'll see where it went. 


The label on the quilt


Murphy wants to share that story with you but Lexi is a wee bit lazy these days - I'll see what we can do about that. 

This is my current enders and leaders project. I think you've seen this before when I was sewing all those teeny weeny half square triangles together. This is ONE block and the darn thing measures 3 ½" unfinished. Now, who in their right mind would do this? And there's the issue - "right mind". There isn't one at our house!!

Teeny block of half square triangles

Each HST measures 1 ¼" unfinished and is 3/4" finished in the block. Notice how beautiful the block is from the back as well. All the seams are twirled which is pretty much a necessity because of the small size. Those blocks are NOT bulky at all and the block lies perfectly flat. 

Nice pressed seams
I'm working my way through the pile. You can see the finished blocks on the left and the half block pieces on the right. You'll have to stay tuned to see what it will all end up looking like when I'm done. 

Blocks and half blocks

Then I was able to almost get this quilt top together. It's in three pieces. But I ran out of time this morning and NO - I didn't have time to finish it. I told you my early morning is VERY regimented. I sew until 6 AM and then I have other things to do!


Scrap quilt top - almost together

I think I mentioned that I'm going to aim for 100 finished quilts/bags/wall hangings for the year. I'm at 53 - that leaves 47 to go. Let's not forget that I still have those UFOs to work on. Most of those won't get finished, but they need to get to the "to be quilted" stage. I think it's going to be a busy fall. I'm an optimist. If I don't have a goal, NOTHING will happen. I did a quick count of the number of quilts that HAVE to be done because they have a deadline and added to it, the number of quilts that just need the binding sewn on. Hmm - that accounts for over 20 items. Then I did a quick count of other items that are almost finished - those needing a couple of hours. Hm - there are quite a few there as well. I think it's doable. I really do!  So I have a goal, I have The Task Master to help keep me on track. I really think it can happen. WAIT - can you see me on New Year's Eve, madly trying to finish off stuff. Want to bet????

If only my brain would shut off for a wee bit - I wouldn't get myself into so much trouble, but the ideas just keep pouring out and I can't stop myself from coming up with new things (and new things to do!)

I was having a peek on the internet at pictures of houses where hoarders lived. Hmm - while my Mom has issues, she certainly is NOT at the top of the list. She was a neat hoarder - everything in boxes. Instead of stealing someone's picture - take a look at some of these pictures. They would blow your socks off. Thankfully my Mom is not that bad, but still - it's not good. And look at some of the kitchen pictures. The filth would kill you! Thankfully, we didn't have that (not much) as an issue either. 

Yesterday I was looking for something and opened the pantry door in our kitchen. Gosh - there were many bags of dog treats which I could not find because they were all in bags. So I decided that it was time to clean out that cupboard. 

I've now removed all the stuff from the cupboard except the top shelf which I'm not ready to touch. It's all photography stuff and I don't have time to deal with it this morning. 


Cleaning out the pantry
The stuff got put on the kitchen cupboards. That's one thing about my Mom. She said, "oh your Dad can't find anything". Hm - there's probably a good reason for that Mom - he doesn't want to find anything and there is NO ROOM to put stuff. Let's say you're looking for something - well you have to move five boxes to get to the box you want. There's no room to put the five boxes. I know this is going to sound mean, but my Mom sits in her apartment and "orders" us to find stuff. She has ZERO concepts of what is required to get what she wants. No room to put the boxes, no room to work. She thinks it easy - like waving a wand. But the reality is a wee bit different. Am I bitter? No (OK - maybe a bit) but remember we are OVER the enabling bit. Yep - move on!

I guess the point of that was to say that it's super easy to clean if there is room to put stuff, which is the case in my house. Well in the kitchen. My office hasn't quite transpired to that yet. BUT almost all the stuff is off the floor and on the surfaces. Once one surface gets cleaned off which has happened many times but got covered again. Anyway - bottom line - there is a plan and much progress has been made!!!!

So here's all the stuff on the kitchen counters. And for some reason, I just need to be home for a day and I can quite handily cover that kitchen table with stuff. Most of that is going so it just needs to be dealt with. Won't take long. 


The mess in the kitchen
 Of course, I had a helper. Not sure if you can see her in the background of that picture above, but here she is. Murphy always looks worried. But she's a cutey! I think she was hoping that a cookie or two would drop off the counter. I was messing around with the dog treats after all. 


Miss Murphy
 It's going to be time to close down the pond soon - OK - in two months. But we have tons of baby fish in there. We don't even feed the fish anymore. They are pretty much self-sustaining. It's very hard to see in this picture, but if you look to the right of the center of the photo, you can see a teeny orange spot. That's one of the babies. They are born black and gradually get orange as they get older. I don't even know when we stocked that pond with goldfish of the 49 cent variety. But they live in the pond all year round and seem to be thriving. 


Thriving goldfish


And on that note, I'd better get myself organized for the day. There's a LOT of paperwork that has to be done today. People are waiting for information from me. 

Lots more to share with you tomorrow. So much stuff going on - totally crazy. Well - I just get excited about everything and feel like I have to share or at least write it down. 

Here's the thing - when I was home, my Dad and I visited a lady that used to run the small general store (with her husband) way back when I was a kid. This is in a tiny village 35 miles from the closest town (Battleford). I remember going to the General Store and having FIVE CENTS in my pocket. I would stand in front of the penny candy counter (and it was HUGE) to figure out the best way to spend that 5 cents. Then we could choose what we wanted and it would go in a brown paper bag (a little one). That was loads of fun. Anyway, when I was home, we visited Nadean. My Mom had an afghan to give to her. She lives in a nursing home and is 96 years old. 

When I'm 96 and living in a nursing home, I'll be sitting there with my iPad (or whatever the cool technology of the day will be) and I'll be rereading my blog posts. Won't that be cool! And what will I say when I reread this one? That will be a hoot for sure. Nadean hasn't seen me in years, but she remembered me no problem (most likely because my Dad was there), but I hope that my mind won't be gone. Otherwise, I'll be reading those blog posts and go - what kind of a weird person was this and it will be me!!!!

On that note, it's time to go. 

Have a super day!!!!!


Ciao!!!!

I see Miss Lexi did write in her blog this morning. Check it out

No comments:

Post a Comment