Thursday, October 18, 2018

Information overload


Would anyone like some dogs? They say that having one is OK, two makes life easier and three - well it adds to the mix. But not when the dogs are NEEDY! I now have two needy dogs. They are attention hogs, to say the least. But all is quiet at the moment, so I'm blogging.

I forgot to mention that in the bag of quilts that I received yesterday, there was a book and a pattern. I don't know where the items came from, but thanks to the person. Someone probably asked me if I wanted that book and I've totally forgotten who that was. If you want the book back, let me know. It's by C.J. Cooke.

Speaking of books, it sure helps when you have friends who work for the library. Thanks to Elaine, I've discovered another source of books. I'm not sure why we have so many digital services, but that's OK.  It's called HOOPLA.  Hoopla is a digital source of materials (movies, music, and books). You can borrow up to 15 items in one month. And guess what?  I found THREE of the books that I was searching for.  Now, how exciting is that!!!!!  Not that I need another source of reading material because I'm already doing a great job with the library and Libby. But that's OK.

Twenty years ago, I threw in the towel for my day job and took a year off to get quilting out of my system. That never happened. I had a brief thought yesterday - what if I threw in the towel on quilting to get reading out of my system? That wouldn't happen!  Nope - while I'm reading tons right now, I'm saving the full time reading gig for when I can no longer quilt!

Yesterday, I started a book about New Orleans. I can't help myself. Even in the introduction, they talk about people getting hooked on the city. Help me!!!!

Speaking of books, I want to remind you all of the used book sale in Guelph. It takes place Oct 19-20-21.  I'm super excited but I only have my list to shop from and that list is getting smaller thanks to everyone's help. Here's a link to the event on Facebook.

Now if you're not into book sales, there is an AMAZING quilt show happening this weekend. Actually, it opens TODAY. It's the Cherrywood Quilt Show from the PRINCE challenge. The color scheme is PURPLE. You can see all the previous challenge information at this link.  I see they are PRESELLING the challenge for 2019. I wonder what the color is? And what is the theme? Although I did not finish mine for 2018, I'm going to get the 2019 and this time - I'm starting even earlier.

Here's the information to get to the show. There are 150 quilts included in the show - YES - both shows are here. And there are about 4 Canadians who have quilts in the show including Carol who we know!




In case you're interested, Nancy Zieman's wrote a book about her life.  Yikes - it's not cheap. Then I believe her husband wrote a sequel to the book about her last years. I'm sure they are very interesting as she was definitely groundbreaking in the quilting/sewing world. I doubt I'll ever find that book in the used bookstore. And it's NOT in our library. Anyone have either of the books that I can borrow??

In case you're interested - here's a good read on thread racks. The invention of the thread rack as per June Taylor.

I did get some sewing done yesterday but not much or so it would seem. I loaded a quilt on the long arm and was going to quilt it. However, when I turned the computer on, the battery on the tablet was dead and I couldn't seem to figure out why. I've recharged it with a different charger and we'll see what the situation is today.

Last night we had a rug class at Oh Look Fabric. I got my rug as together as I needed to show the class - well, it won't take long to finish it off. Shoot - I didn't take pictures and I don't see Andy's pictures up yet either. I need to get the embroidery machine, the long arm and the sewing machine going later today. There's so much to do and I can't afford to slack off much even though I've been slacking for weeks. It's time to put the pedal to the metal.

I have a bunch of stuff sitting here on my table that is for the purpose of sharing with you. Things that are silly or whatever.

Today it's about my birthday. In our province, the license plate sticker on your car and our driver's license expires on your birthday. Of course, I was late in renewing my license plate sticker but I was able to do it online. My birthday was the end of August and it was about the 10th of September when I finally got around to renewing the sticker. I know - I'm bad. The sticker was supposed to come within 5 days of the purchase. In the meantime, I carried the receipt around with me in the event I got stopped. Last Friday, the sticker finally arrived. That took a wee bit of time to get to me. OK - I'm lying - I think it came just before I went to New Orleans, but it took me until last night to get the sticker on my car. Now I just have to get the darn sticker on the paperwork on the car ownership! I know - I really could use a secretary!

The second birthday note was a birthday card that I received. Nothing wrong with receiving a birthday card except this is one from a dentist. Nothing wrong with that either - it seems to be a thing that some dentists do. However, this is from a dentist that I haven't seen in MANY, MANY years. So why is my file still there? Well - even if it is - why isn't the file archived. It's not like I'm going back there. Just seems a waste of time and money for someone to make that happen (yes - the card is a standard card that's all printed with the staff names inside) but still!

On that note, I'm out of here. I've got loads to do and I'd better get started.

Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!


2 comments:

  1. Hey Elaine, did you know you can ask your library to buy a book? Or at least you can with the Ottawa Library. Give them a good reason to buy it (lots of quilters would be super interested) and they'll do it.
    Just a suggestion.
    Cheers,
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judith -- I know, but these are old books that the library used to have and they sold them off. Zero interest in reaquiring them. Thanks for the tip! Good luck with all that packing! I can't wait to hear your travels. Why not start a travel blog?

      Delete