Sunday, October 7, 2018

Recovery day!

I had a great class in the morning at the Hobby Horse. A few unruly girls, but they know that so we're all good. The bottom line is that everyone got all the information they needed to finish the project and they're well on their way to getting it completed.

My sinus continued to bother me for most of the day and I have to confess that I was in recovery mode. I really didn't have the energy to do much. I did make it to the grocery store where I had forgotten one thing the moment I placed my items on the check out counter. How many times has that happened to you? Only to realize this morning that while I was charged for the item, the cashier must have put the item in a separate bag, not my basket, and I left it at the store. So I have to go back today to get my item. I hate when that happens.

Went to another grocery store for something else. Both places were a zoo. I know - the day before Thanksgiving - what was I thinking?

Then I have to confess that I spent the rest of the day curled up in a chair with a quilt and a book. I didn't even make it downstairs to the studio - other than getting my pattern for the morning class which wasn't right on the cutting table, but it was easy to find.

I started and finished an entire book yesterday. I was OK with that. I guess I just needed some downtime.

Oh - I should mention that I went to the library as well to pick up my two books that had come in and I couldn't help myself - I walked out with more than two books. That made 26 books on loan. ACK! How did that happen? Thank goodness borrowing books is FREE. Well, I'm happy to report that when I finished that book and went looking for another one to read, I realized that I had a couple of books that were out of sequence in their respective series, so I returned four books this morning.

Then I spent some time this morning logging in the books I've recently got my hands on or that I've read. So I'm pretty much up to date in my book managing. I need to have a list so when I hit a used bookstore, I have something to look for. How sad is that? That takes a wee bit more time since I will only buy a book if the library doesn't have it and that takes a bit of time to check out the library catalog. I'm done with book managing for today. I have work to do.

Today my goal is to drink LOTS of water and at least get that list of TODOs put together. If not, then I'm in huge trouble.

I promised some pictures and so here are a couple of pictures from my trip.

The first one is a picture of Kim (from Kimberbell) and myself with my completed journal cover. She is such a bubbly and fun person, you can't help but like her. OH - yes - I'm going to be working on my Hello Sunshine quilt and you're all going to be jealous!!!


Me and Kim from Kimberbell Designs

I think this is the FIRST time in the entire week that I removed my black sweater when I was in the hotel. It was super cold in the hotel. Apparently, because of the humidity outside, they just crank up the A/C. No thought to using dehumidifiers. That's a bit weird.


When I was at the airport, I popped into the bookstore to see if I could find a book about New Orleans. Nope - no books on local anything, but I found this in the magazine section. Should I have purchased it to get myself up to speed on all the lingo?

Cannabis Now magazine

I talk to some people about the upcoming legalization of cannabis. OK - so my parents - they think the world is going to hell in a handbasket the moment this happens. Well, Mom and Dad - hate to tell you but the stuff has been around for years  - just not legal. I hope I have a more open mind about things when I'm older. Heck - I could start using the oil - hmm - for what? I'm pretty healthy. Oh - I could find a reason, but not yet!

I'm sure you've seen tons of pictures of the architecture of New Orleans, but it's truly spectacular to see in person. Here's a snap of one building with two beautiful wrap-around galleries.  They are NOT called balconies.  The wrought iron work in the railings is amazing.


Two rows of galleries on a New Orleans building



Many of the houses in the French Quarter have windows (or technically doors) completely around the building on the ground floor, which can be opened up for ventilation. I think people used to sleep on the galleries in the heat?  I'm making that up!  But it's humid - there's no question that it's humid there and we were there in October - imagine what it would be like in the summer.

None of the houses have basements because of the extremely high water table so any bad stuff like torture usually took place in the attic. It's a pretty creepy place to be sure!  And of course, all the people buried in the cemeteries are in above ground vaults, not in a grave in the ground. It would have been neat to make it to one of the cemeteries, but that'll have to wait for another trip.

That's about it for today. I must get my butt in gear and get downstairs.

Have a super day!!!!!


Ciao!!

3 comments:

  1. Emilie Richards (author of The Wedding Ring) has just released a series of suspense novels that take place in New Orleans. Great stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate --- OH NO!!!! I'm going to have to get my hands on those. Thanks for the heads up!!!!

      Delete
    2. She published them herself through Amazon.

      Delete