Wednesday, December 19, 2018

What I've been doing............


I thought there would be tons to share with you today since technically I haven't posted about my stuff for four days. Hmm - when I edited the pictures this morning, there isn't that much. BUT - there are finishes that constitute a lot of work.

Without further ado, let's have a look.

I got the binding on that bright orange community projects quilt for our guild. Hm - now the question is - should I count this as a finished project? I made the backing, quilted it and bound it. But I didn't make or have any part of the making the top so I didn't count it.

Community projects quilt - DONE
Next up was to put the binding and label on this giant quilt of mine. I made it a couple of years ago and it got quilted a while back. The back is Fireside fleece and the front is flannel. I thought it would be awkward to get that binding on by machine, but it was super easy. I used a 2 ¾" wide strip of flannel for the binding and it went on like a charm. The trick is to sew about 6" and see if the seam allowance is correct. If so, then proceed. If not, adjust it and test again. It's now on a bed in my house! This is finish number 75 for the year.


A quilt of mine - DONE
I got the label on this Halloween quilt that also belongs to me. This is the last one from that huge pile of Halloween quilts we made back in 2012. The binding had been stitched on the front and needed to be handsewn in place. Pat very graciously offered to hand stitch it down for me. I felt bad, but she wanted to and it had been sitting for 6 years, so all that remained was to add the label.  This is finish number 76 for the year. This one will likely get put on the sale list as I sure do not need another Halloween quilt. I must get some quilts up on the internet and start selling them. I'll be sharing that story in a week or so. We live in a house that's overrun by quilts.


Another quilt of mine - DONE


Back to work on Audra's quilts. This one is totally finished. I got it quilted and put the binding on and it's in the box waiting for the last two to be finished. I'm counting this one as finish number 77. Hm - I didn't count her Underground Railway quilt as a finish. Now, why am I counting these? Well, I wasn't going to - I see it wasn't in my book. But I did have a lot to do with making the quilt tops and then finishing them off. This is a wee bit of a grey area. Since I'm making the rules, I can count this as a finish for me. Maybe I should have counted the community projects quilt as well. Oh well. It doesn't matter - the number of finishes is just that - a number. I started to keep a list as a means of seeing all that I did throughout the year. Next year, I'll keep a separate list. Those things I finish for others and things I finish for me.


Audra's Simple Country Sampler
Back to the long arm which is working like a sweetheart. No issues. Just operator issues. This next quilt has lots of little ends sticking off the edges and even though I was standing right there and had my hands on the edge to prevent this - it happened anyway.


Edge got flipped up
 But that was easily repaired and I'm a whiz at getting the pattern back in place and fixing up these little booboos.


Now it's fixed and that tag will get chopped off when the quilt is trimmed

The quilt is done. This quilt was designed by Patti Carey (Northcott ColorWorks Concepts and Colorworks solids for fabric) and she donated a kit to our guild for our community projects. Helen Anne pieced the top - not an easy feat. I offered to quilt it. I made the backing and it is done. Well, it's trimmed and ready for the binding to be applied. This is a job for later this week.


Community projects quilt - quilted
Then it was back to Audra's quilts. This is Garden Twist. The top was completed - there's a big cream border on the quilt. Before the heat of the iron had even disappeared from the last pressing, it was loaded on the long arm.


Audra's Garden Twist


It's now quilted and partially trimmed. I have to make the binding (using the leftover backing to make that happen).


Audra's quilt - quilted
After this one is done later today, there's one small wall hanging of Audra's to quilt. It needs a bit of custom quilting which is why it keeps getting pushed out. But no more pushing. Let's get it done!!!!

But that's not all. I had the Husqvarna Viking Designer EPIC fired up as well and I was doing some Kimberbell journal covers. There are five in total (so far). They just need to be trimmed, turned inside out and they will be finished. I hope later today to finish them up. You see - there is so much that is so close to being finished. That's my focus for the remainder of the year, but at the same time, I need to get started on the samples for the upcoming classes and more samples for my Freelance Educator gig with SVP (Husqvarna Viking and PFAFF).


Five journal covers - almost done
 Speaking of embroidery - does anyone remember these???  This is how embroidery designs came when I got my very first embroidery machine TWENTY YEARS ago. A far cry from my current machine which has access to the internet and I can transfer designs to it through the internet. Even though I still put the darn designs on a USB. Just habit!!!!


Old style for moving embroidery designs


Somewhere in the house, I have an external drive for the 3 ½" floppy disks. I might see if there's anything interesting on these disks. If not, they get trashed. If so, then the files will get transferred to the external hard drive and then trashed. The disk drive will then get trashed as well. I mean put in the electronic recycling.


Hm - a wee bit of work was done on the puzzle. Ronda missed about 6 edge pieces but I hunted them out as I laid out all the pieces. A 1,000 piece puzzle takes an entire 6-foot table. I've done a wee bit more work on it, and it has to be done in three weeks so I'd better get a move on. This is NOT an easy puzzle so it's going to take time.


Jigsaw puzzle under construction


And that's it. I've been finishing stuff off and there's a whole pile more that's so close to being finished. I need to STOP running between machines and focus. I could get a lot done then.

Today is going to be a day of running around, delivering stuff, or picking up stuff. I don't think much is going to happen in the quilting department. But that's OK. This other stuff needs to be done.

On that note, have a great day!!!!


Ciao!!!

4 comments:

  1. Nice Elaine! I wondered about those extra bits :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was totally my fault for glancing away at that very moment!!! Always a learning experience.

      Delete
  2. I came across embroidery designs on floppy disks not long ago. I hope I still have the external drive to see what is on them. Good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Marti!!!! Good luck with the designs. I might try and find my floppy disk drive today to see what treasures (or not) are on them. Gosh - hard to believe how things have changed in a mere 20 years with the embroidery designs. But I guess that is an eternity in the technology era. Have fun!

      Delete