Monday, December 17, 2018

Table Runners - Show n Tell - Part Three

I'm back with more show and tell from the Table Runner class.

Vivenda sent me some pictures of runners that she has finished but I never got photos of. They will be at the end of today's post! Thanks and if any of the others from the class have runners that they would like to share that so far haven't been posted, send me pictures.

I also got a note from Donna. The reason she made all her runners square? She donated them to the local NICU. Isn't that a great idea? She gets to use up some of her fabric stash, she gets to have something to make (we're all makers!), she practices her free motion and then someone benefits from the end result. Great job Donna!!!  I'm sure you had told us at the beginning of the class, but alas, I had forgotten. If you want to do this, I'd check with your local NICU to see what requirements they have.

And guess what? This morning, I found the lost table runner bits. I'll share that with you tomorrow. It's not as bad as I thought.

OK - let's get back into the show and tell.

First one up today is Simply Simple by Cindy Lammon.


Simply Simple by Cindy Lammon

This runner truly is simple. I know there were many others completed, but I don't seem to have pictures of them. It's a great way to showcase a fabric you don't want to cut up. Look at this one with cardinals on it.
Cardinals as the focus fabric


And a second one that has totem poles as the focus fabric. It's a super simple one to do some free motion practice.
Totem poles as the focus fabric

Oh - I found one more. This is beautiful with that focus fabric with the huge flowers. You wouldn't be able to appreciate it if it had been cut up!

Flowers as the focus fabric


This next one is mine. I finished the binding on it last week. It had been sitting in that pile of bindings to be stitched in place. It's finish number 73 for the year.


My version of the table runner


The next one is called Farmhouse Favorite by Kathy Brown.

Farmhouse Favorite by Kathy Brown


This one was really long - 74". I think some of these could easily have become a be runner. We got some nice variations of this runner. Purples and blue with a pop of pink.

Blue, purple with a pope of pink
A modern coloring with greys and yellows.  I think that both the one above and below were quilted? The one below is for sure. At least some people were piecing the runner and doing the quilting rather than just piecing the tops.

Greys and yellow
Here's a Christmas version. Well, it might not be Christmas, but it reminds me of Christmas. That busy background in the "setting triangles" would be perfect to practice some free motion quilting and not be worried about it standing out. Busy prints conceal a lot of the learning curve.


Green, red and white version

These belong to Sarah and although they are not the same layout, I think she took the basis of the log cabin block and just made one round. Notice how busy the fabric is? That's good for beginners.

Placemat size practice pieces
 Then she quilted them in two different ways. Her L's (in the one on the right) are so smooth and look amazing. I know the front is so busy you can't seem them - that's why we have the back view. But progress was definitely made in the quilting department.

The back of the placemats


Nope - I didn't get this one done. But it might be one of the ones I pulled fabric for. I'm going to check that out later today and will share tomorrow.

Next up is Window Panes by Mary Etherington and Connie Tesene


Window Panes by Mary Etherington and Connie Tesene

This one wasn't as popular - at least in this format. But this version looks awesome and I do believe that it's bound! A great way to use up a charm pack of squares. The sashing (in two different sizes) is a nice touch and in this case, there is a lot of contrast between the sashing and the half square triangles.
Table runner made with half square triangles and a bit of sashing

I think Donna made this with her half square triangles. I'm not sure and since she was changing things up - I'm putting it here.


Donna's version using half square triangles


This one is mine. All greens. Notice how the sashings give nowhere the same effect as the high contrast ones. I didn't have enough fabric for the border so I ended up not putting one on. I do have a dark green binding for it so that should frame it nicely. It's in the "to be quilted" pile.


The sashing has low contrast for a totally different effect


The group likes simple as you can see from this next one which is called Flying in Formation by Mary Etherington and Connie Tesene.

Flying in Formation by Mary Etherington and Connie Tesene

I wasn't keen on the size of this one - very narrow and long. But take a look was what made.......


 This version (quilted and bound) was made shorter and it's a classic combination with cream and red.
Classic cream and red

This one is a wee bit different than the original. Can you spot the difference? Yes - the flying geese units in the center are reversed~ But I like the wild mix of colors and it's also shorter and it's quilted and bound! I sure wish I could remember who each of these belongs to!


The center is changed and nice bright colors!!!

Another version of classic red/white. This is gorgeous and it's quilted and bound!

Classic red and white
A darker version with a border to make the proportions a bit more in line. I love the colors.

A neutral version with a border

This one belongs to Vivenda and is a darker version. Look at the quilting. Nicely done!!!!

Vivenda's version of Flying in Formation - nicely quilted!!



This is very pretty how they alternated the fabrics within the flying geese formation. A small border around the edge frames it nicely and then a floral for the binding. Did you notice how many of these ones are quilted and bound? Why is that?

Alternating fabrics within the flying geese

Another version with a busy print and a tan color. It's bound with the busy print.

A tan version of the table runner

And another runner in purples and green (my new favorite).  I love the floral prints mixed with the solid reading greens. It's also quilted and bound!

A purple and green version

And then there has to be someone different in the group. If I remember correctly this is Shelley's. Not surprising! She made it with a charm pack and did NOT match her fabrics when she created the flying geese units.  I really like the effect and it's hard to believe that this one was made the same way as all the others.

Half square triangles where the colors are not matched to make the flying geese units
 She had enough fabric left over to make a placemat.


Matching placemat

Here's a class blue version. They've also added a small border to the outer edge. I'm not much of a blue person, but anything in blue looks amazing!!!!!

Blues are always a good combination

Here are my runners. I made two of them - both shorter than the original. One I added no border and on the other, I added a substantial border. These are in the "to be quilted" pile.


My runners


Oh - when I was browsing the photos this morning, I realized that I missed this table runner. This is Patricia's version of the string pieced block. Sorry - the raggy edges are my editing, not her piecing. I know she was quilting it and hopefully, she got it finished. I'm going back to post this with the rest of the string pieced ones but in the event that you've seen that post already, here it is.



And there you have it!!! One more exciting day of table runners. I'll post Vivenda's runners tomorrow asI still have four more runners to post, but there aren't a lot of pictures.

On that note, I"m out of here!!

It's Monday sewing - the best day of the week!!!

Have a great day!!

Ciao!!

No comments:

Post a Comment