Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Focus focus focus!


I'm not sure why I wasn't focused on quilting before. I mean - focused on finishing projects. I would flit from one project to another until I had a room full of UFOs. Why does it take "experience" AKA aging to bring that point home? If only I was this focused when I started, I'd be laughing! Now I'm in the midst of a major cleanup. So if you're new to quilting, DO NOT let those UFOs get out of hand.

However the good news is that it's like shopping for free. The UFOs that I have are still amazing and I'm more skilled and well - just happy that I'll be able to sew for a long time without any further major expenses in the fabric department. Thread might be another issue.

Off to Monday sewing where I got the next block for the gingerbread quilt ready to sew. I had to trace and prep the center red star, but the rest of the pieces were done. Yes - there are 44 circles! They had been done a couple of weeks ago. And yes, the yellow flower centers are rather wimpy against the background. I'll be highlighting them with brown embroidery floss when I get the applique done.


Next gingerbread quilt block prepped for stitching

I did get the three long green stems appliqued in place. I was getting tired in the afternoon and had a couple of errands to run so I did leave the sewing group a bit earlier than usual. However, great progress is being made on these blocks even if I only work on them on Monday.

I also started to prep the next block. Obviously, I was out of sorts yesterday. I was prepping some hearts and didn't use the right red fabric. I only got three hearts instead of four. Not to worry. When I got home, I grabbed the red scrap box and found a very close match. It'll do.

Ran out of the top fabric - found the bottom fabric in the stash

I have enough of the green stems left over from the previous block so I won't have to make more. Anyway, here are the bits for the next applique block. There are lots of circles to make for this next block as well. Not 44, but still lots.

The next applique block is partially prepped

To recap - I have one block in the stitching process. Four pieced blocks (two at 12" and two at 6") that need to be cut and sewn together. One applique block is in the prep stage and one applique block hasn't been started yet. I think that's pretty darn good progress. Can't wait to get this done and then pick the next applique project from the UFO list. What a clever way to focus on these blocks!!

When I did get home, I went to work for a bit on the sunflower quilt. While it's not on any list, I do want to get it done so I can use it as a sample. I manged to get all the satin stitching done around the sunflowers - all the yellow. WOW - that was easy.

All the yellow stitching is completed

I had a few spare minutes before it was time to call it a day, so I stitched one of the green leaves. I'm so happy that I bit the bullet and did the satin stitching. I love the look. Now only 12 more leaves to do. Some of those bits are tricky with indentations and bumpy edges, but really - it's no big deal. I'm just in the zone!


The stitched leaf looks better than the one with no stitching


Here's the second wall hanging in the stained glass style that I'll stitch around.

Another stained glass project that needs some stitching

I thought I'd share these photos from our front step. This first one was taken in the morning last Tuesday. That was the morning after the big snow storm. Lots and lots of snow everywhere and quite the task to shovel it all.


January 29, 2019


Then we had some crazy WARM weather. This next photo was taken early on Monday morning, February 4. Notice that the street is clear of snow and how much the snow has receded around the lamp post on the left.

Monday, February 4

And with even more warm weather, this is what it looks like this morning. Sorry for the dark photo, but it's still dark outside. See how much snow melted in ONE DAY. We have NO snow in our backyard and it doesn't receive sun all day. Totally crazy!!!!


Tuesday, February 5

One more person has joined the UFO group via correspondence since they can't get to the meetings at my house. We chatted about it yesterday. This is from Quilter's Patch by Edyta Sitar. She has two quilts to make and her goal is to get them both completed by the end of the year. The goal for the March meeting is to have all the blocks sewn together. If I know this person, she'll have way more done, but that's OK. There's no rush - just meet the commitment is enough. And she coughed up the cash so now she has to get it done.


Diane's partially completely quilt

I love these beeswax food savers. I picked up another pack at Oh Look Fabric. She has a local supplier who makes them. They are the best and very environmentally friendly. We don't use Saran any more.

Beeswax food savers


A couple of pictures from the mall when I was there this past weekend. Gearing up for Valentine's Day. Anything to make people buy more stuff!!!!

LOVE at Erin Mills Town Center
They also had this big heart made with gorgeous paper flowers. I loved it! There were white benches on both sides so you could take selfies. The theme for the center space was "outdoor park". It was actually quite nice and someone was playing the piano although there was so much noise, you couldn't really hear the music.



A big red heart for pictures!

I don't go to the mall often, but whenever I do, I'm totally mesmerized by the big ball. From the outside, this ball looks ridiculous, but from inside, it's actually quite spectacular. Erin Mills Town Center - you should go!!!!  And I have to say that the mall was quite busy for a Saturday. I rarely go on Saturday, but it was so nice and warm and I totally forgot it was Saturday. I didn't see any empty stores either!


The big ball at the mall!!!




Since I'm running out of time, I'll share the post office story with you tomorrow. I was part way through the story here, but I don't have all the information. That's for tomorrow.

On that note, I have a huge list of things that I'd like to get done today. I can already cross off the sunflower applique. The part I wanted to get done today is DONE.

Have a super, productive day and try to get out for a walk if you can. It's going to be nice and then it'll get colder. Nothing like a good brisk walk to get the blood flowing.

Ciao!!!!!

15 minutes late - my computer is to blame. While working better this morning, something still isn't 100% with the memory!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment