Sunday, February 10, 2019

One more spool of thread bites the dust


I was at IKEA the other day because I was looking for a cabinet to put my thread in. I thought of the ALEX line of cabinets. I already have two of the wide ones, but I didn't want a wide one. Gosh - I'm not sure I even have room for a narrow one. Initially, I wanted the tall cabinet, but it proved too heavy to lift by one person, so I settled on the short narrow one.

It's now made. Very simple and no parts left over. That's always good news.


My new cabinet
The previous ones I purchased came with wheels. This one does not! Why is that??  I would really like to have wheels on it so it's easy to move around. I'm sure I can find wheels at the hardware store or back at IKEA? It's perfect for storing threads and my embroidery supplies. Having the cabinet made clearing the tables of all the stuff that I'm using for embroidery a very easy job this morning.

Then it was onto working on that last panel for the design wall. When the bookcases went up, one of the panels had to come down. Rather than disassemble that panel and cut it down, I bought a new insulation panel, measured it, and cut it down. All that remains is to put the flannel on it and attach it to the wall. 

Cutting a new panel for the design wall

The panel has now been shortened and made a wee bit narrower so it'll fit. The flannel is pulled from the stash and hopefully later today I can get a chance to make that happen.

Insulation panel is now cut to shape

While I was working on piecing something, I managed to empty one more spool of thread. That's crazy how many have been emptied so far this year. I'm good with that - it means I'm being productive. Not seeming to get tons finished these days, but making progress none the less.

Another empty spool of thread

I taught the second class for Hello Sunshine yesterday afternoon. What a great group of students. They were completely done their homework. No excuses for this group! And they went gangbusters on the next group of homework and many got several blocks done during class.

Here are my "sentiment" blocks for the Hello Sunshine quilt.  Yes - I should have used a more contrasting thread color on that second one. Ack - why is life always a learning curve? Even after years of experience.

Two sentiment blocks

Two more blocks. These are so cute and would look good on a pillow or bag or even as a small wall hanging. Again, the bee (yellow on the green block) is a bit weak. My thoughts? That is going to draw someone in to really look at the details of my quilt!  That's my theory and I'm sticking to it!

More sentiment blocks
They also had to make FIVE pineapple blocks. They have chenille (three layers of cut fabric) on the pineapple part. Mine hasn't been roughed up yet, but it's cut and ready for that to happen.  There are four small one - this block is cut to 4  ½" square. Tiny!!! There's one larger pineapple block as well.

Pineapple chenille block


Those blocks are from the Hello Sunshine quilt by Kimberbell in case you're wondering.



It's going to be a busy day as we regroup for our UFO buster. I've talked to a couple of people already and they have completed their task and even went beyond! Amazing how motivated people can get by $10. I love it!!  I have to think that it's not just $10 that's the motivator. I think it's a bit of peer pressure? You make a commitment in front of a group of friends and well - you'd better live up to everyone's expectations.

On that note, I'm really early this morning. Which is good. That'll give me time to get through e-mails and try to get a couple of other things completed before the group arrives. Needless to say, there are a few semi-urgent things sitting on the cutting table that really need to be addressed NOW. I'll be working on them as well.

Have a super day!!!!!

Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. I keep my threads in plastic project cases that I bought at Michael's (a craft store.) They are:
    12.9 in. X 12.1 in. X 1.5 in. (33 cm. X 30.9 cm. X 4 cm.) The tall spools lay down and the small spools stand up in the cases. I put the threads in color families and store the cases on a book shelf. I can see the colors, so I pull the correct case out. The cases have hinges, so the top never gets misplaced!

    Although we have different methods of organization, we are both making an effort to be organized! (Oh, I keep my serger thread in a very deep and old piece of Tupperware That I don't think they make anymore.)
    Have a good day sewing. My goal today is to start making Christmas gifts. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Torry -- thanks for the tips on thread storage! I too have those plastic cases - lots of them and I use them for projects. I love that we have different storage methods. The best thing is finding something that works for each of us to save time finding stuff. Good luck with the Christmas gift sewing. You're way ahead of me!!!! Elaine

      Delete