Friday, May 17, 2019

A quilter quilting quilts


That's me - a quilter quilting quilts.

Our language is pretty weird. By using the word quilt and adding three different endings, I have two different nouns and a verb. And it makes a sentence! I'd have to say that my grammar has vastly improved since I spend so much time writing. I use Grammarly which is an add-in that you can load for free and it'll check your spelling and grammar. It's a love/hate relationship I have with that software. It's good, but frustrating at the same time. And then once a week, they send you an e-mail with some stats.

Here's mine from last week.


Advanced Errors


So while this software is a good thing and it does catch a lot of errors, you see that BIG yellow box. I have 1,275 ADVANCED errors. What's an advanced error?? Is that huge? I've no idea. I want to see an example. Not possible. And one of the annoying things is that sometimes, the program will highlight an error when I'm not even finished the sentence. No wonder, there are missing periods!

The version that I use is free. I want EXAMPLES of what those advanced mistakes are before I would even think of coughing up money to pay for the upgrade. Did you see how they sandwich the"bad news" (the number of mistakes) in between the "good stuff"?  You are more productive than 98% of Grammarly users. What exactly does that mean? Who are the Grammarly users? There must be a ton of people who have downloaded the software and never write. Or use it to check their e-mails. Then look at the last category. I use more unique words than 97% of the users. Again - who are those users???  But it's the middle category where I'm "failing". I am only 45% more accurate than the rest of the users.

Anyway, if you check this chart online, you can see what the paid version will give you. It's not so much about spelling and grammar, but run on sentences, and overused words, etc. It would probably tell me that I shouldn't use so many exclamation marks. I guess, if I really wanted to be an excellent writer, I'd pay for that software. But I'm good!

What does that mean???  The few other people that use the software are almost perfect! So you better buy the upgrade so you can improve this stat!!! I hate that kind of under the radar marketing tactic! No worries, I like the software as is and if there are glaring grammatical errors - so be it!!!


Anyway, I have been doing a bit of quilting behind the scenes. I just haven't posted the pictures. So here are some quilts that I recently finished.


Customer quilt - done

This next one is fun as it's my pattern!!!  That's cool. Here's a link to the pattern. 

Customer quilt - done
And another one. I did help a wee bit with the design process of this one.

Customer quilt - done

And the last one for today is this one. This is the front.

Customer quilt - done
 But have a look at the back! It's a very modern quilt!  Great way to use up leftovers!

The back of the customer quilt


I plan to get heads down on the long arm over the next two weeks and get completely caught up! There's not much left in the queue and would be good to get all that out of the way before summer hits. I can hear that gazebo calling my name!!!  The next one is already loaded and maybe later today? If not, then tomorrow.

Last night, I decided it was time to get myself in gear and get something done. So I worked on this.


My rectangular rug

Yes - that is MY rectangular rug. The tubes were all made and it was half together. Time to stop messing around and finish the darn thing. I couldn't find the bobbin that I had been using and I wasn't sure I was going to have enough thread left on the spool, but I wound a bobbin and plunged ahead. In a matter of about one hour, the rug was together. DUH!!!  Why do I do that to myself and leave these almost completed projects???

I dug through the bucket and found two strips that had been set aside to bind the short ends. I might get that done today!!!  Did you notice that the rug is more or less symmetrical in the coloring??


Fabric to bind the ends of the rug

I see there's a ton of blue fabric in that bin, along with a whole pile of batting strips. I have a sewing day planned today. Hmm - should I be working on that? No - I shouldn't but it would be a great mindless task. Then I found something last night that I could work on today. Should I be doing that?

Well, I'll get some stuff done and you'll just have to wait until tomorrow to see what I did.

I had a terrible sleep last night. I woke up around 2 PM with my big toe joint tingling. What???? It didn't hurt, but I was so restless. After lying in bed for an hour, I got up and took some Advil. That dulled the tingling and I went back to sleep. But I slept in and even then, I was a total zombie when I got up. That rarely happens to me, but I'm better now. I wonder what that toe tingling thing was all about?  Oh well - it's not swollen and it's fine now. All I could think of was gout? But nothing serious.

On that note, I'm out of here.

Have a super day!!!

Ciao!


4 comments:

  1. Would not worry about Grammerly, it's more than likely American and they don't do English the way we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat!!! I think I'm good - I just want to know what I don't know!!! Elaine

      Delete
  2. Love the pattern thanks for the link. As for your toe it might have had something to do with the email. Kind of like an internal warning system.

    ReplyDelete