Friday, May 3, 2019

What was lost is now found...


The other day I was digging through stuff in the basement. I was looking for some blocks that I wanted to photograph for a magazine submission. I swear that bag of blocks is upstairs, but do you think I can find it? Nope. So I searched the basement as well. I just had that bag in my hands within the last couple of weeks.

Oh well, I found a workaround for the photo (thank god for taking pictures for the blog). But in that process, I found quite a few other things that I was "missing" and I found a few more bags of half square triangles. Oh dear - that's not good.

Yep - there are more bags of half square triangles. I think most of these are sewn together and just need to be trimmed. I guess I'm not good at the trimming part. I did get a bunch trimmed yesterday morning and was going to trim more this morning, but that didn't happen.


More bags of half square triangles

And yes - there were even more! There's so many in that bag in the front, that I'll probably make something just from those. Lots of different patterns to try out and with the quantity that I have, there's no reason that I can't do that! Let's play "what if" with those half square triangles.

Even more bags of half square triangles
In case you think that I don't do anything with them, I also discovered TWO projects that are almost together. Notice that I didn't give you a reference to their size?  You'd think I was totally crazy if you saw the scale of these. But they are sitting beside the sewing machine so I hope I can work them in as enders and leaders. They both have good stories!!! 


Some blocks made with scrappy half square triangles

I had been looking for some Elvis fabric that I needed - well wanted so I could work on something else. The something else is so totally not urgent, but I'd like to get it done. Well, I couldn't find the Elvis fabric. Oh - I found some in my novelty bin, but not what I was looking for. Guess what? I found the Elvis fabric. I was going to borrow from Ronda as she also had some, but no need to borrow. Thanks for the offer Ronda!


The missing Elvis fabric is now found
I had also been looking for pillowcases. Pat had given me a stack of pillowcases that were to be used to make pet mats from my scraps. Do you think I could find them? Nope - not to be found anywhere. Well, guess what? Yep - I found those in the basement during my search for that bag of blocks. Now a few of them are upstairs and ready to make pet mats.  I've got two bags of scraps ready to stuff into the pillowcases.

"Lost" pillowcases

I also found my index cards and my tape that I'm going to use to label some drawers so I can better locate some project stuff in the future.


"lost" index cards


I'm dropping some bags of stuff off at my local high school this morning. It's fashion and home dec fabric that has been languishing around the house for a while. Stuff left over from M's quick foray into sewing. Stuff that I've had for sewing for me for a while. Scraps from school projects when M was little. The back seat of the car is packed. I'm going to be very happy to get rid of it. Then I can move the next set of items into the car so it can also be given away.

I've had several monkeys on my back for the last couple of months. Things that I need to do and then they'll be gone. Do you ever do that? You hold onto things despite the fact that the sooner you do them, the easier you can breathe? I've no idea why I do that. It's totally crazy. Well, I got rid of one of those things yesterday. I feel so much better. Actually, that thing has two parts and one part is gone - the second part will have to wait until next week, but it shouldn't take too long to make that go away as well. Why oh why did I wait???

It's that kind of paperwork stuff that I deal with in the morning. If I were to get it done right away, then perhaps I wouldn't be spending as much time with paperwork?? Oh yes - I NEED to find a way to make this paperwork flow better. That's my biggest issue in life! And this morning, I have something that is totally URGENT because I've been putting it off. Why? No idea!

And the best news, I also have the basement that I've been putting off. I wasn't home much in April so it wasn't my priority. But I need it to be my priority. I've got an appointment with the flooring company on Monday to choose a new floor. While I'm excited about it, I know it's going to be a tremendous amount of work to make it happen.

My goal is to start bringing stuff upstairs that I no longer want. I'm not sure how much is there that I don't want and for the moment, I'm only going through non-quilting stuff. And I have some stuff that I want to play with that I haven't had time. So I'll be keeping that.

As I go forward with this basement repair, I'm going to do some serious organizing. At this point in my life, I don't mind to have the quantity - I just want to make sure that I have easy access to it all. That's my goal. Not adding more - just getting better organized and getting rid of what I know I don't want. I can't wait to see the final set-up for Studio B. It's going to be fabulous!!!!

And then to find the time to work on some personal stuff for me. That happens but just doesn't seem to happen often enough. Better scheduling? Better focusing?  Oh heck - I can't complain. I get a ton of stuff done, I'm happy and that's all that counts! And I need to say NO a whole lot more. I'm getting much better. I'm going to have to make a list one day and post it so I can keep track of what I'm saying NO to for future. It seems that the only way to do that is to make a list. Why do I have to be so detail oriented? That drives me crazy - but it works for me.

On that note, I'm out of here.

Got some road adventures this weekend. It's going to be crazy.

Have a great day!!!!!

Ciao!

4 comments:

  1. After downsizing, donating, selling and discarding stuff for the last 2 months, I agree with you about keeping what you want/love but labeling it for easy access. Now that we are officially just living in the RV, we are starting to create homes for everything. Today was garbage day at my friend's house (we are camping in her driveway) and we had 5 bags to add to her pile. Plus another bag going to the thrift store. I can't wait to see what your basement looks like when you're done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - and I guess as time goes by, things will become even less precious and the decision to throw away will be easier!! Good luck finding homes for stuff. You're going to be a pro at squirreling stuff away.

      Delete
  2. You kind of remind me of me. Well you get way more done than me but then you take on more than me....it's the loosing things and finding things that you forgot about that is like me....luckily for me I don't have a usable basement or I'd really be in trouble....it's all just squished into the sewing room. Hopefully you get it all done at some point. It seems to be a never ending battle as far as I am concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - oh yes - I think we are all very simliar. There are many times when I wish I didn't have so much stuff. Many times, yet I spent so much money and am a wee bit reluctant to just get rid of it. Let's just label well for the moment and enjoy it.

      Delete