Friday, May 31, 2019

What??


I had a pretty productive day yesterday despite the fact that I walked to the mall and sat out in the gazebo for a spell.

However, I was merrily doing some paperwork in the morning when this arrived on my screen. NOOOOOOOOOOOO

FictFact is closed!!!


I used this website to keep my book series in order. You followed the ones that you were reading and then changed the status of each to "read" as you read it. It was easy to then print off a "next books" list when you needed one. I had printed mine off not that long ago. I would print it out about once or twice a year and use that as a guide to finding the next book in a series.

Now it's gone!!!!  All because of some issue with Amazon. Seriously??? Stupid Amazon - just one more reason that I deal with them only when nothing else will do. I refuse to buy ANYTHING from their website unless I absolutely can't find it anywhere else. They are CORPORATE GREEDY and do not care about the little guy whatsoever. I don't care how cheap their products are or how quick they deliver, I won't do it. I'd rather go without or evaluate whether I really needed it in the first place before I'll buy from them.

Now I know that they own a LOT of stuff and I'm probably using some AMAZON feature somewhere. Trust me - they are EVERYWHERE and you don't even know it!

We were able to grab a spreadsheet of our books off of the website, but I opened it up and well - I'm not sure I even know how to interpret it. There must be something else out there. I remember talking about FictFact a while back and I do believe that someone brought another site to my attention, but I don't remember it. If anyone knows of something that keeps tracks of BOOK SERIES, I'd like to know. I already have another database where I keep my books that I've read, but it's NOT the same thing.

Thankfully that's a first world problem and I'll figure something out. I did before but I wasn't as organized as I am now with my books.


So today really is the LAST day that I talk about the Windsor Quilt Show. These pictures have been sitting waiting to be edited for a long time. These are the books that I got in my $1 bag of books at that show. What a great way to obtain some old books.

There might be a couple here that I already have. I won't be able to confirm until the books get unpacked in the basement. I know that the reference books are already packed up.


Two quilt reference books
I may have the one on the upper left, but definitely, do NOT have the one on the right.  I may have both of the ones below. I know that I have a number of volumes of the one on the left, but I don't think I have 1989.

Quilt reference books

I have a feeling that I have the one on the left, but definitely not the one on the right. Hey - better to grab the book - it basically didn't cost me anything. I can give them away or sell them once I've confirmed whether I have them or not.

More quilt books

Same here - I know I don't have the one on the right, but the one on the left? I may already have it.

Two more quilt books
I buy almost anything that I see referencing log cabin quilts. My favorite pattern. 

And more quilt books

Here's the last one. Oh yes - I shoved a LOT of stuff into my $1 bag of books.

One last book
I love these old books. They are mostly picture books of historical quilts. So much of what we see today is NOT NEW. Not by a long shot. Everything has roots in these old historical quilts. My goal when I can no longer quilt or I don't quilt for a living, then I want to explore the history of quilts. I know I shouldn't put that off, but I'm OK with leaving that until later.

I had some takers on the Marti Michell patterns and I started to take the binders apart. The stack on the left is ONE copy of the pattern - each month is tucked inside a page protector. The stack on the right is duplicates of the pattern and EXTRA non-critical stuff for the shop. It's going in my printer paper pile. But what a waste of paper and space within a quilt shop as all that fit into a large binder and it's all duplication.

The pattern has been separated

There's the big binder, along with extra page protectors. I think they could do a better job of being more environmentally friendly.

The big binder that is going to be donated



Did you check out that Quilter's Estate Sale that I posted yesterday???  It was advertised on Facebook. Apparently, all the jelly rolls are gone! Can you imagine? They went from one person's stash into another person's stash. How many will actually get used????  Not my problem!!!

I had a fun phone call yesterday. Do you remember this quilt that I quilted a couple of weeks ago?

Community projects quilt


The person who donated the quilt to the guild called me!! I forgot to ask why she donated the quilt. It's a beautiful quilt and it's big. There's a ton of work in it and it's well put together. Anyway, for anyone interested, the quilt came from a book called Away From Home by Nancy & Oliver Rink. The book tells stories of the girls who worked in the textile mills in Lowell, Massachusetts. I'm so glad she called. I liked the quilt before - I like it even better now. Thanks, Jeanette for letting me know the background to the quilt!

I still have to put the binding on the quilt - hopefully, this weekend. The strips are cut and need to be pieced and sewn on. It won't take long once I get started.

I do have two big jobs to get done by Monday morning and I have three days to do them. I should be OK. I have a class tonight but other than that, the next three days are MINE!!!

And to top that off, I started a new book yesterday. I'm almost a third of the way through. A totally different murder/mystery concept. If you like mystery/crime - it's a good one. It's called Find You in the Dark by Nathan Ripley. 

On that note, I'm out of here to get started on my projects.

Have a great day!!!

Ciao!!!



2 comments:

  1. I feel like the estate sale was actually the closing of a store. I couldn't find any information about who's estate it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AH -- let's hope. That was a LOT of jelly rolls!!

      Delete