Thursday, July 25, 2019

How to move a mountain - one box at a time


There are some days when I sit down to write about what happened the day before and a total blank! Thank goodness for pictures! I actually spent a good part of the day figuring out some new technology which I'll share with you tomorrow.

Once the technology stuff was sorted, I was hefting boxes in Studio B - determined to clear some space. Here's what happened.

One of the things that I'm really trying to get coordinated is to put similar things together. I don't care if they are upstairs or downstairs or wherever, as long as all of the same kind of thing is together. Case in point, on the weekend, I was trying to find the inserts for my portable sewing table. I had inserts that had been unearthed, but they weren't working. Then later that day when I went upstairs, I found two more in the bathroom. Shoot!!!

I have this odd little corner in the storage room and didn't know what to put there. All the extension tables and inserts (that I'm not currently using) for my two sewing tables are now stored in one spot. I think that's the first time ever. When I need an insert, I can find the right one very quickly.


Inserts and extension tables for the sewing machines/sewing cabinets


I was determined to get through the huge stack of boxes that was close to the long arm. I'm not sure how many there were in this area, but loads. Many of them were books and magazines so that was good to get those emptied. This is the area where I store the "to be quilted" stuff. You can see my tubs on the right of the photo. That wooden frame supports the customer stuff. I didn't take a picture after I was finished, but it's all organized now. I know of two of my quilts that are missing from that area, but I'm sure I'll find them in a box. I still have one more huge stack of boxes to go through. But now that the wooden rack is moved, I'll start from the front of that stack and work my way back into the last area. It's truly like being on an archeological dig.


Getting organized in the "to be quilted" pile

Speaking of quilting, yes - I did get a customer quilt done last night. Yeah!!

Customer quilt - done

I was getting tired by then and wasn't going to load the next quilt, but then I thought better of that idea. Needless to say, the next quilt is on the machine and ready to go today. It's one of mine for a magazine so you won't be able to see it. But I HAVE to keep up that pace or I will never get through my quilts. I'm doing pretty good with customer stuff.

So how are those bookcases looking after emptying all those boxes???  Not quite full but close.



The books
There's still one almost empty shelf in the corner and along the bottom. There are also places on almost every shelf to add a few more. I'm running out of shelf space and you know what that means - time to cull. Don't judge me - I know I've got an obsession with books. I blame that entirely on my mother!!!


The same obsession with the magazines, however, there's still loads of space on those shelves. I've got a plan, but I needed to get them out of the boxes first.

The magazines

That was a LOT of lifting. It's more my hands that played out than my arms or back. But it sure feels good to get that one pile gone. There are also a few things now on the work tables that need to be dealt with before I start on the next round of boxes.

Here's my gingerbread block. It's almost all stitched in place. A few of the candies at the bottom and the roof remain to be stitched. However, I'm not sure that I know where my white thread is for that. I hope it surfaced in one of the boxes of thread that I found last night. I also need to search out some red Ultrasuede for the heart windows. The edge of that roof is going to be fun to needle turn.

Gingerbread block

 So here's something for you to contemplate. Someone showed this to me the other day. It's a stamped tablecloth ready for hand embroidery. The pattern is stamped on it. How many of these still exist and have never been started? See - we get our habits from our parents!!!

Anyway, the tablecloth is up for grabs for free if anyone wants it.





Table cloth ready for embroidery


Detail of embroidery design

Detail of embroidery design





Don't forget to check out QUILTsocial today. Something very cool and a great way to embellish projects.

On that note, I"m out of here. More computer work this morning and then I'm back in the studio for the remainder of the day!

Have a super day!!!

Ciao!!!!

8 comments:

  1. Wow....Read your blog this morning, went for a few groceries, checked the mail box on the way home and there is my new Quiltmaker magazine. Coffee and glasses in hand out on the back deck I go and have a good read. Your article is fabulous and so happy you chose the picture with Murphy. Congratulations on making the centerfold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat -- thanks so much. Yep - couldn't not include the picture with Murphy. She's very much a part of the sewing process as she HATES to be alone!!! Thanks again. Elaine

      Delete
  2. Ooops. forgot... I have one of those embroidery tablecloths in my stash some where, it's half done so I guess I should finish it. Too bad you reminded me now it will play on my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Pat!!! Yep - get it out and when you're sitting on the deck, you can do a little bit each day. Believe it or not, but someone called within an hour of the posting for that tablecloth!!!

      Delete
  3. I embroidered a tablecloth and napkins when my son was an infant. He is in his 40's now. Wonder where they are? (The tablecloth and napkins; my son lives 4 minutes away!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Torry -- too funny!! Yes - they were all the rage years ago. My Mom embroidered pillowcases and tablecloths. I do know where some of them are - I think. Nice to have your son so close! Thanks for following. Elaine

      Delete
  4. I wish I lived closer, I might have been interested in in the tablecloth. It's a good "on the road" project :) Maybe it's a good thing I don't live closer, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judi-- yep - good thing you're not closer!!! Don't worry about the tablecloth, I got a call within an hour of posting and it's gone to a good home. I'm pretty sure the person who got it will in fact get it done. She's that kind of person!!!

      Delete