Monday, July 8, 2019

Retreat Day Five


I'm back home. As much fun as it is to go away, it's great to get home. The girls - well, let's say they were a wee bit excited and would NOT leave me alone when I was trying to read. Then I let them outside and they were perfectly happy to play by themselves. Hmm - those two dogs should be outdoor dogs and would be if Murphy didn't bark!

I never ride my bike on the last day. I reserve all the time for sewing. I love how relaxed we all are on the last day. Some of the retreats in the past, people were madly packing up first thing in the morning and were gone. Most of us stayed until noon and then packed up.

It always amazes me at how much stuff we all take. Except for Tish - she's a minimalist. I keep saying that I'll do that one day, but it doesn't happen. I should start getting things prepped for the next retreat. Cut all the pieces, add in all the extras needed like threads and stabilizers. But will I want to work on that when it comes retreat time? That's not until November, so I might feel totally different then. I'll wait! Despite not being totally prepared and forgetting my presser feet at home, I think I accomplished a lot. I'm not complaining and if my "system" works - then why fix something that doesn't need to be fixed.

I got a LOT done in the morning before leaving. I got the two borders on that quilt and I got a table runner made as well. I'm unpacking and taking pictures, but I don't have a lot of time this morning.

Why? Oh so help me god. I need to learn to set priorities. I have something that needs to be finished for work. I couldn't work on it while I was away because I had forgotten to take my presser feet. No big deal - I'll have time when I get home.

So when I finally did get home after getting stuck in the cottage traffic returning to the city - although it wasn't that bad. Took an extra half hour. I unpacked the car and took things upstairs or downstairs depending on where they were going. Then I decided to sit in the backyard and have a break. A reading break. I pulled out a book that I had read a wee bit from at the retreat.

Needless to say, the rest of the day was a write-off as I attempted to finish the book. I have less than 100 pages left to go (from 445). I did get some of the applique done for my project and I'll have to finish the rest of it when I get back from Monday sewing. It won't take that long.

What book am I reading? It's the third part of the Promise Falls Trilogy by Linwood Barclay. I'm not sure how much more this town can take but I HAVE to find out what is happening. I know that Linwood doesn't tie up all the loose ends in the book. I'm not sure I can deal with that. I may have to write my own ending.

I fired up the dehumidifier in Studio B, but that was about the extent of the work that I did down there yesterday. I also had to find my Accuquilt cutter - well, the box of dies. That was easy - it was on a shelf. Hopefully, after I get my mini project completed and get the pictures sent off, then I can unpack a few boxes.

I have to get myself organized as I have a Sit n Sew next week!!!!  I also have a charity sewing day and I have to get prepped for that. Oh yes - it's going to be totally crazy for the next two weeks.

Before I pulled out that book, I was busy making backings and bindings when I got home and I'll be sharing all that with you this coming week.
Image may contain: 8 people, people smiling, people standing and outdoor
The girls at the retreat

I remembered to take my tripod so it was a snap to get our group shot. If you are looking for a retreat house, I highly recommend Fireside Retreat in Orillia. The house is great and it's relatively close by. Super place and a great quilt store (Thimbles and Things) just minutes from the house.

OK -- that's it for today. I might sneak in a chapter or two or I may just go to Monday and finish the book in the sitting room. Then I can join the group for Monday sewing. ACK!!!!

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!

2 comments:

  1. I read the Promise Falls series a few months ago and couldn't put them down either. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you know there is a fourth one??? I have it on hold at the library.

      Delete