Tuesday, July 30, 2019

May Your World



I'm not sure how this happened, but except for two short classes that are repeat classes so don't require any prep work, I have NOTHING scheduled for TWO entire weeks. How the heck did that happen?

Now that doesn't mean that I don't have things to do. What it means is that I actually have loads of time to get those things done. No deadlines, no pressure. Now that's not entirely true as there are deadlines, but nothing super urgent at the moment. The trick is to not fritter that time away and actually get work done!

I did manage to get a quilt quilted last night - it's one of mine destined for a magazine so I can't share it with you. But you'll see it soon enough. I think there are currently four more magazine quilts that are waiting to be assembled. 

In case you're looking to fill your calendar, here's a couple of classes that I'm teaching at The Hobby Horse in September. 


Bench Buddies

These little pillows (done with machine applique embroidery or regular applique) are the cutest things around. I'll be making samples this week and sharing with you. I want to make them ALL. They are small - you'll get one done in class and no UFO. The pattern is by Kimberbell. There are two different sizes of pillows for each month and there are two different books so far. A nice touch to change out each month.




Machine quilting


So if you haven't taken a machine quilting class with me - you should. There are so many factors related to machine quilting and it's NOT just about you and the machine. It's about needles and threads and solving your problems when you quilt at home when there's no one around to ask questions. If you're not sure about machine quilting, then you need to take this class. This is a technique class. NO UFOs to contend with. Matter of fact, this will help you clear up those UFOs.


POSH Santa


I showed you the sample that I made a while back. Here it is again in case you don't remember. It's so cute. And surprisingly, it's easy. YES - even with all those curves. You should have no problem getting this completed in a day. That's what we're looking for - classes you can finish in a day!!! This project uses the Sew Kind of Wonderful Mini Ruler. They have loads of other projects that use this ruler so it's not a one of kind of thing.


My version of POSH Santa


There are other classes, but this is a start. If you've never taken a class with me, you should. I try to make the classes fun, yet everyone goes away learning one little tidbit on pressing, accuracy or whatever.

You need to call the Hobby Horse to sign up.


Mondays are a strange day. First off, it's the BEST day of the week especially when we have Monday sewing. And there are times when I think I come home with more than I take. But the laughter, the conversation, the friendships - it's just the BEST. You cannot get that on-line or through social media. You just can't!

Yesterday, I got the backing for one of the community projects quilts that we worked on earlier this month. Lynn took the yardage home to make the backing for this giant quilt. That one got moved into the "to be quilted" pile.


To be quilted for community projects

Diane was finishing up the quilt that she took home. WHOA!!! That's pretty bright! Actually, the quilt above and this one are the SAME design. Just realized that. I have scraps of the two colors left so I hope to have enough to make the binding. I'll be doing that later today. This is a very fun quilt - I grabbed scrap yardage of several hot pinks and three small yardages of the other fabric. Cut it into strips and it went to Diane for sewing. There's a LOT of work in this one - we won't be doing that too often. The huge one above had been donated to me - it just needed the borders on and then it was done.

One more community projects quilt tops - done!

So what's the progress on the gingerbread quilt? I got the roof stitched in place and the rest of the candies. That leaves the hearts for the windows. I'm so excited  - I'm very close to getting this done.


Gingerbread block is ALMOST done

I very easily found the basket with the Ultrasuede in the stash room. It's amazing what you can find when you have access to everything. However, I've decided that if I persevered with fabric for all the other small bits, that I'm going to make the heart windows out of fabric as well. I'm going to try and get the edges turned under this week and then I'll stitch them next Monday.

Ultrasuede from the stash

Since the applique is almost finished, it's time to find another hand project for Mondays. I do have loads of projects that need prepping, but I also have this embroidery quilt. I think there are three blocks left including this one. A while back, I had traced all the lines onto the fabric. It's time. I can't take this home to my parents as every time, I pull it out, my Mom asks - is that the same embroidery (that I've taken each year for many years!)

Embroidery project 

If there are only three blocks left - then I should get it done in a reasonably short time. It's on my Dirty Dozen list from 2018 and it would be nice to start getting rid of some of those projects. Those quilts on those lists are the focus of my Monday sewing.


I wanted this to be a surprise for M, but I have to share it with you. I sent her a picture yesterday and I had to laugh at her comments. OMG DID I WRITE THAT ON A NOTE? along with a lot of laughing smiley faces. Nope - she didn't write it on a note - she drew a map. A map of our street with labels and colors. I discovered the map when I was cleaning up some of her stuff. I had a good chuckle about it, but when I learned that the challenge for Quilts at the Creek was Map Your World, I thought it would be super fun to convert her map into a quilt.

The original map

I enlarged the original by 200%. Ripped through the fabric baskets to find the big pieces needed. Sewed the background together and then appliqued the houses on. I satin stitched around all the houses and trees and then used my embroidery machine to do all the lettering. I had a lot of fun making this piece. The proportion is a wee bit off from reality, but as I was making this in M's old room (Studio U), I could see the one TWO of the three HOT GUY houses from where I was stitching.


M's neighborhood map recreated in fabric

And one of the "HOT GUYS" still lives at home and he waved to me the other day as he came home from work. I was walking the dog - he didn't see me in the studio! That would be wrong!

And for the record, Murphy goes hysterical whenever I see the Mom walking their dog (Bentley). She just can't control herself. Why is that???


When I did my walkabout at Quilts at the Creek, the ladies thought it would be a great idea to take a picture of them pointing to the hot guys. I LOVE IT. Thanks to all who came for the walkabout. It was a lot of fun and I LOVE this picture.


Ladies pointing out the HOT GUY houses

I'm going to phototransfer her map onto the back of the quilt and add a label. Hope to get that done this week. I do NOT want to have this hanging over my head - get it DONE.

I didn't mention that on one of the sewing days a couple of weeks ago, that we had a visitor. Someone was coming to pick up stuff that I had posted on my blog. So Cathie and Gail stopped by and Cathie brought me a couple of little presents!!!  Thanks so much, Cathie! I love the dish towel and the license plate (from Row by Row) is ADORABLE!!!!



Embroidered dish towel and a row by row license plate



On that note, I'm out of here. I'm super excited. The next quilt is loaded on the long arm. I've got lists of what needs to be done - I just need to focus and I'm going to have a great day! We have a gentle rain happening right now. Hmm - I could still sit outside in the gazebo and read. But then I could stay in the house and listen to the audiobook while I work!!!!

Have a great day!!!

Ciao!!

2 comments:

  1. The map quilt is fantastic! It gives me an idea on what to do with a couple of art pieces of my son's that I kept. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun Judi!!! A great way to have fun and make something fun for a family member.

      Delete