Friday, February 25, 2022

The money pit

Progress is being made -- I've got the homework done for the class tonight and working on the presentation, which won't take long. The homework for the weekend classes is mainly cut and ready to sew, and that's a job for later today. The best part of all this is that I should have ALL the homework for February finished and up to date with the Virtual Retreat this weekend. Then I get to start all over again next month! I have a bit of applique to stitch in place and some strips to sew together. 

But not before I make my Master TO DO list (March) for all the projects to keep me on track. I'm not out of the woods yet, as those extra jobs on the list need to be done, and I need to find time to make those happen. 

I finished one of my writing tasks, and the other one will take only a few minutes to complete this morning. That leaves ONE left to do by the end of the weekend. That is good to get that off my list of things to do and just in time since a new list of things to write comes up next week. 

Since what I'm sewing can't be shared with you yet, here's a couple of pictures from one of the UFO groups last weekend. I'm amazed at how much people are getting done. There are some overachievers, to be sure, but hey -- if the group motivates people to get the project done -- then it's a win-win, and they can move on to the next project. 

For those of you who think those UFOs will magically get done -- think again! 

Oh, that's weird -- the pictures got loaded in reverse order. 

Val finished a couple of blocks and got the quilt top sewn together. This is adorable!!!! This is an Elizabeth Hartman pattern


Dogs in Sweaters (travel themed)


Suzanne is quilting this Border Creek Station mystery quilt. The coloring is so subtle, but it's stunning. 


Border Creek Station mystery quilt


Susan finished this quilt top. The blocks were collected on a Shop Hop that happened in her area several years ago. It's stunning, and with the light shining from behind, it looks like a stained glass quilt. 


Susan's Shop Hop quilt

Shannon finished the quilting on this quilt, and it's even cat-approved! The quilt is called Belgian Lace. 


Cat approved!

She also assembled and started to quilt this project, which resulted from a class from years ago. 



Shannon's abstract quilt

Rose is working on completing the blocks for her Farmer's Wife quilt. 

Blocks from Farmer's Wife

Instead of only four blocks, she got eight done and is now ready to assemble the top. 


More blocks from Farmer's Wife

Maryke finished a couple of cushion covers for her neighbor. 


Cushion covers - DONE

And she also got half of this quilt quilted. 



Maryke's sampler quilt - half quilted!


Marg finished all the applique on this positive/negative quilt and got it put together. The pattern is one from  Wanda's Designs.


Positive/Negative applique quilt


Lucy is going gangbusters with hand applique on this project from McCall's Quilting magazine years ago. It's called Robert's Floral Garden, and The designer is Robert Callaham. She has two blocks done!


Lucy's hand appliqued block

Lucy's second hand-applique blocks



Kelly finished some Christmas placemats and a runner with piping on the edges. 


Kelly's Christmas placemats


Joanne finished the quilting, and this quilt is also bound. The pattern is by Sew Kind of Wonderful (curved ruler), and it's called Are we there yet?


Joanne's curved piecing quilt -- DONE


Heather completed this paper pieced project by Judy Niemeyer. Quilted and bound! 


Heather's paper pieced leaf - DONE


Gillian is working on her Nebula (Jaybird Quilts) quilt. Not only did she get Months 6 and 7 done, but they were stitched into their appropriate sections. 

Gillian's version of the Nebula quilt



Cheryl went crazy. She was going to complete the quilt tops, but her long arm quilter had time, and the quilts are now quilted and bound!! I think this first one is a version of a Hunter's Star. That's amazing! 


Cheryl's quilt - done!


Here is Cheryl's second quilt this month! 




WOW -- that's incredible, and doesn't it make you want to drop everything, get into the studio, and sew and quilt? Knowing that these UFOs are getting done is HUGE. I don't seem to be proceeding as quickly as I would like; but I've gotten more UFOs done in the past couple of years done than I ever would have thought. It's only because I am FOCUSING on them. Making lists and keeping them in my sights is so important. I don't have a list of all of them -- that would be overwhelming and counterproductive. That's why I add 12 each year to the list. 

Some of these UFOs are HUGE and can't really be done in a month, so we take baby steps and progress towards getting them done. I feel pleased about taking those steps! 


OK -- so here's the money pit story. I mentioned that Murphy broke a toenail. Actually, it split, probably because it was too long, and got caught in the deck. 

So I took her to the vet, and they clipped her toenail so it won't get snagged on anything. I should know how to do that, but I can't do it! She got antibiotics, just in case. 


Our money pit


The vet said it wasn't bad as it was still attached but split. Poor thing - I know she's not comfortable and not happy, but there's nothing I can do about it. 

A boo-boo


Let's just say that she's pretty subdued compared to her usual self. 


Sleepy Murphy


Of course, Miss Lexi was quite upset that she didn't get to go in the car! 


What about me? I'm a GOOD dog



And the best news of all? I managed to get a grooming appointment for Murphy! Yeah!! The groomer at the vet took pity on her and booked an appointment. 

I might as well just tie money in a little bag on Murphy's collar, so when she needs something, she can pay for it! She's a money pit compared to Lexi. Sigh.....................   Thank goodness she's cute!

And what's with the snow? Ooops -- I'm not supposed to talk about the snow. But things had just dried up, the sidewalks were almost clear, and we got a covering of snow last night. Nothing huge, but can't we have dry sidewalks for more than one day? 

Here's a QuiltCon Video to watch today. I think this is all the quilts at Quiltcon. Thanks again to Laura for suggesting this link. A great way to stay in touch with what's going on in the modern world for those of us who weren't able to make it. And you know what? A part of me is glad I didn't go. I saved a ton of money in travel expenses and buying unnecessary things; I didn't have the time, and well -- I'm happy to check out the photos online!



Don't forget the virtual retreat this weekend. Remember, it's open to anyone, and it's free. You can come and say HI or stay awhile and fire up your sewing machine and sew along with us. It's really just an open link to chat with like-minded people! Not scary at all. 

Saturday, February 26, Starts at 6 PM   Eastern Time Zone

Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89254233911?pwd=VGQrTnFybW1HMWpleHA4M2Q2NGVwZz09 Meeting ID: 892 5423 3911 Passcode: 982797


Sunday, February 27  --- Starts at 11:30 AM   Eastern Time Zone


Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81693717518?pwd=STNoVVQzbDd4ZnROQndNNlpvcC90QT09 Meeting ID: 816 9371 7518 Passcode: 579285



Have a super day!!!

Ciao!!!






2 comments: