Sunday, October 13, 2024

When men recover from surgery

I am still a slug! Every day is better, but that energy level is still missing. All that travel and carting stuff around took a toll on me. A few more days, I suspect, and I'll be as good as new. I'm much better than earlier in the week, so progress is going forward, which is a good sign. 

As for DH -- let's just say that he has a new appreciation for what surgery means. I swear he thought he would be incapacitated for the remainder of the day he had his surgery, and then he could start working the next day. 

That didn't happen! 

In fact, I think he made a couple of phone calls during the week, and that was the extent of his work! There were a few physical issues to work out, but why would you even consider asking me for advice or taking my advice because what do I know about men or surgery? 

What have I had to deal with?

Me: Why don't you prop your arm on a pillow to take the weight of the arm and the brace off your supporting shoulder.

DH: I can't do that. Nothing works. 

DH (later): My shoulder (the other one) is killing me, and I need you to loosen the brace. 

Me: Have you considered propping your arm on a pillow to take the weight of the arm and the brace off your supporting shoulder? 


Then I had to show him how to do it, as he couldn't figure it out. I noticed he's been propping his arm on the pillow ever since. But ONLY when he's 'on the couch. So many times, I see him without a prop—seriously? You deserve every bit of pain you feel in the supporting shoulder. 

The painkillers will mess with your intestines, and despite another pill to counteract that, he has had issues. 

Me: Do you want some Metamucil? 

DH: No. 


Later, after consulting his sister, who is a doctor, he asked for the Metamucil and glasses of warm water. Things are OK now. But sheesh—don't listen to my advice. Then you deserve to suffer!

As for the actual shoulder, most of the constant pain is dissipating, and he can extend the time between the strong painkillers, which is a good thing as there are only a few days left. He moved to the couch to sleep (my first suggestion), which was poopooed. He wasn't sleeping well in bed, so he moved to the couch. Sigh... 

He's just feeling some sharp pains occasionally, as he thinks he is trying to move the arm in his sleep. So all seems OK -- except that he doesn't take advice, which is nothing new around here!

I will be glad (and I imagine he will be as well) when that brace comes off. He'll still have to wear the shoulder sling, and the shoulder won't be able to be moved per se for a while, but at least it'll be easier to do things. I think we have a physio appointment at the end of next week. There is a follow-up with the surgeon the week after. 


As for me, I will NOT grab another book when I'm finished with the one I'm reading. I started an Anne Perry, and they are page-turners! This one was published in 1980 but written in the Victorian Times in London. Oh my --- let's say that those upper-class Brits were NOT nice. They had low regard for anyone other than their own class. Policemen were tradesmen and NOT liked. 

Here's one thing that I struggle with, and this is not just the Brits in Victorian Times, but it happened in slavery as well. The master and his family had no or little regard for the servants/slaves as people, but if the master needed relief (you know what I'm talking about), they had zero issues having a "good" time with a young servant girl or slave. Or it could be a servant boy as well. 

If the girls got pregnant, they were dismissed in disgrace or were forced to have illegal abortions. As a result, many of them died. It's shocking to see the double standards that existed, and you can see why, many, many years later, we still have issues with how women/girls are treated and how we struggle in today's society. 

I'm almost finished with the book and will NOT start reading another. The weather is beautiful, and I'm outside reading for most of the day! I'm perfectly OK with that. I told DH yesterday that I should sell off everything in Studio B since I spend little time there these days. 

Just kidding- I did get downstairs and made the backing for the next community project quilt. 


The backing for the next quilt

Then, I did some machine embroidery. I had to use the software to design my project. I was stitching the final part when I realized I should have changed the thread. It looked a mess, so I decided to remove the bad part. Of course, I tore two small holes in the fabric on the last part of ripping out, so I now have to restitch the darn thing. GR!!

Two holes! 

But look what happened upon my door yesterday!!!

The EXIT Game Advent Calendar!!!!

It's the 2024 EXIT Game Advent Calendar!!!!! Thanks for the delivery, Nancy!! Of course, DH looked at it and said, "Oh, it's a beginner level."  Good grief—the Advent Calendars are always beginner levels to pull people in. And we have NOT completed one Advent Calendar without looking at several of the clues. Sheesh!!!!

I have loads more to share, but I don't have time this morning. I have two presentations—both are mostly complete, but I have to walk the girls first. 

I'll leave you with this eye candy. Wally Dion is a Canadian artist who makes quilts with fabric and circuit boards. He also uses other mediums for other artworks. Some of these are beautiful, so be sure to check them out

On that note, I'm out of here. I hear it's supposed to rain today. OK -- that's a good thing as I need to stay inside! 


Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!!



 

1 comment:

  1. When I had shoulder replacement surgery, I could only sleep in a recliner chair for several months. Best to get off the strong meds asap. Keep on trucking, DH. It’s only been a week. Your body thinks it’s been in a massive car crash, but it will heal. A lot of internal healing has to happen. Elaine, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete