Friday, October 4, 2024

Where credit is due

The first day of the show is over! It started with the awards ceremony, which was nice, as we got to see all the winning quilts on the slide presentation.

Waiting for the awards presentation to start


What I love about Coutrepointe Quebec is that they try translating everything into English. Not that I need it—although there are a couple of times when I miss what is being said, and it's primarily casual conversations. If I were to live here for six months, I'm sure I would have my French back and even stronger than before. 

Hmm. Is there anyone here that I can live with for six months? Based on my dream - I might need that. So I had trouble getting to sleep last night, and when I finally did, I had a dream. I was being graded on a written assignment, and how it was graded was terrible. So much so that I stomped out of where I was staying and left with nothing! It wasn't home. How do our brains twist the many details of the day into a dream? 

Anyway, I'm not going anywhere! We had a great day at the show. There were lots of people, and we had to laugh when a bus of people came up from Vermont. It used to be the opposite when bus loads would go down to the Vermont Quilt Festival. All in all, it was a great day! 

Claire and I walked part of the show in the morning, and we are very much alike in what we like as far as artistry goes. The one thing we noticed is that the show labels do not allow room for the credits of the original pattern maker or designer. I think the show organizers expected people to put that information in the quilt's description, but I don't think we saw one credit in that description. 

As usual, if the information isn't requested, people don't provide it!

And here's an interesting thing we saw. On one quilt (that won a ribbon), the owner admitted to seeing a pattern on Pinterest and went to EQ8 and reproduced it. They did not say that it was an inspiration, so we don't know that it was an exact copy, and no mention of who designed the original quilt. One thing I hate about Pinterest is that so many pictures get posted, and there is NO CREDIT for any of them. Sometimes, they are reposted and then reposted, and the source is lost. 

I know many people who put a watermark on the photos they publish for that reason. I don't do that on the pictures on my blog, so I'm sure there are photos of mine out there with zero credit. 

Let's face it --- we've all done the "copy" the pattern thing, but I would at least admit where the source came from or say it was inspired by. And I don't think I would admit that in a show - well, I wouldn't put the quilt in the show. Or I'd just make an original. 

Be careful—you do not want to copy someone else's work without permission. It is intellectual property! I could go on and on, but I won't. I'll write more about that another day. 

We did not see the entire show, but we're going over early this morning to hopefully get through the rest of the quilts. I don't think we will, so we can check them out later today, as I'm sure the show will be quieter. You never know. 

I love that the show closes at 5 PM. It's much less exhausting, and we actually have time to do something in the evening. We had a very late lunch, so we were not too hungry for dinner right at the end of the show. 

I felt pretty good, so I went for a walk!! OH my!! I decided to check out a geocache or two for something to do. I found this one, which was minus a container. That will hold up poorly in the coming months with the snow. 




A geocache minus its container


Then I decided to walk down to the mall, Galeries de St. Hyacinthe, where I found a five-part Adventure Lab (part of geocaching). So I had to walk around the mall and answer questions in French. I only had to translate one small phrase as I didn't know what it meant—a compass!!! And then, I walked back to the hotel to meet the others for dinner. 


Look what I found!!! When I lived here in the 80s (I know—so long ago), this gym was THE gym to go to. I guess everyone else thought so as well since it's still here!!! Nautilus Plus!!!


Nautilus Plus



We ended up going to St. Hubert, which has changed a whole lot since I was last here. It reminds me of a Moxie's and is quite upscale compared to what I remember. But what the heck is this? We could hear some singing of the Happy Birthday song. OH MY!!! It's a robot zooming around the restaurant!!! 

A robot in the restaurant


We spotted this on the way to the women's washroom. I love signs like this!!!! 


The ladies' room sign

We made a quick stop at the grocery store (in the mall) for some fruit, and then we walked back to the hotel. Yesterday, I walked over 13 km. When has that happened? But I was feeling great, so why not walk? 

And then I couldn't get to sleep. I tried reading, I tried just relaxing, and nothing. So it was late when I got to sleep, and I might even still be sleeping except for the person in the room above me has a heavy foot, and I think they got up to go to the bathroom!!!

I'm feeling OK. Those day and night meds are great at masking anything. At least they work for me. And it's not so much that I'm sick as that my throat is so tired of talking! Thankfully, the talking is less here than when doing an all-day event. So, while I'm a bit tired today, my throat feels a bit scratchy, and that's it. 

I went back to chat with the ladies from the recycling place—I have more to tell you tomorrow, and I signed up for something pretty unique—more on that tomorrow!!!

Be sure to check out QUILTsocial this morning. There is some great stuff that I accomplished using the mySewnet Embroidery Software and the Husqvarna Viking DESIGNER EPIC 3. 


On that note - I'm out of here. 


Have a great day!!!

Ciao!!!


2 comments:

  1. A few years ago I asked if "this quilt" was a copyright infringement when posted by a blogger. It was received as an attack. I was informed that squares and HSTs are not owned by anyone. Interesting take. I don't think publishers have time for copyright infringement anymore when it comes to quilts. It used to be a hot button!!!!

    Happy working and happy Friday all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a quilt that was inspired by one of the BQ Maple Island patterns. I couldn’t purchase the pattern I wanted in Canada at the time and shipping from the US was unreal. So I bought 2 other Maple Island patterns, because I wanted to support the designer, and reproduced the one I wanted. In my quilt documentation I say which pattern it was inspired by. I have since found and bought the original pattern that inspired my.

    ReplyDelete