If you can't beat the system, try a different way. Seriously? This darn bone density pill and I have a love/hate relationship. To remember to take the darn thing, I left my pillbox on the counter yesterday to remind me all day that I needed to take it this morning. Then I put the pillbox on my phone so I would remember first thing this morning.
Then I had a bad night, couldn't get to sleep, and woke up several times. As a result, I slept in. Now you think that I would take the pill in the middle of the night, but you are not allowed to lie down for 30 minutes after taking it.
I got up at the time that I would typically make breakfast, so I just threw in the towel. I took the pill, and I'm waiting 30 minutes before I eat. But seriously? This pill is the bane of my existence, and if it ruined my sleep, then I certainly need to do something about it.
I need to make an appointment for a physical, and I am demanding that they wipe that prescription from my file. I hate the restrictions associated with it, and my brain is rebelling, and I don't need or want that! Another medication does the same thing without the time restrictions.
I don't care that I am going to throw some of it away to get the one I can take without any restrictions. At this point, the medication isn't doing me any good.
Phew -- I got that off my chest!
OK -- if you are in my Show and Tell, Forty Shades of Grey, or My Kinda Town class, you should have received an email yesterday from me. If you did not, and I just realized I forgot to do an email search, so I may have missed an email or two, then let me know, and I'll add you to the list. I'm preparing the information email that goes out to the groups, and I hope to get those out soon.
It took me two hours or perhaps a wee bit more, and I accomplished all the errands that needed to be done by car. Well, almost. I went to return a light from the lighting store and to check on ordering a lighted house sign that they were supposed to get back to me about. I walked up to the counter with my bill and the light, only to see the Return Policy staring at me, which I had not noticed before. Or maybe I did, but it didn't register. TEN days, and it was now 24 days since I purchased the lights.
I need authorization to return a light, so I sent an email and got a response that YES, I could return the light, so I have to go back on Monday to make that happen. The gentleman thanked me for my order—yes, you should! It wasn't cheap.
The other light from a different store was returned, no questions asked. But it's a big box store, so that was OK.
I stopped at Chapters to see if anything new was in. Oh my, the magazine section for knitting and crafts used to be crowded, but it's not so crowded any longer.
![]() |
| The magazines left in the craft section |
I am surprised that the Golden Media titles are still hanging in there. And I notice that the bookstore staff pepper the shelves with books - like the Sashiko book! And I found this on that shelf. Totally unrelated.
![]() |
| A puzzle book on the craft magazine shelf |
I swear, my brain loves puzzles. I decided I needed this book. OK -- so their strategy worked! It's filled with 50 logic puzzles that I LOVE doing. I've been doing those kinds of puzzles since I was a teenager, and well, if I wasn't a quilter, I'd probably have been doing puzzles for years.
![]() |
| Logic puzzles |
![]() |
| A paper book |
![]() |
| Ouch!! |
![]() |
| An empty spool rack |
From the corner of my eye, I spotted this fabric. It's a stretch velvet with sequins on it that shone as if it belonged to Dolly Parton on a stage with thousands of lights. It was brilliant. The picture doesn't do it justice.
![]() |
A bright sparkly fabric |
It came in different colors. I have no use for it, but boy was it brilliant.
I managed to find some bias tape, so I'll use that for my bag.
![]() |
| The double-fold bias tape |
And I found this Clover tool for making jelly roll rugs. I have seen a video of it, and it looks pretty cool. I still have batting strips, so I thought I would try it.
![]() |
| Clover Fabric Tube Maker |
I bought a pack of buttons and placed the three items on the counter. All of them were face up, with the scanning code on the back! The cashier even mentioned that she had to turn them over to scan them!!! I almost died! Well, she was right, but hey, these items were a lot lighter than a bag of dog food!
Then I was onto Staples, where I dropped off our shredding. I have a drawer in the office where all the personal papers go, and when the drawer is full (it's not a big drawer), then I bundle it up and off it goes. It's usually once a year? Maybe twice this year because I tackled the drawers in the filing cabinet. Yes - I could have a shredder at home, but I found that any shredder we had in the past didn't last long, and it was boring to sit there and shred stuff and then you had to find a home for it. I paid $6 to drop off four pounds of paper. The only negative thing is that you have to shove it through this narrow slot.
![]() |
| The narrow slot on the paper shredding container |
But seriously? I'm getting very good at it and have no issues. So the paper is gone, and that was my last errand. With access to this kind of service, I would NEVER consider having a shredder in the house.
Wait -- there was one more thing to get. When I returned the second light at the hardware store, I checked for the drill extensions, but I needed to go to the washroom, and I didn't want to make any "major" decisions as there were many options. So I walked to the hardware store near the house in the afternoon. And look what I found! A set of extended screwdriver heads with two extenders. This was exactly what I needed.
![]() |
| My drill extenders |
My drill is old - I didn't spot anything Black and Decker in either store, but the Dewalt ones work just fine.
And then I got to work on my table.
Soon, I had most of the leg assembly screwed to the table top. YES—there are cords involved because this table is electric! It is an adjustable height table, and because of the size I wanted and whatever, I couldn't get a crank version for that size. I tested the legs when it was like this, and they work!!! This way, I can sit and sew, or I can raise the table to do machine embroidery! I can't wait to try it out. I still have to tidy up the cords, but I'll do that later.
![]() |
| The leg assembly is almost done. |
Then the leg bases went on, and I waited for DH to get home. I was certain we wouldn't be able to right the table because it was so heavy; I could barely lift one end off the floor.
![]() |
| The entire leg assembly! |
But he used his engineering skills, and we flipped the table on its side and then righted it!!! With two people, it took very little effort.
![]() |
| My new table |
Oh my --- that is a sturdy table. It's supposed to support 450 lbs. I just need it to be stable when doing machine embroidery! I now have to move two machines so this table can slide into the back area of the worktable area. Then I can put one machine on it, and I've started to bring the components of the second table downstairs, and I hope to get it mostly done today. I need to do that while the assembly is still fresh in my mind!!!
But I think I'm going to love them. How will they ever get out of the basement if we move? That's another story!
I got a chucklet earlier in the day as I spotted a gold thread - a long one this time on my quilt top that I was going to work on during the virtual retreat. There's always a gold thread somewhere.
![]() |
| A long gold thread |
That new table surface came in very handy last night as I spread my Tequila Lime quilt out so I could remove the paper from the back. It turns out that I was working on the four corners and the four middle sections. At one point, I thought I was done, so I took the quilt into the backyard to shake all the wee bits off.
![]() |
| Removing paper from Tequila Lime |
![]() |
| My bin of paper |
![]() |
| What a mess to remove paper from a foundation pieced project |
![]() |
| The old turtle and the new |
I grabbed this picture from one of the Facebook puzzling groups. This is a small portion of this person's puzzle collection. Mine pales in comparison.
![]() |
| A small part of someone's puzzle collection |
And yes—we have a Virtual Retreat today, from 3 PM to 9 PM. Here's the link.
Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89869001291?pwd=h57kT9axwTnd2xtJvuO0z2UOmUo45w.1
Meeting ID: 898 6900 1291
Passcode: 136711
And it's going to be another great day!!!
Ciao!!!!





















Imagine yourself with a hip fracture at 70, 80, 90 and never ever sewing again! Will that motivate you to take that medication? I have a friend who won't take meds for severe osteoporosis. She won't even walk around the block without holding her hubby's arm because she is so afraid of a fall. Also moved out of her home with full basement studio (similar to yours) so that there are no more stairs in her life. SCARY STUFF!
ReplyDeleteWill there be an email for the Scrappy class prior to the first date from you or the shop ?
ReplyDeleteTake you meds. My Aunt just fell and broke her hip, there were complications when they went to do the replacement due to osteoporosis so they had to pin it and she is nonweight bearing for 5 or so weeks.
ReplyDelete