Wednesday, July 18, 2012

How NOT to quilt a quilt

Another day of quilting - two interesting quilts.

Quilt One - I was in Ruti's last week and one of the girls casually asked me if I had time to quilt a quilt. It is going to be donated to the Quilts of Valor. It was made out of the new Northcott O Canada fabric line - which is printed on Northcott's Stonehenge fabric. A quick consult in the head of the projects and the time line - YES that is possible, BUT I must have everything by Monday NIGHT. A bit of a scramble since the top wasn't even done and the backing was being donated and wasn't even in the same city!!!!!

Ah - the wonders of having something done for free!!!   The top got put together (very nicely I might add), the backing made its way to Mississauga and was pieced. Everything was perfect and it was dropped off at my house around 4 PM on Monday. I was going to load it, but got busy trying to finish my book so I left the quilt. Loaded it on Tuesday AM and at 9 AM - got to work and finished it by Noon. It was picked up at 2 PM. Wasn't even in my house TWENTY FOUR hours. That NEVER happens.

OK - so you want to see the quilt?????

Quilt for the Quilts of Valor
 I am not even sure what the entire story behind the quilt is, but apparently it is going to be displayed (along with a lot of others) at Black Creek Pioneer Village at the end of the month. Check the link to get all the details. There are GREAT vendors going to be there and LOTS and LOTS of quilts. Should be an amazing show.


Quilt Show
Here is a close up of the quilting. Susannah also "casually" commented - wouldn't it be nice to have maple leafs in the quilt design. SHEESH - she doesn't ask for much!!!!!   Happens that I have a pattern with maple leafs in it and so she got her maple leaves. Since you can see it well from the front as it is a very busy quilt - 

I put RED thread on the cream backing and NOW you can see those maple leaves!!!!!


Notice the raw edges around the edges of the quilt - the loose batting. AH - that is the perfect way to quilt a quilt. If only ALL quilts that came to me were this perfectly pieced and sized.


Now the second quilt I worked on was MINE. I know - who knew that I actually quilted MY OWN quilts. Well you remember the school house quilt - the red/white one. I decided that that flappy border HAD to be quilted. And today was the day to tackle it. I was very LEERY of quilting it on the long arm. Do you know why?????   Because SOMEONE had the brilliant idea to bind the thing WITHOUT quilting that last border. Well you know the story - the auction and all.

So I sucked it up and SAT DOWN to quilt a quilt on my Mega Quilter. At first - she did NOT like me. I had to get the oil out, clean her up a bit and then she was fine. Although I do find this VERY different from the long arm - I actually ENJOYED myself today.

The Mega Quilter being put to work. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE that table. I wish I could find a good configuration for it in the room to sew all the time. I know that is so stupid - I have a HUGE room and I can't figure out how to position ONE table!!!!   But I like to face the entrance to the room which is the stairs  (the power position in any room) and for some reason with all the other tables and the stupid drawer (extra table space which is a blessing for quilting) doesn't fit in.  OK - note to self - FIGURE IT OUT. 


Now here is what NOT to do. See that binding and how close I had to quilt. It was HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. That binding is so thick and I do not have a lot of clearance with this machine so some of the feather tops are slightly flat!!!!


Stitching VERY close to the binding

Bottom line - it is DONE DONE DONE - DING DING DING!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Red/white schoolhouse quilt - DONE

Close up of the quilting in the border


I just LOVE LOVE LOVE what I did. Yes there are a few teeny tiny tucks in there and some of those feather tops are flattish, but it is DONE and once it is washed - NO ONE will be able to see what happened to the quilt. Now to finish stitching down the sleeve - oh yes - the sleeve is already sewn into the binding so had to avoid that with the quilting. I told you - this is how NOT to quilt a quilt. And then make the label and get that sewn on.

Hey - don't worry - I still have a couple more exactly like this one. Yep - the binding is one and the quilt is "quilted", but the next one actually has the border quilted, so that will make it a LOT easier to quilt.


Yeah - one more quilt that is DONE DONE DONE. Can you tell I am excited??????   This may open the floodgates to get more of my stuff quilted - could that be true?????

So yes - today was complete opposite - the first quilt - not in the house 24 hours - the second one - TWELVE years as a UFO. Too funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Then very quietly I got ready for vacation and now when you read this - well when it gets posted, my plane will hopefully be taking off. You will just have to stay tuned to see where I am going and what excitement I have planned.

Vacations are a strange thing - you run around like an idiot trying to get everything done - even things that do not necessarily need to be done BEFORE you leave, but you get on a roll!!!!!   I am happy to report that I have done very well this year. With the exception of a couple of last minute things - I was pretty much ready.

I managed to set aside things as I remember to take them - clothes are always the last and just get thrown into the bag if there is room!!!!   But where or where is my little cutter from Clover??????

The only thing I sacrificed today was yoga. But I really really really wanted to get that quilt done. I'll just have to do some stretching on my own. My body does NOT like sitting at that machine for hours and it took a LONG time to do that border.

I shall post as I have a chance.   And if you want to stay in touch or get in touch with me - just write a comment on the blog. Those get to me - e-mails do not. According to the settings ANYONE should be able to post a comment, not just followers. You may have to type in one of those silly word verifications.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Have a great time, wherever you are headed.

    <3 Margo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you biking or quilt shopping! Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rehab has already been completed turnkey rental, including new paint, flooring, kitchen cabinets, updated bathroom, and more rental properties

    ReplyDelete
  4. The use of colour, pattern and style is the smartest part of the Art.

    ReplyDelete