Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The weather..................


After I did my usual morning routine - drive M to school so I can also get my Tim's (I know - that is so SAD!!!!) and as I was writing the last of the blog, I decided that the weather was TOO NICE to pass up. The temperature was SIXTEEN degrees above zero. I mean - this is December. How many days like that will we have in the rest of the year. I decided to pack up the girls and away we went for an adventure. I know - who knew I was so spontaneous. I mean - I had work to do, but what the heck - you only live once.

The girls were excited and this time I took a backpack which made things easier - somewhat easier. Wait for the story on that one.

While I love to hike in this particular area, parking is a PAIN. There is NO STOPPING on the road sides, and the only place really to park is at the golf course. I went in, but there wasn't a soul around. They offer parking for a price, but there was NO ONE to pay. So I parked near the gate of the golf course and hoped for the best.  (Oh yes - the car was still where I parked when I arrived back!!)

Car parked at the golf course. Although you can't see it, but there is a  road between the car and  where I am standing. The road is down in a gully. 


Now Sammy has a potty issue. No matter where we go, that dog has to take a poop shortly after we are out of the car. I got myself organized, I got the dogs organized, I got my backpack organized. We start on our adventure. Sammy has barely gone 20 feet and yes - she is taking a poop. Off comes the backpack to get a bag which I walked back to the car since we were very close.

We then crossed the road and once on the other side, I put their leashes in the backpack. So off comes the backpack. We had barely gone 50 feet when it is Sparky's turn. Off comes the backpack again because she pooped right in the middle of the path. I left that bag to pick up on our way back.

It is hard to know what to wear when out hiking and within a few minutes, I had to take my scarf off - off with the backpack one more time.  But I think that was it for a while. We finally got things organized and I didn't have to take the backpack off for a while.

Now to find a spot for the self portrait. Ah - here is a tree that will be perfect.


Me with the girls - Sammy and Sparky


This path is part of the Bruce Trail and the more I hike it, the more I read up on it, the more I want to hike it from end to end. It is 840 KM with about 440 KM of side trails. And it is free, although I am going to become a member to help with the cost of maintaining the trail.

Here are some of the pictures that I took yesterday................


The white blazes on the trail. We didn't get "lost" once. Although at one point, it was difficult to tell where the trail went, but we soon picked it up again!

A pregnant tree!

Marks on the rocks (these are glacial rocks so the holes have been there for a few years!!!)

A foot bridge over a MAN MADE entrance into a quarry (more on that in a bit)

The girls weren't afraid of the bridge. Sparky was very intrigued at the trucks - there was a LOT of happenings at the quarry. 

Sammy - enjoying the view


It is hard to describe where we hiked unless you are from this area. But there is the escarpment. A HUGE formation of rock from the days when the area was covered with glaciers. My geology isn't that great so don't take my word for all of this. Anyway - we hiked ON top of the escarpment. A big shear cliff for the most part. With great views whenever there was a peak in the trees.


Looking out over one of several golf courses in the area

The trees are growing right on the edge of the rocks!!!

Sammy in action jumping over a log

More weird trees

This tree was literally hanging on for dear life - the tree itself is hanging over the edge of the rock - just held on by the roots!!!!   In some places you can see where part of the rocks have broken away from the main cliff. 

Cutie Sammy!!!

Bright eyed Sparky

Here is a MAIN crack in the escarpment. It is quite deep - you could walk down there as well, but we didn't go. 

This road is the road leading to the quarry


There was a small area which over looked into the quarry with a History of the Quarry

You would NOT believe the traffic in and out of this place. The trucks were coming in and out  like a revolving door. INCREDIBLE. Sad to think that they are eating up these beautiful rocks, but apparently this rock is EXCELLENT in making super strong concrete and with all the construction around here - well guess what wins!

And if ever you look up at the escarpment from the road and wonder what that big boxy things is - this is it!!!!!   This is taken from the observation outcrop

These views are taken from the road below - this is the foot bridge in the gap

Moving slightly forward, you can see the BIG thing which is in the picture up above.


Now it WAS a gorgeous day when we started and by all accounts it still was a gorgeous day when we stopped, but have a look at what happened................




Yes - that are two WET dogs in the car. 
 You see - we got about one hour away from the car and it started to spit. It never was clear so we knew we were taking a chance. Then it started to rain a bit more heavily. Finally I decided to turn back, but we were still one hour from the car!!!!!!!!!!!!   We were protected somewhat by the trees and it didn't rain steady - thank goodness. But it is ONLY RAIN!!!!

Needless to say we were a bit wet when we got back. Now it was WARM so it wasn't a big deal, but NOTE TO SELF - when hiking, one must bring a light weight rain jacket!!!!  But it was so beautiful, I didn't really care. While it would have been fun to have company, planning sometimes takes away from the sheer fun of the walk. Besides the girls and I could be as silly as we wanted, we went as fast as we wanted and no one to bother us!!!!!

I am not sure how far we walked. My guess is about 9 KM in total in about 2 hours. Which isn't bad consideriing that we had to be careful. The rocks were wet when we started and EVEN wetter on the way back. No slips, no falls and we all had fun. I must remember to take my bike GPS next time because it will allow me to get the data.



Here are the girls resting in their beds in the back of the car!!!!

Little nervous nellie!!!   Has to be upfront until she got tired!!!!

The moss was GORGEOUS - this picture does NOT do justice to it. 

Sign about the foot bridge


There you have it - my day. I had to take M down town for an appointment at 3 PM. And when we finally got home, I was too restless to do anything. That is so bizarre.

I did manage to get a quilt loaded on the machine and got most of Easy Street cut so I will show you that tomorrow. Today - I am off to the quilting machine. FOR REAL this time.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment