Thursday, December 13, 2012

How to say NO


The other day a situation arose and I said NO. I didn't just say NO, it was a very EMPHATIC NO

Someone asked me if the group would be interested in a round robin project. You see why I said NO. And you know what? - It felt GOOD.

You know how we try to TELL our teens what they should be doing, or not doing because we (as parents) have tried that and it didn't work? You know - you've done that. Well - that is how it is for me with my quilting. I have BIG INTENTIONS - HUGE in fact. But over the last couple of years, I have learned some lessons. I shall share them with you. I do not expect you to take heed of them because I think you will have to learn on your own.

One of the biggest eye openers was to make my 2012 shelf. I put things on that shelf that I "hoped" (I really hoped to get them done in 2012), however that shelf is just as full now as it was this time last year. Yes a few things got removed so yes there are a few spots open, but not many. And yes a project or two got put on that shelf, but not many.


The 2012 shelf (which by all accounts should be nearly empty!!!!)


And this shelf is just a small portion of what is hidden behind closed doors. Oh, I did pull a project or two from behind the doors to work on. But now that I have gone through this exercise once, I think I know what to load on that shelf for 2012. It is a learning process.

I am going to add my BBB projects - yes - there are still buckets of tops waiting to have the borders, bindings and backings made (plus any that I work on during the year).

Tops waiting for borders, backings and bindings

More tops waiting (OK - the white basket is quilts that require a bit more quilting - that is another year)


I am NOT doing any exchanges or block of the months in 2013. Now I may have a few left over from this year and the goal is to get those done in January.

I have a better idea of what type of projects to work on for 2013. All the $10 quilts are going on the shelf (there are a few of those) and I am pulling all the quilts that are in block form and the blocks just need to be sewn together. There are a few projects for other people that HAVE to be done this year. There are going to be a few mindless sewing projects - these are already cut and will be perfect for retreats or sewing days. The last thing is the triangles for the enders and leaders projects.

I also have a number of projects that require less than TWO hours of work to finish. I know - TWO hours - what is the matter with me??????   There are a LOT of those (I think). They are going on the shelf for this year. I can really make that "finished project" list HUGE this year if I get those done!!!!!

As you can see - I've been doing a LOT of thinking - once the Christmas rush is over, I will start digging out all this stuff and rearranging the shelf. I can hardly wait - I have a feeling that it will NOT all fit on the shelf. No worries - I have a small shelf that I can commandeer as well. It is going to be exciting.

I will continue my "accomplished list" that I did this year. It was also an eye opener.

I will NOT be drawn into new projects. OK - maybe one or two. But there are countless projects on the internet. And I would love to make them all, but you know what????   I can't. So I am not even going to be tempted - I am not going to look at them. I am not going to print them, and I will try to NOT buy new patterns. What is the point????   I already have so much that I want to make - why am I going to make the problem worse??????


So here are the lessons..................


1. Keep an "accomplished" list (it will make you feel good every time you think you are getting nothing done). Hey - do that for the books you have read as well. You would be surprised!!!!!   The accomplished list allows you to see what you did this past year and then you can ask yourself - is that really where I want to focus my limited time and resources?????

2. DO NOT acquire anything more that you do not need. If you don't have a home for it in your studio then you do NOT need it. Unless you absolutely can't live without it. But what you absolutely can't live without - there will be something even better in a month - heck even tomorrow!!!!  I am trying VERY HARD to buy only what is necessary to complete a project.

3. Be realistic about what you can accomplish. While we all think we are super women or men - what can you really get done? Pick those projects that are the most important and FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS. PUT THE REST OF THE PROJECTS away so they do not become a distraction and make you feel guilty. You know they are behind closed doors, but you do not see them everyday.

4. Keep the studio clean (the ironing board, the cutting mat, the sewing table). You will be able to accomplish so much more when you are NOT  fighting yourself for space. Although at any given time, I might have stuff on those surfaces, it is usually a project that I am currently working on. And if someone wants to come over, it would take me 1/2 hour at most to have the entire place clear for people to sew. But next year - all the stuff will be on the shelf so there will be even less tidying to do!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. If there is something that you absolutely DO NOT want - then bundle it up and find a new home for it. Give it away, find someone working on charity quilts or sell it. But GET RID OF IT. Getting rid of the clutter is a HUGE HUGE HUGE way to get yourself focused.




And there you have it. Not perfect, but works for me. The issue now is to find what works for YOU. Since I am a big list maker - this set up works for me.

I have THREE books that I keep for lists. The one on the left is my notebook - I take notes, make TO DO lists. And yes I could do that on the computer, but the TACTILE feel of this book with its crinkly pages (after writing on them) is AWESOME. No computer will be able to replicate that!!!!!!!   The blue book is my homework book for ongoing classes and the Sunflower book is my Accomplished book. 


Yes it is sad!!!!!!!!!!!   I've become a LIST maker and I LOVE it. The other sad thing is that our library is getting a NEW computer system and it is supposed to go live TODAY. So for the last couple of days we were not able to check our accounts, nor place holds. ACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    I love keeping my account under check!!!!!   Can't wait to see the new system - it isn't up yet. I know that is SAD when your big excitement of the day is a new computer system UNLESS the library is important to you - then this is a BIG DEAL.


And I was good yesterday - the old me would have said - I can't get this entire quilt done in one day. I am tired, I need a break. Well the new me - kept working until the quilt was DONE.


Customer quilt - DONE 

And in case you think - OK - that is on the long arm - that is easy - what is she complaining about.  I started with the border along the long side. Dark thread. Advance the quilt -  then change to the lighter thread - put on the base to use the rulers for the stitch in the ditch. Then take the base off to do the free motion, then advance the quilt - change the thread colour, add the base and do the dark stitch in the ditch. Well - you get the picture!!!!!!!   Part of the challenge with quilting on the long arm is finding the most efficient order to do the stitching!!!!!!!!


See - I can't do those center blocks all at once - I have to split it up. 

Bottom line - I got the quilt done. One down and THREE more to go before the weekend and THREE tinner blocks to do. I know - why didn't I schedule that a bit differently?????   I had lots of time last week. That is one area I want to try and get better - budgeting my time or time management.

Oh and last night - I made a list of those quilts I am going to put into the Mississauga Quilt Show (April 2013) and the Brampton Quilt Show (May 2013). I came up with ten quilts - five for each. Now those also go on the focus list. There is one more show  Halton Hills in October 2013 - but I have LOADS of time to get something ready for those!!!!!!!!!!

And I cut out another quilt last night (I know - I had to - it is a surprise for Christmas for someone).

Well on that note - I already have the next quilt loaded on the machine and it is time to get to work.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment