Tuesday, May 26, 2020

And the marathon continues....................


Here's the problem with freelance work. You have a lot of bosses, and you want to keep them all happy, but which ones get priority? Well, the job with the most pressing deadline is the one on top. It's when several of them start conflicting that the issue arises, and of course, you still want to do some stuff for yourself! I"m in a wee bit of that situation at the moment. Focus - get one out of the way and then work on the other! Thankfully, I don't get stressed and am good at juggling this kind of thing. If I hand NOT let a few things slide, I would NOT be in this position. No one to blame but me. Darn!!!!😉😉😉

I spent a good part of the day on Zoom! It's a learning experience, and hopefully, with all this learning that I can get back to earning some money in the education department. So it's worth the time. It involved a whole lot of changes to Studio B. This is the current situation.


Studio B


I set up a small filming studio in one corner. Moved two sewing machines into the corner, hung up some quilts for the backdrop, and a table in front to hold stuff. It's not ideal, but it'll have to do for the moment. The only thing I still have to figure out is the lighting. The overhead fluorescent lights are not working. I texted a photographer friend of mine, and now I'm searching for a set of lights. Thankfully they are not expensive, but the question will be trying to get some.

Here's a close up of what the setup looks like. I wasn't sure that the internet was going to work down there, but it seems to be just fine. I'm also trying different microphone options. So far, I haven't been successful, so I need to keep working on that. I'll find a solution - I know I will. For the moment, the microphone on the laptop will have to do.

My video studio!
I don't know what we would do without Zoom. My photography buddy said he was connecting to his photography group, who live in the US, via Zoom once a week. We had an extensive learning session yesterday for my SVP education job. And our Monday sewing group got together for an hour yesterday to check in on everyone. Families are keeping in touch and well - I'm sure there are church groups, office employees, and so many more that are staying connected via Zoom.

What is surprising to me is the bandwidth. We had two different Zoom meetings going on from our house at the same time, and there was no issue with bandwidth. And how many others were on in our neighborhood? I'm amazed by that. But happy at the same time. Gosh - it makes me think back to the "old days" when I had to use dial-up to access my on-line quilt chat group (Yahoo). That was only 20 years ago! What will the next twenty years bring? Teleporting? Can you imagine? 

I will say that I've learned one thing from this crisis. I'll NEVER go to a real meeting again. Wait a minute - that's pretty harsh. I will never travel to a meeting if I can get away with having the meeting on Zoom. I'll host the meeting - I'm good with that, but some of the travel involved to do something that wasn't 100% necessary? Nope - not doing it. Save on times, saves on gas, saves on stress. 

Not only have the work tables in Studio B been tossed around, but the chairs are all over the place. It looks like a tornado went through there. BUT I was lucky that it took almost no effort to rejig the tables. In the course of the last couple of crazy days, the stuff has been piling up on the cutting table. 


The cutting table is full of stuff


So last night when I had the Designer EPIC 2 doing some embroidery (for a project that I have to finish today!), I decided it was time to tidy up a wee bit. I cleared off the cutting mat. And then I took the stuff that had accumulated over the course of the day around the video area, and put that on the cutting table. I have more embroidery later today and I might get some more putting stuff away done. Studio U? We won't even go there. I may end up hosting the Virtual Retreat from downstairs!

I want to thank Paula for the porch drop off of baked goodies. I'm not sure what these are called - but they are yummy. I had one for lunch which was squeezed in between two Zoom meetings. It's filled with cheese and it was filling! I was good for the entire afternoon after eating that. There was no need for snacking!

Yummy lunch from Paula

She also brought over some dessert which we polished off at dinner last night. Oh yum. And now I know why I don't bake. While excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed every morsel, we don't eat like that at our house!

One member of the Monday sewing group had a crown pop out as well and she got hers fixed yesterday! I did receive a text from my dentist yesterday canceling my June 9th appointment. I'm calling their emergency number today. This has gone on long enough. However, this is NOT the week to get it fixed, but hopefully, I can get in early next week. The vaseline held for a couple of days, but it's not working and I'm afraid of losing the crown.

OH MY GOSH  - I have to share these next pictures. I know - the Virtual Challenge can hardly be exciting for you, but it is for me!!  On my walk across Canada, I'm in my home town!!!! This is the picture just before hitting the Battlefords on Highway 16. I know that sign on the right and I do believe there was a Geocache at that spot!


Approaching the Battelfords on Highway 16


And this is the shot from TODAY. I'm on Railway Avenue in North Battleford. I think the picture is mirrored as going in this direction, the railroad should be on the right. Not to worry - it's just fun to see the picture.


On Railway Avenue in North Battleford

OK -- even knowing that the picture was mirrored was bugging me. So I fixed it. Now it's much better.




I have a feeling that the Virtual Challenge takes you to the City Hall of each city. Otherwise, why would I do this crazy loop into town???


My position on the Google map

And just like that, I'll be out of town tomorrow. I haven't been getting quite the mileage that I want every day, but I'm lucky to get what I am. Next week will be better and I'll make up the distance then.

It's just a fun thing to do and I'm having a great time watching the miles go by. It's also been an amazing incentive to get out and keep exercising. I'll warn you right now - NEVER complain to me about being cooped up in your house! During the pandemic, we've NEVER been confined to our houses. The sidewalks are out there, we're allowed outside, and walking is absolutely FREE. I've been out in the heat, the rain, and the cold. You just dress for it. Except that I'm not walking in the afternoon these days because the humidex is something like 38? Where did that come from? But my basement is like a refrigerator and we haven't turned the AC on. No need for it. I'm still sitting here in my sweatshirt and it's cool outside this morning. It's all a mindset.

I'm using the paid version of Grammarly to learn more about grammar. I don't get a chance to correct all of the issues, but I'm learning about commas. Personally, I think it's comma heavy, (I should look up the rulers for commas), and it hates my PASSIVE voice. I'm learning how to change that but it's NOT EASY to rewrite a sentence without using PASSIVE. To be honest, I didn't really understand what it was. Now I'm learning.

Progress is being made in the deadline department. Not fast enough - today, I have NO distractions so I hope to make some good progress getting some of them cleared up. Unfortunately, I may have some stuff to tidy up during the Virtual Retreat tomorrow. No worries - the meeting can go on without me sitting in front of the camera 100% of the time. I can always join the meeting on my cell phone if I have to move around. And I have to interrupt the Thursday session for a one-hour meeting with my work people. Can't be helped.

Here's the link to the May 27th Virtual Challenge. Remember it starts at 9 AM and runs until 9 PM. Join for a chat, join in to sew. It's going to be a lot of fun to see who gets connected!!!

Join Zoom Meeting - May 27th 9 AM - 9 PM.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85170383658?pwd=VWp5YUtTckRxY1U0VTdOZFdIMkRvdz09 Meeting ID: 851 7038 3658 Password: 431940



For those of you who are one day behind, here's the link to the Thursday meeting. Note there are TWO different meetings because I need to zip out for a work-related meeting from 1:30 - 3:30 on Thursday.


Join Zoom Meeting - Thursday, May 28th from 9 AM - 1:30 PM
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89125426288?pwd=TzRkMlhBQXhoT3pjQlBEMW5UV2o2dz09 Meeting ID: 891 2542 6288 Password: 734096

Join Zoom Meeting - Thursday, May 28th from 3:30 PM - 9 PM
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85187367927?pwd=bUkwYldJYkE5OE1IUUh5MkU4Y0daUT09 Meeting ID: 851 8736 7927 Password: 008919


I almost forgot that it's another day of QUILTsocial blog posts about remote learning. Check it out.


And on that note, it's time to get to work!

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!!










4 comments:

  1. Elaine, my hubster uses a wireless headset w/microphone.

    https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Bluetooth-Wireless-Headset-Smartphones/dp/B005GTNZUM

    He's working from home through this pandemic and it is working great. He doesn't hear me moving around the house doing things at all and very little interference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK -- I have a question for your hubster. Can he hear himself talk with those on? I have a similiar pair, but they are over the ear completely and I can't hear myself talk. I can, but it's muffled. I don't know if I have to switch something up to make voice come through the headphones.

      Delete
    2. Yes, they are not noise cancelling headphones. The mic does a good job not picking up background noise but there is some on occasion. Could your current headphones be noise-cancelling? He doesn't believe there is a "switch" of sorts.

      Delete
    3. Yes mine are noise cancelling and I don't think I can get the sound to come through. I need to read the manual!!! I had bought the headphones for audiobooks, not for videos! But you are supposed to make phone calls on them and I can't imagine not being able to hear yourself. READ THE MANUAL!!!

      Delete