Thursday, May 7, 2020

Just when you thought you were done


Thanks to everyone who joined in the Zoom presentation last night all about sewing machine needles. Can you believe that besides lots of people from Canada, there was someone from Mexico and another person from Australia? That just shows you the reach of the internet. I love it!

I spent a good part of the day running around taking pictures. Editing them and putting together a slide presentation. I had long ago realized that a slide presentation is the only way to go for these kinds of presentations. You cannot hold items up to the camera and expect people to see what it is you're showing.

Let's just say that needles are HARD to photograph because they are little. But I think the presentation went off pretty well. A couple of small glitches, like when I was able to share my screen with everyone, but when it came to sharing the screen on my phone, my mind blanked on how to do that. Oh well!!!  Going to try a microphone next time - just to see if there is any improvement. Slow down...... so just a couple of small things to fix.

I would like to try broadcasting from the basement - just because the light is much better there. That's all up for an experiment this weekend.

The hardest thing? You are talking to a screen. A totally inanimate object. There is NO feedback and no one to look at. I have to do a bit of practicing at looking at the camera while using the presentation as my prompt. Just like the newscasters who read from the teleprompter!!! 

The other thing - I briefly thought about snatching a few photos from other websites, then I realized - I don't want to get dinged for copyright. So I used some of those sites for research, but all the content was mine. That's how I learn anyway - so it was all good.

Again - thanks to everyone. I have a couple of links to post today.

Here's the picture of the small needle case that I made to put my partially used needles.


Needle case for partially used needles

If you want to make your own, here's the link. It was a tutorial I wrote on QUILTsocial.

Here are the websites for good resource information on sewing machine needles.

Schmetz Needles
Klasse Needles
Organ Needles
Review of sewing machine needles


The best site is Schmetz Needles. Loads of information about types of needles and lots of technical stuff if you're into that.

There's also an app that you can download for your Smartphone or tablet from Schemtz with a lot of the same information. It's a handy resource to have when you're trying to figure out which needle to use. Just go to the Play Store or Apple store and download it - Schmetz Needle App.

Oh yes - the other thing that I hadn't addressed was what needle to use for stitching down fusible applique. Personally, I don't seem to have a lot of trouble with my needle getting gummed up, but should you have that problem, you can now get these new needles. They were hanging on my design wall last night and I didn't want to rush downstairs to get them.


Super Nonstick Needles



They are called Super Nonstick needles or on the package, they are called SUPER UNIVERSAL.

You would have thought I would have included them since I've been stitching fusible applique. Like I said, I'm not having any gumming so it never occurred to me to include them.

The presentation was a lot of fun! I have several other topics that people suggested and I might just look at putting another one together. However, I received some fabric yesterday that I've been waiting for. The quilt needs to be in the US by June 4th. That has become a priority for me. And I have to get my mini quilt for Quilt Canada (which has been canceled) in the mail by June 1st. I'm still finalizing the design.


With all the walking, presentation making, and porch visiting, I didn't really get much else done in the day, however, I got a bit more done this morning.

Working between the two studios is definitely a lesson and prepping me for the sewing retreat. I had thrown some supplies into the laundry basket but didn't really make sure that all the supplies were there. I had brought up some stabilizer and black thread to finish the Halloween wall hanging, but I forgot the GREEN thread for the eyes.

But here's the wall hanging. There are THREE stars (ONE small and TWO big) left to stitch. Oh - and the moon. Then I get to rip the stabilizer off the back, make the binding and the backing and it's done! I have to say that it's exciting to work on a small project that won't take long to finish up. One more done (almost) from that laundry basket.



The Halloween wall hanging


I must say that I was lazy. I set the satin stitch to a width of 2 and decided that I wasn't going to change it (decrease) to go around the points of those SMALL stars. I think they turned out very nicely.

Star with satin stitch
Was it me and my skill? Partially, but the biggest help is the Sensor Foot Lift and Sensor Foot Pivot functions on the Husqvarna Viking Opal 690Q. The Sensor System raises the presser foot just slightly when you stop (with the needle down). You can pivot a millimeter, then take a half stitch with a tap of the foot control. When you get the hang of this system, it's so fast and so easy!! So yes - lots of skill on my part, but with a wee bit of assistance!

I know some people go on about their knee lifts, but that involves some thought. With the Exclusive Sensor System, there is NO THOUGHT required. The machine does all the thinking for you -  automatically - EVERY time. This is a feature I fell in love with over 20 years ago and I would HATE to sew on a machine that doesn't have it. It's brilliant and such a time saver. There's NO PRESSER FOOT lever on the Opal 690Q. It's all automatic or you use a push-button on the front of the machine.

It's almost too easy!!!  So those points came out super perfect with little effort on my part.

The second bat got done as well.


The second bat got done


With this top, there were two pieces of fabric. One was larger and it was slated for the backing. Oh - this checked fabric must be the binding. I opened it up. OH NO - It's another piece that needs to be satin stitched. You're kidding me??

Another top to satin stitch!

I must remember to get a white thread for the eyes. I'm not worried. It won't really take long to do the satin stitching. I was hoping to finish off the cat wall hanging and then change the machine back for piecing. I think I might have to set these applique projects aside as I get to work on the quilts that are urgent. It's not so much that the quilts are urgent, but the Vintage Christmas homework is due tomorrow. Now there is a second sewing machine in Studio U (and one set up in Studio B) that I could use to piece. I'll see how it goes today! It's not like it's a huge deal to change the foot and the stitch plate for piecing. Gosh - I'm a princess!

Next time, I throw projects into the laundry basket, I should check to see that I have everything I need to get them completed. No worries - it just means more steps as I run downstairs to get the supplies. And my Fitbit LOVES steps. When you need SEVEN miles every day, you aim for steps anywhere.

The audiobook I'm listening to? It's disturbing. It's called The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler. It's a physiological thriller, but very graphic and very gruesome. And very disturbing. I have three days left to finish it so I'll be hanging around with my headphones on all day.


Wow -- another whirlwind day planned. Thank goodness it's cool outside.

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment