Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Winter Wonderland show and tell

OK --- What a whirlwind day! I spent most of it on Zoom. It started off with a lecture on making quilted jackets, and if you get a chance to listen to Heather from Stitch by Stitch (Kingston) present her lecture, you should sign up for it. I booked a private session with some friends, which was well worth the price. It was two hours long, and I took a ton of notes, which I never do, and I was so excited that I wanted to start right then and there. 

Alas, I had meetings all afternoon, so I got nothing much done all day. Turns out, I'll be going to Quilt Canada to work! So that changes my plans a wee bit, and I'll need to deal with that aftermath next week. 

When I finished all that, it was almost 5 PM, and I still hadn't taken my walk. It was also raining, and I needed to get to the bank and the grocery store. Both places are on opposite sides of the house. I almost caved and took the car, but I thought, why would I take the car? So I walked. And it wasn't that big of a deal. I had an umbrella, and I was fine. 

When I got back to the house and unpacked the groceries, I had dinner, and I've been on the computer ever since. I want to leave early on Wednesday morning, so the blog gets written tonight. What dedication!


However, I seem to work best under pressure. I prepared many invoices, booked several events for quilt guilds, straightened out some financial issues, updated the May to-do list, and finished the last two homework assignments, and it's only 9:16 PM. WOW!!! But I'm flagging -- I'm tired. 


I thought I'd share the show and tell from our Winter Wonderland quilt class from the weekend. It's such an adorable quilt. 

There are nine animals in the entire quilt, and now six of them have been assigned. 

Some people are using kits from The Hobby Horse, and others do their own thing. I think you'll see who the rebels are!



This is Joyce's porcupine and fox blocks from last month. 

Joyce


Her moose is done, but missing the maple leaves that fit in the spot where the pattern is sitting. 

Joyce

Karen has her moose together. Did you realize that this block is 24" square! It's rather large. 


Karen



Margaret changed up the color of the leaves. 


Margaret

This is Margot's block with three red maple leaves. 


Margot

Maria is changing up the colors of the animals, and it's going to be adorable when it's done. 




Maria


No, Shelly did NOT switch the block around. We suspect there was a mirror image function on her camera that got activated, but it threw me for a loop when I first saw it! And yes -- part of his head is upside down. 


Shelly


Here's her furry fox. 


Shelly


And the porcupine. 




Shelly


And this is Val's moose. No, this is not the football-playing moose. Part of his head got reversed, but it sure looks like he's wearing a football helmet. 


Val


What amazes me about all these blocks is how a few diagonal seams, or a small cut here and a trim there, can make these animals look pretty darn realistic. 


Here is my quilt with the subsequent blocks for this month already done. That leaves THREE more to do. 


The blocks in my quilt



In addition to piecing the blocks, I gave them the assignment to come up with a name for each animal. I think I have mine mostly chosen, but I can't wait to see what they come up with! 

This pattern is from Art East Quilting Co., and he has some pretty amazing pieced quilts. I'm thinking of doing this one in the fall. It's from the same company and called Kidding Around. Super adorable!!! I'll let you have the details once I get them straightened out. 


Kidding Around pattern


Before I got, I wanted to mention that the art show where Helen's pieces got accepted starts tomorrow. If you are interested, you can check out all the details on her blog. While the show opens tomorrow, I believe there is a reception on May 14th. Check it out, and make sure you have it on your calendar if you are into fine art and photography. I can't wait. 


On that note, I'm out of here. I'm trying to debate how to shorten my morning routine so I can get on the road by 7:30. So yes, by the time you read this, I'll be gone!


Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment