Thanks, everyone, for your comments. The page I read them on doesn't let me reply, and I never seem to get to the page where I can. They should change that!!!! It would be so much easier.
As for the mini-iron -- all is forgiven. My boss talked to the big boss, and she said I did a great job! So it wasn't an issue, it wasn't like she was chastising me, she just made mention of it. And I'm glad, because it makes me even more aware. I am 1000% aware when I do the other two brands (Husqvarna Viking and PFAFF), but this was the first time doing a Singer event, and that branded iron just wasn't on my radar!!! All is good!
As for the three-tiered tray—I somewhat agree with Tammy. The trays are too small to be useful for ME, since the project boxes will not fit on them, so everything has to come out. That would drive me mad, so Tammy, we are on the lookout for something else!!!
But as I was going through security at the Toronto airport yesterday, I spotted one of those carts inside security with swabs and whatever the security team needs. I was so TEMPTED to touch it to see how stable it was. However, I thought it was best not to. But I was tempted!!!!
The one thing I did purchase a while back was a rolling wire cart, but an industrial one that was used in a warehouse. I bought it when I bought some heavy-duty used wire shelving. That cart was supposed to be the spot for ongoing projects, but sadly it got filled with supplies. So do I buy another one? I think so, and I'm going to keep looking for one.
I'm thinking something like this would be better. I would LOVE to have more shelves, but if the MOST CURRENT projects are in boxes or bins, this would be perfect and would eliminate one table, which would be great. If I need to move things around, then I could quickly and easily move the cart. I'm sure I can buy this kind of cart elsewhere, but I often buy stuff at ULine. This is quite expensive. We can probably find it elsewhere. Thoughts????
Well, I have arrived in Saskatchewan, and while the travel day itself wasn't bad, there were some moments! Because I bought the ticket at the last minute, I didn't have much choice of seats and got stuck in the middle. Thankfully, I'm a relatively small person, because the man (window) beside me was rather large, and, well, there was no question of sharing the seat rest. He took over that and at least 4-6 inches of my seat. I was fine, but you can tell what size of people the airlines make their seats for!
WAIT --- let me back up to the Uber driver. It was dark when he picked me up, and we live on a circle court with a VERY LARGE circle. So when you arrive at our house, you don't need to follow the curb to get to the driveway. This guy was driving along the curb and ran over the neighbors' garbage (compost bags and some sticks) that were by the curb.
Why he was way over there is a mystery to me. And he had a spiffy new car. Not my problem, but it was the weirdest thing. I was standing out at the end of my driveway; there was no need for him to be close to the houses looking for numbers. Maybe he didn't see me?
I got through security with no problem, although I noticed there were a lot of people in the NEXUS line; it moved quickly. I got some food since I hadn't had breakfast. Of course, we all know that Tim's Pumpkin Spice muffins are out, and that's all I had for breakfast. No time to get in the LONG, LONG line for something more substantial.
I did have a sandwich with me, but there really wasn't much room to dig through my backpack to get it. I was fine!
While waiting for the remainder of the passengers to get on the plane, I was on my phone, madly trying to find a rental car. NOTHING - I mean, nothing at the airport. I tried all the companies; I tried a general car rental booking agency - NOTHING. But wait -- there are other cars and other locations. So I did find a car with Enterprise, and it was a short taxi ride from the airport.
I asked what was going on, and the guy said it was just busy. They had already processed 27 rentals that day (10:30 AM), and they had another 30 to go.
I also booked my hotel while waiting on the tarmac. I know—you would never do that, but it works for me. I'm 1000% flexible, and I'll take what I can get. I was just too frazzled the day before to book the car and hotel too, but I doubt I would have gotten a car at the airport. And I was also trying to find that darn car, and the Air Canada app on my phone wasn't working when I tried to upgrade, which I didn't get!
The good news is that I should get 50K status with the airline this year. That will be the first time for me - it doesn't give me much more than I currently have, but I will have access to the lounge, so instead of getting in the Tim's line, I could get something to eat in the lounge. But I like my Tim's tea!! I don't really care about the 50K, but it will be a milestone.
The Saskatoon airport is being renovated!!!! Huge sections are blocked off, and I wasn't sure where the car rental places were if I needed to pick up my car there. I'm guessing they will be living with this for months, if not years!!!!
 |
| Renovations at the Saskatoon airport |
The car rental place, which is very close to the airport, was just around the corner from the jigsaw puzzle place. WOW -- I had to stop, and the staff there are very friendly. So I chatted with the owner, and he showed me their wall of puzzles. They have a lady in North Battleford who makes up these giant puzzles for them. They transport them in sections and hang them on the wall. They had another one hung up. That's a cool way to display your puzzles - put them in a long, narrow hallway!!!!
 |
| A giant puzzle on the wall |
OK - I picked up something, but I didn't get a picture - I'll try to take a picture today. This store
—Puzzle Master —has all kinds of puzzles: metal puzzles, I spotted the EXIT Game Advent Calendar puzzle, wooden puzzles, 3D puzzles—it stocks a HUGE variety, so if you know a puzzler in your household, you should introduce them to this store. My grandfather would have been beside himself as he loved all kinds of wooden puzzles. Not a wooden jigsaw puzzle, but wooden puzzles where you have to unlock a secret.
Check out what I mean at this link.
Then it was on to
The Sewing Machine Store to say hello to the manager and the staff, whom I know from being there multiple times. Perhaps we will have an event sometime in the future!
I spotted this tool for storing your binding. There are so many tools for winding your binding, and here is one more. I've not heard of the Taylor Seville brand of tools. They also had a tool (same brand) for making fabric strips with batting for the jelly roll rug.
 |
| Binding spool |
While this will keep the binding nice and tidy, what the heck do you do with it when you want to sew the binding on? I think I'll stick to my figure-8 method using my hand. I realized the other day that my method is similar to winding a skein of yarn, and it works for me!!
Speaking of yarn, one of the ladies at the retreat had a beautiful yarn scarf that she made, and I thought it would be fun to make the same scarf. Thankfully, the ladies at the retreat sent me a picture of the scarf AND a picture of the yarn. They must have found that online.
The yarn shop is right beside The Sewing Machine store. So I had to stop. This is an amazing shop, and you could go nuts in here.
The shop is called Prairie Lily Knitting and Needlework, and it's high-end, but if you are into knitting, this is where you want to buy yarn!  |
| Inside the yarn shop |
I mean -- look at this gorgeous yarn with a shimmer in it. I could see some of that coming home with me. But even though I had room, I didn't buy any.
This yarn is called Firefly by King Cole. Hilarious, as it's the same brand as the thick/thin yarn I wanted, but that is long gone!
 |
| Beautiful Firefly yarn |
So I walked out with nothing, but that's OK. Then off to the final stop in Saskatoon: the bookstore. Oh yes -- the bookstore -
McNally Robinson. I can say that I've been to both locations (Winnipeg and Saskatoon) this year. I spotted some quilts hanging on the railing. I love that the Saskatoon Quilters' Guild hangs the quilts; it makes the place look a bit more homey.
I wanted to get a book for Mom, but it was sold out. You remember a while back I mentioned a book that was written by a lady who lives north of North Battleford - Grounds for Murder by Betty Ternier Daniels. Well, she will be speaking at the NB library on SATURDAY!!!! But I'll be teaching back home!!!
I'm not sure if this quilt is called Square Dance, but that was the name on it, and it looks like a wee bit of a challenge to put together.
 |
| Quilts in the bookstore |
And a farm-themed one. One of the ladies in our embroidery group made this quilt. Not this exact quilt, but one like it. It's farm-themed.
 |
| A machine-embroidered, farm-themed quilt |
And OH MY GOSH --- this was so cute. I don't know what the pattern is, but look at the wee duck on the left. That's so adorable!!!!
WAIT -- I found the pattern. It's called Duck March by Apples and Beavers, which I think is a Canadian company?
 |
| Duck March quilt - adorable!!!! |
I picked up a couple more logic books by Dr. Garth Moore and Laura Jayne Ayres. They are easy to travel with, and I LOVE doing them, although the one puzzle I'm working on is causing me some grief. I've had to erase the grid a few times, and I probably just need to focus!!!
Then I headed to North Battleford, where I got a bit of a shock when I arrived at the apartment building. There is ALWAYS a puzzle in progress in the common room. Look which puzzle it is!!! This is the one that I dropped off a couple of months ago. What are the chances that that puzzle would be completed when I walk in? Seriously -- that is like finding a needle in a haystack!!! The timing was uncanny!!!!
 |
| MY jigsaw puzzle is completed! |
When I went down a couple of hours later, that puzzle was gone, and they were working on the next one. That's what I mean—the time frame was so short, and yet it was there!!! I have brought another puzzle with me for them. And the two men who work on the puzzles are the nicest, so we always have a chat.
 |
| Progress on the next jigsaw puzzle in the common room |
So - you want to know about Dad. Well, to look at him, you would never know that he had a stroke last week. I swear the man has nine lives, and he was in good spirits, but I bet he's exhausted because he never did make it to a hospital ward, and it is NOISY in the hallway. I'm sure he was going mad because he described the hallway noises—a noisy swooshing double door and a hump in the hallway to conceal an electrical cord. Right by his bed. Poor guy!!!
But he is doing fine, and they have upped his cholesterol medication to help dissolve these blockages. One was in his head, and that one was gone before he left the hospital. The second one in his neck is still there, but apparently he could feel it, and it's nowhere near as prominent as it was. So all is good, and he dodged a bullet.
We haven't discussed when he goes for another scan - I must remember to ask today.
Then we spent the rest of the day discussing paper! While Dad is still very cognizant, he is easily confused by paper, and when I looked at some of what was bugging him, I can see exactly why. And god forbid that he has an overdue bill - that drives him mad. So he wanted me to drive him (no driving for 30 days) to pay the bill, but that wasn't possible since they wanted cash or a certified cheque, and we can pay it online, so we are going to do that today.
He hates AI more than I do and wants me to get rid of the AI CRAP on his computer. Good luck to me for that!
I'm making sure everything is good with their documents, which it is, although we can't find two critical documents I know they created. They weren't where they were supposed to be, so we need to find them today. And I'm ensuring that everything they need, should something happen, is in ONE spot. I'm tempted to take pictures so I know they are there, but I'll think about that one. What I might do is make a list of what is included in that folder and attach it to the front.
That way we know what is there at a glance. Why do I feel that we will be visiting the bank, the lawyer, and the accountant while I am here? They have things in order—don't get me wrong —but they kept old versions of everything, so I sorted through it, and all the old stuff is now gone. And Mom was encouraging me to get rid of it. WAIT? -What is happening here?
The problem is that they are so easily confused that they need someone to keep all that stuff. My brother will be given copies of the health directives, so in the future, should he need them, he has them in HIS possession, not in a book at the house.
Then I need to communicate to my brothers that everything is in order and they don't need to do anything to make that happen. Everything is done and in one place.
We made good progress, but today is going to be filled with more of the same! And you know what? I'm OK with that. I'd rather do that, know what is going on, and have it all in a safe place than be in a mad scramble if something happens. That's why I'm here! It's amazing how consuming paperwork is. But I should know since I do so much of it myself.
I wasn't sure I'd have enough to do to fill my three days. Now I could probably do with an extra day!!! But we'll get it done!
And we have an assessment this morning. I don't think they really comprehend what it's all about—I don't think Dad does, but I explained to him that they need more help or possibly a move, and that is what this assessment is all about. I'll have to deal with the aftermath after the caseworker leaves.
I totally appreciate that people want to stay in their homes as long as they can, but at what point do you move because you need so much extra help? That is the question. This isn't about cognitive skills; it is about physical ability and safety. It's a nasty decision to make, and hopefully after this morning's visit, we will have more knowledge in our pocket to make those decisions.
We decided to have pizza for dinner last night, and I headed out to get it. When I arrived back at the apartment, I spotted an ambulance outside the front door. OH -- hopefully that is not for them. I was just gone 20 minutes, and they were fine.
So when I got to their floor and spotted this outside their door, that threw me for a loop. Of course, I didn't panic—why would I? If something happened, they were in good hands. Thankfully, it was for their neighbor across the hall.
 |
| A stretcher in the hall! Thankfully, NOT for my parents! |
I spotted this on IG, and I thought it was hilarious.
 |
| LOL -- new rules!!!! |
LOL --- how funny. Notice, I did NOT go to the thrift store here! I do not need another puzzle!
Well, it is going to be an interesting and LONG day. Besides my parents, I'm dealing with a couple of other family things (nothing bad), but it just takes time. So let's get all this worked out right now, and then I can get back to my quiet life with my girls and DH. That'll be several weeks before that happens.
I am so thankful I moved all my data onto small drives I can carry with me. My entire digital life is with me—Yep—I know that is a risk since there is no backup. But I'm OK with that. If I'm going down, then I'll go down with my digital data!
While I miss the quilting retreat, I am so glad I decided to come. We are accomplishing lots, and they need this done. Sadly, they are at that age when they need a keeper to remind them of the important decisions they made. OK --- we've done it before, I've explained it before, but they need it done every so often to remind them. And this time, we are getting rid of all the extraneous crap.
On that happy note, it's going to be another wonderful day!!!! Happy puzzling!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment