Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Hidden spots for refined sugar

Here's hoping for a good start on the day! I have resent emails to the class groups for Show and Tell, 40 Shades of Grey, and My Kinda Town. I just sent them a few minutes ago. If you did NOT receive an email about one of those classes, and you have signed up, please let me know. And this will be the FINAL call for signing up! You can also forward the class link to a friend if you want, but I need to firm those lists up so I can move on to prepping the classes. 

The scrap quilt confirmation will be coming by tomorrow. 

I goofed in not searching my inbox for those emails I missed in my initial sorting process, and some people signed up for two or more classes in the same email, and it's kind of hard to put one email in two spots. But I believe all is good. 

Speaking of medications, what about supplements? I take a few of those, and I guess you could go crazy as you stand in the drug store scouring the shelves. I take a couple of gummies—I know—it's silly. But the other day we had a chat about gummies in our sewing group. 

Someone mentioned that the gummies are full of sugar, and one person, who takes a gummy, said she washes the sugar off, and then it's OK. Seriously? That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. Some gummies come with sugar on them, while the others are just a gummy. I'm sorry - a gummy is a gummy, and it's loaded with sugar.

Here's the label on my Jamieson D3 (1000 UI). 



Notice that the FIRST TWO ingredients are sugar!!!! 

I went to the website to try to find the sugar content for the gummy. These ones, by the way, do not have a sugar coating. I found the answer in the Q&A because someone asked about the sugar content as they were diabetic. I find that kind of sad that someone had to ask instead of it being displayed on the website, or why not even on the label? 

The amount of sugar per gummy is 1.5 grams, which is just less than half a teaspoon. It's not a lot, but when combined with the rest of the food we eat in a day, this could add up. For someone wanting to eliminate refined sugar from their diet, getting rid of the gummies is probably a good idea. I'm going to use up what I have, and then I'll resort to a different format. 

 For my information, I'm also going to check the sugar content of the other two gummies I take. I know - I don't eat candy, but I'm happy to eat a gummy supplement. That's kind of silly if you ask me! 

Speaking of sugar, look at this!! I'm starting to hate those labels on food because everything I like has a label with high fat, sugar, or sodium! It's not that I won't eat those bran muffins because of the high sugar or sodium content, but it's the combined quantity we eat in a day! I might track my food intake for a week and see where I stand. I should really get my butt in gear and bake muffins. WAIT - I need to get that oven fixed first. Why can't they just bake muffins that are low in sugar and sodium? WAIT -- the consumer wouldn't buy it because it would taste like cardboard. There has to be a way. Hmmm --- when I get my oven back, perhaps I could experiment to find a solution I'd like that is lower in sugar and sodium. 

My bran muffins are high in sugar and sodium.


I must add that (getting the oven fixed) to my list! I found a clipboard yesterday and started a list, as many things are floating in my head, and I need to get on top of them. Adding the oven situation to the list is important. 

My clipboard with important papers! 


Speaking of candy, I don't buy candy, but when something comes into my house, I may or may not (most likely MAY!) eat it. 

I had ordered the new power cable for the camera switch box that I lost months ago. It arrived yesterday, and they included a sucker! Of course, I ate the sucker. 

A gift with my power cord


And then I tested the power cord. It works!!!! That's music to my ears. 

The power cord works!!


And now that power cord is included in my bag of cords and cables necessary to do a Facebook Live. 


The power cord is now in the bag with the rest of the cords and cables.


Even though I said I would not pick at the paper bits on Tequila Lime, I did! But no more - I'm done. Apparently the link to the quilting design didn't work yesterday, so here it is againwith a second one. I don't know if I can manage to figure out how to do that on the long arm, but it will be a good learning experience. These designs are digitized specifically for this quilt. 

Here's a picture of the first one. 











I'll have a closer look at all three and then order one. I don't think any of these patterns include an extra border, so I may rethink my plan to add another border to the quilt. 

Although you can't really see it in this picture, the air was heavy yesterday. A lot of humidity - it was so thick, it was like a mist! And we had light rain for most of the day, so it was very humid. 

The air was so heavy, you could see the humidity.


And of course, our silly girl seems to like sleeping in the rain, so she was wet for most of the day. 


MOM - I also like being in Studio B with you!



I had to clean one of my sewing machines yesterday, so I dug out a new needle. AHA -- more Diane Phalen designs on some tins. The unlabelled one is my needles, and it goes in a specific spot, so no need to label that one. I checked - none of these are the same as the puzzle I just finished. 

More Diane Phalen quilt tins



And for those of you who think I need an intervention with jigsaw puzzles, think again. Look at this. This is TWO of six bookcases where this person stores their puzzles. Oh my!!!!!



And look at this!!! Someone posted this picture - they are at a Ravensburger store in Kiel, Germany! That would NOT be a good place to go. Who knew that puzzle companies actually had their own stores? Ravensburger is a high-end, amazing-quality, huge company that sells puzzles worldwide. Just checked the map - Kiel is a town in the northeast corner of Germany, with a population of about 250,000. Big enough for a Ravensburger puzzle store!  

Ravensburger store in Kiel, Germany


Ravensburger is a German company, and their puzzles are made in Germany and the Czech Republic, although they're widely available in many shops here in North America. Well, if you dig a bit deeper, the Ravensburger company is located in Ravensburg, Germany! AHA - I did not know that. 


While I was able to return the light and order the final electrical product we need, I didn't get much else done. No table assembly, nor the leader on the long arm. Hopefully today!


I'll leave you with these words of wisdom. 






This is so true, and after some of the recent world events, we are rich beyond our means just for having a roof over our heads and clean water to drink. The world can be a scary place these days and extremely volatile. We must never take anything for granted!!

OK—here's to hoping all the class emails went to the right people and we can get started sewing on our new projects shortly!! It's September -- where did the summer go? 

Have a wonderful day!!!

Ciao!!!




2 comments:

  1. My supplements are all in tablet/capsule form. I do use an AM/PM pilltaker for them. That could help you take that weekly bone density pill? Hubster has to take a med 30" before food daily so bedside when he wakes. By the time he does his morning routine the time has passed and he can eat breakfast.

    I love to cook so rarely purchase ready-to-eat foods. I may have to read labels just for entertainment?????

    Consider Kodiak protein power mix to make muffins. They are fabulous!

    Happy Tuesday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to bake and find most baked items way too sweet. I always cut the sugar by at least one third, sometimes even half without sacrificing taste. If you use unsalted butter, the pinch of salt you might add is an insignificant amount. Time to fix your oven and start baking Elaine. Most baked goods can be frozen, so doled out as you desire.

    ReplyDelete