Thursday, January 24, 2019

About being healthy


ACK -- I had some writing that had to get done this morning and I have a Sit n Sew day today so there's not a lot of time! Can you believe that I get "complaints" if the blog isn't posted by 7:30 AM!!!!  So certain people can read the blog on their way to work. Oh, there are some troublemakers out there! Just so you know, I do try to get the blog posted by 7:30 AM because I have two girls who like to go for a walk at 7:30. It's all in fun and I sure had to laugh when I got that call!

While I got a lot of work done yesterday, I'm not able to share any of it with you. You'll see it all in due time. Matter of fact, you'll see it all next week.

In addition to running the long arm and the embroidery machine and a sewing machine, I managed to make a big pot of soup. I know - ME? In the kitchen? Hell must be freezing over.

Two things inspired me to make that pot of soup. First, when M and James were here at Christmas, James made us a big pot of soup and it was great to run to the fridge and grab a bowl and heat it up for lunch. I've been meaning since Christmas to make the soup once again. Then earlier this week, the new Canada's food guide came out and well - guess what? Cook more at home! OK - it's time to make that darn soup.

I got out all the ingredients. Did I have a recipe? Of course not! I don't cook with recipes. I may bake with a recipe, but cooking with one? Boring! It's a vegetable soup so seriously - how could one go wrong?


Ingredients for vegetable soup
Seriously - it's basically a "clean out the fridge" kind of soup. So I chopped some veggies and put them in the pot. Ran downstairs and kept feeding bobbins to the embroidery machine or the long arm. Then back up to chop more veggies and that's how the afternoon went.

I was happy with the progress on all fronts and I got loads of Fitbit steps in as well.  I almost forgot to put the spices in the soup. Now how did I remember which spices James put in his soup? I had taken a picture of course!!!  I opened up the picture, saw which ones he used and added a glop of that one and a glop of this one and a couple of bay leaves and we're good to go! I couldn't find one of the ones he made but no matter - let's just go with it!


This is what the final pot looked like. I think his soup looked different but no matter - this is MY soup. It has lentils and chickpeas so full of protein.

My veggie soup

I had soup for dinner. I took my first taste - OH MY GOD - it was amazing!!!!  I LOVE the flavor. OK - I'll make that again!!!  Well - I guess I have to since these days, we're all eating way healthier in this house.

As for Canada's Food Guide - I'm going to chat more about that one day. I have to say that I'm impressed. Probably because it follows the philosophy that I've been adopting all last year. Reducing refined sugar, eating more fruit and veggies, cutting down on dairy and meat. I may not even introduce dairy back into my diet - I've been off dairy for a couple of weeks and I don't miss it, except maybe those little pots of yogurt from Riviera. No caffeine, no chocolate. I always like something sweet to finish off a meal and I'm finding that I'm totally satisfied with an apple or some cantaloupe. That never used to happen. Does this mean that I'm finally converted away from all refined sugar???  I sure hope so.

My weight has been super stable - right in the middle of that 5-pound buffer zone. Other than my minimum 10,000 steps in a day, I haven't really been to the gym much in the last couple of weeks. I need to get there - even if it's for stretching and I love the sauna and steam room!

In keeping with the healthy, green lifestyle  - I love using these beeswax wraps for food. We have a couple but never seem to have enough so I bought some more last night. I get mine at Oh Look Fabric in Milton. I paid $30 for five. You may think that's expensive, but how much do you pay for saranwrap and you have to replace that. These are totally reuseable and very environmentally friendly.


Beeswax wraps


I'll show you one picture from yesterday. I was doing embroidery with blue thread. I thought I only had two spools of the blue and wouldn't you know it - I was soon playing thread chicken. Except that I lost big time! I still had thousands of stitches to stitch out when the second spool was done. I went back to the thread box and wouldn't you know it - I had a THIRD spool of that same color!!!!  How cool is that!!!!


Thread chicken -a win/loss


I seem to be ripping through spools of thread this year. I think that's about three or more that I've emptied so far. I'm going to have to stock up on embroidery thread one day. Yikes - that's going to hurt the pocketbook. What I need to do is take my boxes of thread to the store and look at the colors I have and what I don't have. Otherwise, when I go shopping, I end up buying the same thread colors which I already have which is why I end up with three spools of the same color!!!!

Last night, I had a class at Oh Look Fabric. It's a learn to quilt class. There are six in the group. Six amazing and super eager students. It was so much fun. I didn't get any pictures, but I bet Andi has them up on her IG pages. I can't wait to see the blocks next time we get together. I love teaching new quilters - they are so eager. I remember when I first started - before I finished the first quilt, I was onto the second and haven't stopped since.

OK - so for those of you who read the blog at 7:30 AM - I've made the deadline!

Have a great day!!!!

Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment