Monday, January 28, 2019

UFOs


I had a great class teaching applique to a local guild yesterday morning and then back home where we had our first UFO class. Oh my - for those of you who did NOT sign up - well too bad. It was loads of fun - we're definitely going to learn from each other and I've realized that $10 is worth a lot to me! And the others as well.

In previous classes where there was a financial penalty, I realized that it's very hard to get the money out of the students. They don't show up or they don't cough up the cash. This time, I'm holding their cash hostage. If they get the homework done, they get the cash back. If they don't, it goes into a pot and we'll decide later what happens to the money. Hopefully, there won't be any money in the pot at the end of the year. And in one person's case, I'm holding their cash refund so it's like forced savings for them!  Go figure!

We meet again in two weeks so that timeline had to be taken into consideration when deciding what goals could be accomplished before the next meeting. Just in case you think some of the goals are not big enough. The goals set were also dependant on how much time each person has to work on the project in the next two weeks.

Some of the people just needed a deadline set for them and some people needed advice or to learn a technique or figure out the next steps. We had a round robin discussion for those that needed help which was great as we all pitched ideas to the owner of the UFO and now it's up to them to sort it out.

It was interesting to see the projects that people brought. Let's have a look and see what happened.

We started off with Elaine S. She brought a "brand-new" UFO. She hasn't really started the project yet but has had all the tools, pattern, and fabric for a while. So it qualifies as a UFO. A quick lesson on how to use the Quick Curve Ruler and she's good to go. Her goal: make a couple of sample blocks to get the technique down pat before she starts on the good fabric!

Elaine S - Urban Abacus by Sew Kind of Wonderful

Lynne brought a completed quilt top that she designed herself. Hm - what does she need help with? Ah - the quilting. We chatted about various types of quilting appropriate for the top and she got the information she needed. Her homework is to get part of the quilting done and look for a specific motif that she wants to incorporate on the quilt.

Lynne M

Susan brought this quilt top. The photo doesn't do the fabric justice. The quilt is gorgeous and we told her to watch it or it might disappear. She had fabric for the borders/binding but wasn't sure which was which. We offered suggestions and her homework is to figure out what she has, which fabric will go where and be ready to cut.

Susan's quilt top
 Liz also brought a quilt top. This is from the book called Candy Cane Lane by Melinda Bula. Oh dear - I just found out that she lost her home in the Camp Fire in California and her online shop is temporarily closed. Liz has modified the quilt quite a bit from the book, but had run into difficulty with the top border. We had a big discussion about options for the top. Her task is to finish the stitching around the appliques and then make a decision on what goes in the top.


Liz's quilt top - Candy Cane Lane is the inspiration
 Laura brought Kaleidoscope by Quilt Addicts Anonymous. The center part of the quilt is together!!!  And some of the other blocks for the huge triangles (to set this medallion on point) are together. Her goal is to sort through the blocks that are made to figure out what still needs to be made and to cut everything that isn't already cut.

Laura's Kaleidoscope
 Ronda brought Amish with a Twist II by Nancy Rink Designs. She has quite a few blocks made but is missing a few. Her goal is to make two blocks.

Ronda's Amish with a Twist II


Shelley wasn't able to make it because of sketchy weather. Hey - it's January and she lives far away. We gave her a break. But not because of that. She sent me numerous pictures of her project so it was like she was here! She's making a poodle quilt and her goal is to finish the six blocks needed to sew the quilt together. I wonder what she stood on to take this picture? A ladder?? Not sure the source of her pattern.

Shelley's poodle quilt

Sharon was not here either as she was sunning herself on the beach somewhere in the Caribbean. Never mind, she's going to do double duty when she comes to the next class!

I decided to play with the group and I chose Stitcher's Garden as my project. I taught this class TWICE and only got three blocks done. That's sad - typical but sad!

Stitcher's Garden
 Some of the other blocks are started! This takes up a lot of room on my shelf and I want the space so it's getting done. Here's some of the blocks partially finished. My goal - finish Month 4 which has two blocks to do  - bits and pieces of both of them in the picture below.

My homework for the next class
I decided after the group left yesterday that I would get started while I was fired up. First road block - what color thread did I use to quilt the backgrounds of each block? That thread stayed with the project for a few years (the first time I taught it was in 2015). I put the thread in the thread box because I was tired of it falling off the shelf. 


Backgrounds of all the applique blocks are quilted
 But a quick trip to the thread box and I found this - I'm pretty sure that it's the right thread. If not - it's close enough!!!!


The thread for quilting the backgrounds

 This is going to be a fun year-long project. As one person finishes their project (to their point of finish), then they get to choose another project and from the sounds of it, there's a lot of UFOs out there.

While I was tidying up - I have three empty pizza boxes. Anyone want a pizza box to put their project in??? I suppose I could use them with some of the other stuff lying around.

Three empty pizza boxes


Guess what other exciting thing is happening today?? No - not the snow storm. Shoveling is already boring for the year. But I don't mind - it's good exercise if you do it properly.

No - it's my week to blog on QUILTsocial. This week, I'm using the HUSQVARNA VIKING Designer Brilliance 80. It's a sewing and embroidery machine. It has so many wonderful features. You must check it out. Don't forget that there's an app for QUILTsocial that you can download to your smart device. Then you just open the app and there's the latest post from QUILTsocial. There's loads of cool information on that website. Even though I'm reviewing the sewing machine, I'm still providing tons of tips on sewing stuff that you can apply to your projects.

On that note, I'm out of here. It's Monday sewing and I'm fired up to work on my other UFO from the UFO list. The hand applique one. The gingerbread boy!

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment