Saturday, January 26, 2019

Play day!


Yesterday was a play day. I couldn't really afford the time for a play day, but it seemed like a good idea at the time when the play day was booked.

On a serious note - if anyone is in the $25 class at the Hobby Horse TODAY, the class has been canceled (and the schedule will be adjusted to accommodate the missed class). The parking lot is a mess with ice and they're working on getting it cleared up. That gives me some free time this morning, but I'll just plug away at more sample making and be that much further ahead.

The planning for the play day actually started over a year ago. Ronda bought a copy of this book for each of us. The Quilter's Year Book.

Quilter's Year Book

Each week, there's an activity to do related to quilting. Of course, I'm bad at getting it done - some stuff I've done, some pages have samples that need to be glued in. I think we got to the fourth or fifth week (yes - we started last January) and we came to this page.

The activity of the Week - Top of the Class


It's about classes. What teacher would you like to take a class from? After much discussion on our part, we decided that it wasn't the teacher that we cared so much about (we're NOT groupies by any means), but the technique. What technique would we like to learn and it had to be one that we were both interested in. We ended up agreeing on a walking foot class.

Sounds easy - right? Well, it took forever for us to find a class that fit both of our schedules. Almost a year! But yesterday was the day.

I was fairly well prepped for the class. Mostly - I had forgotten to take my rulers, but we didn't need them much so I was able to borrow from Ronda. Oh - and I forgot my painter's tape so I "borrowed" a piece from her as well.

There were five of us in the class. There are two good books on walking foot quilting - this one by Melissa Marginet. The one that we mostly used in class.


Walking Foot Quilting Designs by Melissa Marginet

The second book is called Walk by Jacquie Gering.

Walk by Jacquie Gering

I see there are others - you can check them out here.  Personally, I like Melissa's book - she's Canadian. We need to support our Canadian authors and teachers!!!!

I was a very good student (that doesn't happen often) and followed (for the most part) the instructor's lesson plan. Here are my samples. I used a King Tut variegated thread on the top. Pretty cool effects. Remember - those orange letters were for the touch test (designed by Shirley). I'm using up the samples for new samples!



Walking foot sample number one

Walking foot sample number two

Walking foot sample number three


Some of those examples are not finished so I hope to get back to that so I'll have good samples to show in the event that I want to teach a class on walking foot quilting. There's definitely a place for walking foot quilting. There's an issue with ruler classes, free motion classes, walking foot classes, quilting classes in general. The instructors address the techniques and patterns in the class, but I don't see much of it on big quilts. That's a problem which I address in my samples and my teaching. How do you take those techniques and learn out to put them on a large quilt? It's important!

I could have learned this on my own, but that wasn't the point. The point was for Ronda and me to have a play day AND to learn something that neither of us had taken before. It was a great day and I have to confess that we did a wee bit of shopping. BUT - I have several samples that I'm in the process of making and I really am missing some fabrics for them. I'm all good now and I'll use that as the jumping off point to supplement from my stash.

What sewing machine did I take? Well, I took my small class friendly machine. It's the HUSQVARNA VIKING Opal 690Q. Here's a link to my TOP TEN reasons why I love the machine. It might not be apparent from reading my top ten, but it has the SAME features I love that are on the bigger machines that I sew on at home - the sensor foot in particular. The other thing I love is that it's lightweight. If you have a larger machine at home and want a full-featured machine that's lightweight and portable - this is the one! I know it's a lot of money, but it's so nice to have those features - I hate sewing on a machine that doesn't have them. This is the best of both worlds - top features and lightweight.



There was a major accident on the highway on the way home, but we had been warned so we took some back roads to bypass the mess. I imagine that mess caused a lot of headaches as people made they way home last night. People need to be more careful on the roads!

Breakfast was a bit sketchy this morning. There was no almond milk! My grocery shopper failed me. Even my oatmeal was very dry without a wee bit of almond milk in it. I guess grocery shopping is on the list of things to do today.

A quick note about classes. It amazes me how classes for popular teachers - I'm talking BIG name teachers fill up so quickly and are often very expensive. Some of them are good teachers and some of them are not. People flock to them like ants to a picnic. Why? I don't think it's because of the techniques that they are teaching. No - it's because people want to be part of that person's "group" and be able to say I took a class with "famous teacher x".

I know that I get pressure from my guild to bring in big-name speakers and teachers. I don't think it's necessary to spend all that extra money to bring in a NAME when we have other people that can do the job just as well or even better. Why or why are we so struck with big names????  It doesn't matter which industry you look at or which hobby - everyone wants to spend time with famous people. It's totally crazy! I'd go for a good quality technique class over a class with someone famous any day! You'll learn way more because people are there to learn, not to be a groupie. 

On that note, I"m out of here for the day!

Have a great day!!!

Ciao!!!


6 comments:

  1. Elaine, with your new desire to prepare more of your own food at home, you should try making your own almond milk. It’s easy, and you can control what goes in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose -- I heard that! Apparently with the Vitamix - it's a breeze. I should give that a shot. Shoot - I should have done that the other day - I do have almonds in the house. Next time!

      Delete
  2. Can’t Agee with you more, about having teachers who fly by on their name, or things they USED to do well, but now just want groupies. I spent a large amount of money one year to take a class with someone who has developed her own rulers, and she spent over 1/3 of the class “promoting” her products, her catalogue, and her rulers, that she “rented” to us for $5, with a refund if we bought one after the class! All that, in US$, to boot! Her teaching wasn’t awesome, either. We have many talented teachers in Canada, let’s promote them. Thanks for listening. Jill in Phoenix/Calgary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill -- thanks so much for your comments. That's exactly what I'm talking about!!! Those "names" just want a piece of the ruler pie or the pattern pie or the book pie and well, I don't want the pie! Yes - to promoting our Canadian teachers!!

      Delete
  3. I was a teacher in my 'real'life, and sadly, I think it has jaded me in expecting teachers of any kind to be reasonably decent at what they are doing. I also taught a wide variety of quilting classes in my locale as there was a sad lack of quilting instructors. I used to take classes whenever they were offered to support our guild and to widen my quilting horizons. I have become much more picky and part of the reason is that I have zero tolerance for the expensive classes with published teachers who have not spent time learning how to teach a class of quilters with a wide variety of abilities. Sadly, I find the worst offenders are the "modern" guilds who jump on published or famous teachers and they rave about the instructors. My old fashioned, tradition guild has classes that are cheaper, more fun, useful and you can be sure you will leave the group with at least one "new to me" technique or idea. I have had a few good classes with the modern guild and one was on machine quilting taught by two 'real' teachers who mastered the techniques and knew how to teach and help the novice to experienced quilters in their class. But, generally, I avoid the hype of the up and coming published quilters teaching classes. They spend too much time chatting with those in the class that are excited to just be there while the rest of us are waiting to learn something to expand our abilities as quilters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are right on the money with your comments!!! I did take a class at Quiltcon several years - total waste of money and I walked out which doesn't happen often. My colleague did as well in a different class. What amazes me is that those Quiltcon classes are gone in minutes after the links are published. We need to teach the world how to teach!!!! Thanks for following!

      Delete