Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Dream Big


Have you ever have one of those days? Nothing seems to go right and you're just out of sorts with the world? That seemed to be the start of my day yesterday. However, I had a good chat with myself in the afternoon - literally I talked to myself out loud to snap out of it and I felt much better afterward. Good thing no one was privy to that conversation.

I think this quote fits me perfectly for yesterday. I wasn't all here, but after the chat - I was.


Quote of the day


Then I was able to get to work. The suitcase is almost full. I have a couple of small things to add today. Then to pack up the portable office and I'll be good to go.

So what did I manage to get done?

I turned on the embroidery machine so I could get some embroidery done. AHA - there's an update. So I downloaded the update and then ran it. The updates don't happen frequently, but I love how easy it is to update the machine. The files download automatically and install automatically - I just have to touch the button to say "yes - do it now" or "wait and do it later". I wonder if we got any goodies in this update. Sometimes, it's to add a small fix, but sometimes we get new functions and I love that. I'll find out later.

The only disappointing thing? I want those cogs to turn as it's doing the update. They do NOT. Only the little bar at the bottom moves along. Funny how our brains are trained to visually see things move when we're waiting as in the computer world - you now - we get those rotating circles when things are working behind the scenes.


Updating the DESIGNER EPIC 2

I worked on the small seasonal wall hangings. This one was partially fused in place and all the pieces were cut out. The green bits had no fusible on the back of them, so I used some spray glue to help hold the bits in place. That will be a bit tricky when I do the satin stitching, but it'll have to do. The borders got sewn on and this one is ready for the next step.


April seasonal wall hanging

I had traced all the pieces for June but wasn't happy with all the fabrics in the kit. I got the fabrics sorted out yesterday and I'll deal with that on Monday.

It was onto July. I love July. Actually, all of them are cute!!!!! This one is now ready for the satin stitching.

July seasonal wall hanging

WOW - I have six of them ready to go. Well, January is ready to be quilted and the other five are ready for satin stitching. I threw a couple more in my bag of stuff for Monday. It shouldn't take long to get the rest of these ready for the satin stitching and perhaps I'll take a couple with me to the retreat. I'll see how it goes.


All the seasonal wall hangings to date


Some stuff did get put away. ALL the scraps are now dealt with and bagged and back in the storage room to be further dealt with another day. The main sorting is done and that's all I really cared about for the moment.

Then I was onto the BIG project of the day. Remember the DREAM BIG panel that I had wanted? Well, it's time to get started on that.

I had purchased the embroidery files a couple of weeks ago. I've been watching the video and I'm ready. OH shoot - I needed to find some backing and that was tough because the panel is so big. I must confess that I'm totally winging this as and I need, I'll add some more backing. The backing is good on the top and bottom of the panel, but the sides of the backing are exactly the same width as the panel.

I'm using Quilter's Dream Request batting which is very thin. The pieces I had weren't quite big enough and had to be joined. But that's done. Then I realized that I'm supposed to wash the panel. Hmmm - that might because of shrinkage? The designs will fit better if it's washed? So I had to take a moment to wash and dry the backing and the panel.

That's done and now I can proceed. I won't tell you how casual I am about making this happen. I didn't even baste the three pieces together. But do NOT tell anyone that. However, with a good press each time, it's going to be just fine. I'm totally breaking the rules of how the designer quilted it.

But here's the thing. The Husqvarna Viking DESIGNER EPIC 2 has some AMAZING features like the DESIGN PLACEMENT app that make this embroidery a piece of cake!! I'll try to take some pictures as I'm working later today. Let's not forget about Design Positioning as well to get the design more or less where you want it. It's so easy. Actually, I'll be doing some posts on QUILTsocial at the end of the month so you'll see it all then. This is just a sneak peek.

Stitching out the first design

There are 51 different designs for the panel. I got the first one done yesterday. It's a bit difficult to get that first design lined up just right. Not because of the tools, but because it doesn't seem to fit properly on the panel. But honestly, when the rest of the designs are snugged in there, no one is going to be the wiser.

The first design

I didn't take a picture of the backing, but I'm using one color of thread to match the backing and it looks great. You can't see the stitching which is exactly how it should be. The stitching is pretty dense and with my thin batting, this project is going to be thin and dense. It's a wall hanging so I don't really care. I hope to get a few more designs stitched out today.

The first one had two colors of thread, while the remaining designs have just one color. Some of the petals are much smaller as well, so they don't take as long and now that I'm prepped and know (more or less) what I'm doing, it won't take long. Slow and steady and DO NOT STOP!

I'm also planning to stitch the designs out on a blank piece of fabric - essentially make a whole cloth quilt from the designs. That's going to take more time so I'm doing the easy one first.

On that note, I'm out of here! Off to spin class.

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!



2 comments:

  1. I love that first design!

    You really are a quilter for all seasons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justine - aren't those designs cute? They were designed by Patrick Lose.

      Delete