Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Let the games BEGIN

I think I'm almost back to normal time, but I'm still tired in the morning, so always a little bit behind; I should be good tomorrow. 

OK—so what's with all the dreaming? The sleep I'm getting is deep because I'm dreaming, which I probably do every night, but I just don't remember the dreams. 

I remember the dreams, and it's weird how it takes events in a day and mixes them up. The last two nights have both been dreams about quilting. A friend mentioned a quilt she was making the other day, and now she's winning an award at Quilt Canada for that quilt! The other night, I met a quilter because I crashed at her house and slept in a bed with a quilt top on it. Good grief—where is all this coming from? 

I would say the fatigue is more from lack of sleep on the way home and not the 6-hour time difference. I'm not a great sleeper on a plane. That's not entirely true, as I can usually sleep, just not for a long period. And if I'm tired and can't sleep, I get restless leg syndrome (or something like it) in my right leg. My right leg then has a mind of its own, and it will not settle, which keeps the rest of me awake! Eventually, I fell asleep, but it took a long time. 

So, I'm learning to play the upgrade game with airline seats. Since I typically travel alone, don't care about my seat, and have never had points to get an upgrade, I never worried about it. I traveled with DH this past trip, and I've got over 60 credits to upgrade. 

You can check in online 24 hours before your flight using the app on your phone. We could not check in because we were flying a non-alliance airline on the first leg of the trip (Hawaiian Airlines), and it drove him mad! Only when we arrived at the ticket counter could we check in and start the game! 

I had managed to get a premium economy seat, and he was still in economy, but we were both trying for Business Class. The lists were long, but because of our status and the fare we bought, we were bumped up the list to single digits or something like that. I don't even remember; there were so many changes. 

Once we checked in, I was bumped up to number TWO for business class, and he was somewhere on the list to bump to Premium Economy. We would know at the last minute if we were to get upgraded. 

Then, the person before me got called to the counter, and he secured that Business Class ticket. Everyone else had already checked in, so unless someone died in the waiting area, I wouldn't get upgraded. We were making "fun" of the guy as he was with a party of four and why he wanted to be separated from the rest of the party, etc. It turns out that there was a baby in his group, and he gave his seat to the mom and baby. OK -- so he turned out to be a nice guy!!!

But because of that bump, DH got bumped to Premium Economy (don't ask how this system works), so we both had Premium Economy. It's a crazy system, and it's all based on your status and how much you paid for your ticket. It's a highly complex system, to be sure. 

So, I'm now sitting with many upgrade credits that I must try and use before the end of the year. Let's see how successful I'll be!!! 

Now I know what it feels like to win silver in the Olympics. Yep -- you "win," but you don't get that good seat!!! 

As we walked to the Customs area, we spotted the Emirates plane -- that giant double-decker plane. It arrives in Toronto on Mondays (around (9:30), and I guess it was waiting to leave. One day, if I win the lottery, which won't happen since I don't usually buy tickets, I'll take a first-class trip somewhere!

Emirates plane


I had one more Zoom on embroidery software that I wasn't as prepared for as I would have liked, but all was good. Then, I got to work on my Heartfelt Sampler, which needs to be done in two weeks. I fixed the two areas that needed to be fixed in the first half, and then I tackled the second half. I made good progress, and I'm pretty happy. I LOVE the look of the quilt. 

I even made that missing block. I have to set it aside, as I now have to prepare for the classes this weekend. 

The missing block from Heartfelt Sampler

Of course, I had company while I was sewing. He loves to curl up this blanket on the floor and is happy. 


Hanging out with grandma


Seriously??? Murphy and Bear have synchronized themselves. I was standing in the kitchen when they started doing yoga! This is their version of a synchronized downward dog!! They're so cute. When I went to look for them later, they were in the dog bed in the front window. 

Synchronized downward dog

Let the games begin! I pulled out the final EXIT Game Advent Calendar. I think this one is from 2022. We solved the first riddle last night with no issues. But my common sense prevailed! DH wanted me to do something silly, so I tried my way first, and it worked! Yeah!!!! But since we are a team, his logic will prevail over mine in some future puzzles! 


EXIT Game Advent Calendar


For those of us who like to make lists, here's a quote. This is so true—it's just when your list is long and there's no time to get those little bits done that it becomes a problem!!




But I'm in pretty good shape for this month. I have some travel to plan and some events to get ready for, but if I plan my time properly, I should NOT have to be caught in a bind for time. Slow and steady, watch those deadlines, and get the work done BEFORE. I think I'm back to normal now, so all should be good. 

I'm hosting a two-hour class on Sunday morning for the BRAND NEW MACHINE EMBROIDERER or anyone wanting a refresher. It's going to cover how to hoop fabrics, what is stabilizer, needles, designs, etc. It's a freebie for my Machine Embroidery group (FULL), but I can offer this free class to anyone else since I'm already running it. If you're interested, send me an e-mail - elainetheriault@gmail.com.

And I completely forgot to let you know that my blog posts for QUILTsocial are up! I tried a bunch of techniques this week on the Husqvarna Viking Designer Epic 3, but they can be translated to other machines—well, parts of them can. Check it out. 




I'll reference the links as they appear. 


I also see that I used the incorrect name for one foot, and it needs to be changed. GRR—I hate it when I do that. 


Oh well --- add that to the list of things to do today. 

On that note, I'm out of here, and hopefully, the LAST day that the blog is late!

Have a super day!!!

Ciao!!!








1 comment:

  1. It takes a while to get back to normal after a 6 hour time difference! You are doing better than I would.
    Dreams usually happen during REM sleep so perhaps you are getting more sleep in that stage right now.

    ReplyDelete