Friday, August 9, 2013

Day 44 - Tobermorey to Owen Sound

We got off to an early start as Neil wanted to get to the bike shop in Owen Sound. His bottom bracket was clunking and that isn't a good thing.

We stopped at a bakery in Lion's Head. Oh - there is a fabric shop here - Grieg's Fabrics, but it wasn't open by the time we left so we rode on by. Then we passed a local church where we noticed a sign for a quilt show THAT DAY, but again - it was only 9:15 and the show didn't open until 10 so we carried on. No time for stuff like that!!!!!   I told you - my focus is on the bike, nothing else.

It was a glorious day to ride a bike. These are the kind of days that you look forward to and makes all those rainy days just disappear. We did pass through Whiarton where we saw the home of Whiarton Willy. However he was fast asleep when we passed so we did NOT get a chance to visit. But holy cow - he is obviously a BIG attraction in this town!!!!!

From there we had to decide on Highway 6 or the scenic route. We thought the scenic route added quite a few K to the trip, but after consulting someone (a motorcyclist in Tim's who said he wouldn't even ride his bike on Highway 6) and consulting the map  - we decided to take the scenic route. I don't think it added much to the total K for the day.  And the scenic route was an easy ride - few hills, good road.   We did see some AMAZING houses along this scenic route. Well we know where the rich live!!!!!!  

As we arrived in Own Sound, Neil popped off to the bike shop and I was alone to get to camp. ACK!!!!!!  Rain was threatening and I didn't want to make any wrong turns. OK - so I had to stop and ask for a direction as there were two options - go left on the flat or go right up a hill. Fortunately the road to the left was the right one. By this time Allain was right behind me and we got into the campground with no problem. I am NOT in the habit of getting lost, but sometimes, there are so many twists and turns on the roads that a few of the turns are questionable. I should just trust my instincts and I am sure that I will be just fine.

We arrived at the campground and of course - it started to rain. We ducked under a shelter for a bit to wait it out. Fortunately it did not rain long and we got our tents up. Actually we put up the kitchen shelter and made our tents under there - then moved them to the camp site which was right beside us. The campground is right in town and it is BUSY. I guess this makes up for all those camp grounds that have practically been deserted - this one was hopping. Turns out there was a dog show the next day and some celebration for Emancipation Day. Since we had made it into camp early, I had a LOT of time to kill. I got out my chair and my book and read until my head started to nod. So I had a bit of a snooze and then read some more.

Actually I don't think I was all that tired, but sleepy from a sugar crash. When we were at the ferry docks, I had bought a hunk of fudge. And I ate the ENTIRE thing when I got into camp. Then when the sugar ran out - well so did I!!!!!!

It was hard to nap because at the site next to ours was a big tent - actually three big tents. Turns out they were filled with dogs - about 25 or so. All poodles that were there for the show the next day. I thought it was going to be a LONG night, but apparently all the dogs went inside the trailer at 9 PM and I did not hear a peep out of any of them that night. But the camp ground was crazy - the tents were literally on top of each other - not ours as we were in a  different area, but in the main area - well it was insane!!!!!!

More family meeting the group which is exciting even if it isn't our own family!!!!!

We cycled 130K today - an average day!!!!!!   Starting to get to the point that we don't really think too much about the distance that much. Just get on and ride.

Also heard that one of the four Newfoundland ferries is out of commission and will likely be out of commission until the end of August. Not sure how or if that will affect us. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens by the end of August.

OK - getting caught up. Had my breakfast and ready to get the rest of these blogs done!!!!


Have a great day!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment