Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Day 68 - Lake Ainslie - Dingwall

What can I say - this was the day that I was "dreading" from the very beginning of the tour. We finally arrived at the Cabot Trail and having done the Cabot Trail last year - I knew what it was like.

We were on cook duty this morning and therefore didn't get a chance to leave camp until 8 AM. This was our fifth day of riding in a row and given the fact that yesterday was a long day with lots of climbing and today was going to be worse - we knew it wasn't going to be easy.

The first part of the day was not bad. Small hills and rolling terrain. A nice tail wind and gorgeous temperature. What more could one ask for? Well we could ask for LESS hills.

The hills are really not that bad until you enter the Cape Breton National Park. Then you get HILLS. Right off the bat - and yes there is the hill that I lost my chain on last year. It got so jammed in that it took a while to get it out. I remember that moment well. But I just geared down into those gears I have been saving and climbed the hills.

Then we got to THE hill  - the first of two. The first one is French and I remember from last year that it wasn't that big of a deal. I geared down - and slowly attacked the hill. I have learned - you do NOT rush up these hills as you will very quickly run out of steam. There was about 5 KM of climbing with grades between 5 and 12 percent. I know it sounds awful, but it wasn't really that big of a deal. I didn't have to stop - we just cruised right up. Then we got to ride on the top of the mountain range for quite a ways - ups and downs were very much part of the route.

We ran into Bill, Megan and Greg in one of the pull outs. Wait a minute - this never happens since they are the fast group and NEVER or rarely stop for pictures. Turns out that a bee got stuck in Megans sunglasses and stung her on the eyelid. By the time they stopped, her eye was pretty much swollen shut. No let's make that - it was HUGELY swollen. She had it concealed behind Bill's bandana and my first thought was she was looking pretty cool with her bandana sweatband - cause we were sweating a LOT. Actually they were waiting for the truck which came by shortly after we stopped. We all told Megan she could NOT ride with one eye on the descents that were coming up so she hopped on the truck. Actually this happened before we did any of the big hills - so who was the lucky one??????

After a beautiful ride along the top of the range, it was time to descend. Let's just say that descending those hills is almost as bad as going up. Switchbacks and STEEP is the word of the day. No more than 30 K on the curves - well that was hard when your brakes are operated by your hands. My hands were getting cramped up and yes - you could release them, but not too much or you wouldn't be able to get back in control for the next corner!!!!!  I won't even check the maximum speed to protect myself!!!!!

We stopped in Pleasant Bay for lunch even though it was late by this time - we did have our peanut butter earlier, but we figured that we deserved a LOT of food today.

Then we came to the North Mountain. This is the one I have been dreading the entire trip. I knew it was going to be tough - in fact it was at least 13 percent almost the entire way up. The climb was a bit over 3 KM and there were times when that grade went up 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 percent!!!!!   It was CRAZY and the lowest it went to was 10% which wasn't really any relief at all. When I did this climb last year - I had to stop about 4 times. I told Neil if he had to stop that was fine and if I had to stop - well we would meet at the summit sign. But I was determined that I was NOT going to stop. And he wasn't going to stop if I wasn't. So we struggled up that hill. Again geared right down and went up slow. No other choice - it was a slog - no make that a TOUGH slog and I remembered every turn on that darn hill. I knew that we were getting close and I was NOT going to give in. But when you see the "top" - you still have at least .5 KM climb before the grade goes down. But you bet I yelled and whooped it up when I got to the top!!!!!!!    Hey - the worst is over - well I sure hope so!!!!

There was still about 25 K to camp and for the first bit - the road was pretty decent, but then it got a bit hillier and it seemed that every hill was a MOUNTAIN. My legs were just about done in - no energy left.

Got to camp and had a recovery beer - best to have within one half hour of arriving in camp!  Got the tent set up and then had a bit of time to relax while we waited for the rest of the group to come in. Every one was tired, but you can't say that it wasn't an amazing day - the scenery is breath taking, the temperature was awesome, the wind was our friend (for the most part), the route was challenging. Yep - a day perfect for cycling!!!!!

Oh yes - speaking of that wind - As we were doing the crazy descent - the wind was actually in our favour and pushing against us. But then we had to keep the bikes under control as the wind was trying to push us all over the place. Pretty scary descents (I was glad Megan did not ride down them) and we could smell many people;s brakes as they descended (in their cars).  Traffic was very kind to us through that part which was good because I took up the ENTIRE lane for my descent.

On my second last night in the tent - I have realized that I can use my handlebar bag as a "desk" for my tablet as I type the blog. Shoot - why didn't I think of that sooner?????   Oh well - next year!!!!!

I guess  I had better do some stretching before I go to bed. We still have three days of cycling before our destination and according to "Bud" Miles - that equates to about 300 KM. I am very much in awe of what our group has accomplished. 

And I am so proud to wear the T-shirt that M made for me. It says - "It doesn't get any easier - you just go faster!!!"   And that is so true.

So that makes 144K or something like that and 1,910 Meters of climbing!!!!!!  And YES everyone is TIRED!!!!!

Well I am pretty sure that if I want WiFi - I have to walk down to the office so I may do that tonight or wait until I go to the washroom in the morning.

Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Way to go! And by the way ~ HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Elaine, happy birthday to you....and many more. I remember when we drove down the Cabot Trail we had to stop a couple of times because of the brakes. Doug was afraid he would burn them out. Only a couple more days until you are finished. Take care ~ ride safely.
    <3M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! That day is done! Happy to read that you say,
    "Oh well - next year!!!!" What are you thinking? Little me even gets the shakes reading your blogs. You really are remarkable. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete