Thursday, August 29, 2013

Day 70 - Englishtown - Ferry

Two things I forgot to mention from yesterday. I had forgotten that there was ANOTHER mountain that we had to climb. This one was Smokey mountain. And while it was pretty easy to climb - a lot was at 3 - 4 %, and towards the top - it did get steeper but still very doable. But the descent - well that was quite a descent. If you remember, I took a video of the descent last year and posted it to YouTube. I will try to find the link. Let's just say that it was as scary this year as it was last year. And while you think that cycling only uses your legs - don't let anyone fool you. It took a LOT of hand/arm strength to keep the bike under control. CRAZY!!!!!!

And the second - well I can't remember what the second thing was!!!!!   I am sure that I will remember tomorrow.

We had a short day today so no need to get up early. Yeah!!!!   But when you are conditioned to get up at a certain time - it is hard to not get up at that time. Again - a restless night. Not sure if that is because of the excitement of the trip or just insomnia. But I need a good night's sleep!!!!!   And I am trying not to nap because that will really mess things up.

Even though it was a short day, Neil and I got off to an early start. We were on the road by 8:30 AM which in fact was late for us!!!!!   We were trying to figure out how we were going to work in THREE stops in only 40 KM. Turns out that there wasn't any place to stop until we reached our final destination!!!!!!

We got to North Sydney around 10:30 AM. Hmmm - we don't have to be at the ferry dock until around 1 PM so lots of time to kill. We rode through town and found a bank which was very important since I was running out of money. All those darn food stops!!!!   Now in case you are thinking that I am eating a lot - I am just not eating stuff from my packed lunch. Instead of having apricots and almonds for a snack, I have been eating cinnamon buns, tarts and other baked goodies. And no peanut butter sandwich for lunch - we are having a nice lunch. So yes - it is a few more calories but not that big of a deal.

After getting some cash, we happened upon a bakery. Sounds like a great place to stop. But this bakery did not serve coffee - so we had a look at what they had to offer and when we asked about the cinnamon buns, we were told they had some fresh from the oven. OH yes - we will have one of those - they were HUGE. And the price????   ONE DOLLAR - I would have bought a few more had I the room. Well - I wouldn't have, but I could have bought extra and sold them for $2.00.

Got some milk and coffee at the gas station and then sat by the water and enjoyed our morning snack. It was awesome because we were able to watch one of the ferries leave. There were two in the dock when we arrived.

After hanging out at the water for a while, it was time for lunch. I know - that was very sad!!!!!   But we had a light lunch and again sat right by the ferry dock and enjoyed the beautiful view. It was awesome. Then off to get to the dock where we were pretty much the last to arrive. The rest of the group had arrived and immediately dropped off their bikes - the van and trailer were not at the dock when we arrived in town. Front wheel off the bike and then it went up top. Looks pretty impressive with all those bikes up top.

Sat in the ferry terminal for a long while as we waited to board. It is quite a process to load this ferry and the one that we were getting on was the one that was already in the dock when we arrived. It does take a long time to put all the truck trailers on the ferry as the truck cabs do not go on. The trailers are dropped in the parking lot and then another vehicle drives the trailers onto the ferry and then leaves the trailers on. It is quite a process and with two ferries in dock at the same time - well it is interesting to watch. There was a Tim's right beside the dock and so I popped over to get a TEA since we were going to be at the dock waiting for a while. And it was AWESOME to just sit and spend an hour enjoying that cup of tea. It is also interesting that we had to have a boarding pass (which makes sense), but also to show photo ID to get on the ferry. And when you go out the gate to get to Tim's, you need your boarding pass and PHOTO ID to get back in.

Then it was time to board the bus and get to the ferry. Yes - you do NOT walk on this ferry - a shuttle bus takes you to the bowels of the ferry and you get off in the parking garage before the cars are loaded!!!!!   Then I dropped the luggage in our room - we are four to a room - four to a VERY TINY room. And I got the CO-ED room. Two guys - two girls. Oh well - should be fun!!!!  But we have our own washroom with a shower (which I hear is very good). By the time, I took a quick tour of the ferry and ended up on the deck up top, the darn truck and trailer were already loaded!!!!   DRAT!!!!!!  And yeah - I get the top bunk!!!!!  At least we found the ladder so I don't have to do gymnastics to get in bed.   I always seem to get the top bunk!

A bunch of us ended up outside on the TENTH deck of the ferry and watched as the ferry finally got ready to leave the dock. Quite an impressive show - well at least for a land lubber like me.

There is definitely enough to keep one entertained - there is a bar, a couple of restaurants, a place to watch movies and of course - just watching the sea go by!!!!  We did see a whale - but not much of it - just a fin!!!   I don't think any of it showed up in my pictures.

However I am not sure that I am going to like this MOTION business. Even though this ferry is big - we are a LONG way from land and I can feel the ferry moving. Maybe that is what I need to rock me to sleep and I hear that the winds are going to pick up in the night. The ferry left dock at 5:00 PM and won't reach Argentia, NFLD until about 9 or 10 AM. Depends on the a lot of things including the weather.

We had a great buffet dinner - and I would imagine that the ferry lost money on us!!   Many people went back for seconds and lots of dessert. I was very controlled - I don't want to lose my dinner because of the motion! Although I am NOT normally prone to motion sickness????

The ride this morning was a great one. We did have to climb Kelly's Mountain which at this point was really not a big deal. Although it was about 6 KM of climbing, the grade was about 5 - 6 percent maximum and that is really not a big deal at this point. BUT - for every up - there is a down and this was a nice long descent, but why do we have to do all these ups and then downs - we get nothing from the entire process. However at the bottom of the mountain was a bridge. Another HIGH bridge. I hate high bridges!!!!!!!   This one had no shoulder and no sidewalk so we had to ride with the traffic which I hate. But we did get lucky in that there was not much traffic at that time. The rest of the route was pretty easy and my legs were definitely feeling much better than they had been the previous day.

Well - it is getting dark outside and it looks very stormy on one side of the ferry - oh well - best to just ignore it. I am not fond of sailing. No cruises for me!!!!   Just hope I don't feel this rocking motion for days like I did when I took the ferries up the west coast a couple of years ago.

On that note - I am out of here. ONE MORE DAY of riding!!!!!!    Yes - and with the shortcuts - we are looking at about 120K of riding. Let's just hope that the weather is going to cooperate - at this time - the forecast is NOT good.

Have a good day!!!

Ciao!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes - I remember what the second thing was!!!!!   We had black flies the other night or some little thing that bit me on the ankles. My right ankle is VERY itchy and swollen. Stupid BUGS!!!!!   I am getting very tired of BUGS!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment