Sunday, November 9, 2014

Crazy for Curves!!!!!!!!!!!!


I had an awesome day yesterday. I taught a class on curved piecing at the Etobicoke Quilter's Guild. This group is very lucky as they have a beautiful spot for their workshops at the Neilson Park Creative Center. Not only do they get to have workshops and meetings  in this beautiful facility, but they have sewing several days a week as well. Yes - they have to pay for it - but it is worth it.

We had a full house or almost. I love to teach this class.  I show the class the tools and the techniques and I let them go wild. We had a few design elements that "had" to be incorporated but for the most part - they just attacked the project and cut and sewed and made some beautiful artwork. Making a project in a workshop can be very stressful and sometimes the creative juices are NOT flowing, but I think you will agree with me that the end results are pretty amazing.

Sit back and enjoy the show..................


This is my sample that came about after I had taught the curved piecing workshop several times. The class was initially designed strictly as a technique workshop and the students made THREE separate samples. Then I noticed the students started putting all three techniques on the same background and VOILA - I stole that idea from them!!!



Kay - oh yes - we had fun with Kay!  Let's just say that we had a bit of a challenge with cutting, but the end result is awesome

Diane was definitely in her element as you can see from  this end result. She took the techniques and ran with them!  

Janice is going to leave the wonky end as part of her piece.  I love it - we don't need more square quilts!!!!   Love the STACKED circles on top of each other. 

Angela - Oh yes - we had fun with this one as well and the end result is pretty cool. I really do like those skinny rings in her quarter circle! 

Paula - LOVE her reverse egg yoke/white!   The off center circle is fabulous. There is a bit of fullness in this one which  will quilt out or she is going to try the soak it in starch method (once it is basted) and I think it will be just fine.  See how she added that yellow in the corner - those free form seams can be used everywhere!

Sylvia - the fabrics used were very dramatic and I love them!!!!!  We did learn a thing about adding the piece to the corner (now if I told you - you wouldn't come to my next class!) But she also fussy cut the quarter square in bottom left. Not quite as centered as we would like, but HEY - we were in a class!  Everything becomes an experiment in class. 

Mardi has a very subdued colour palette and see how that curved strip on the left acts as a border!

Susannah  was getting creative and inserting the circles that she was cutting out. Well you have to take the class to know what I mean.  But keep in mind that the circles in the center of all of these pieces are NOT applique.  No those circles are SEWN in!!!   Oh yes !!!!

Teresa had to make a piece larger than the rest of the group!  But I LOVE LOVE LOVE those rings in the bottom left. 

Sarah - has a fabulous piece of background fabric. This would be one of those "I don't want to cut it up pieces".  But it provides an awesome background for her circles. She did the third technique separately as she was very happy with this piece and I have to agree with her. The more I look at that background - I more I LOVE IT!!!!!

Val started out with a smaller piece than the rest and then she decided to enlarge the background by adding that strip. I LOVE that. And note that she started to insert circles in that extra piece.   Oh yes - NOTHING stopped this group from getting the project done.  They came against a problem - found a solution and moved on!!!!   

Lynda didn't quite get to the third technique, but she has her fabric chosen.  If you look closely at her white fabric - it has circles with strawberries on it.  She is going to add some more circles using singular motifs of that strawberry fabric. It will look awesome. Hmmm - maybe a few on that red strip????   Ooops - I am NOT supposed to suggest design elements!

Chris was the the workshop coordinator and was dealing with some electrical issues and so she wasn't able to get as far as the others, but what she has done is gorgeous.  I LOVE the rings. Nice choice of fabrics/colours and the size of those quarter rings are great!!!

Wendy was having a blast with her project.  Do you see what she did on the far right edge.  She had two fabrics with mirrored curved seams.  I LOVE that and all free form!!!!!!!!!!

Irene also did the third technique on a scrap of fabric.  I love this one and it brought up an interesting concept.  If you have an cool fabric with a continuous pattern on it - it would be great to position those circles so it appears that you are looking through the background to the fabric beyond.   



And there you have it - an awesome show n tell by a VERY TALENTED group of ladies. I was very impressed, had loads of fun and I learned a couple of things as well.  I think it was a win win for everyone.


If you want to see more of their work, the Etobicoke Quilter's Guild will be hosting their quilt show at the end of March. March 27, 28 and 29 to be exact. Click on the link above to go to their web site for further information. But MARK THOSE DATES in your calendar.  I will remind you closer to the date.


On that note - it is time to get to work!!!!!!!!


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!

Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment