Friday, November 14, 2014

Remembering....................


As I mentioned, I walked to the Remembrance Day parade/ceremony earlier this week. It was a glorious day and I am so glad I went. It was so heartwarming as the vets rode or walked past us that they were applauded. These people went to war so we could enjoy the lifestyle that we do today. I thank each and everyone of them!

Here are a few shots that I took that day...............


The parade coming down the street

The current mayor of Mississaugua (in the middle). Hard to believe that Hazel is 93 years old.  She is a spitfire and we are going to miss her a LOT.   I want to be like Hazel when I am 93. 

|This is Bonnie - our mayor elect. She will be sworn in in early December. 

Some of the other groups - there were many - border crossing agencies from the US and Canada, Shriners, police, cadets, legion, scouts and probably more that I have forgotten. 

And even a border crossing dog!!!


The cenotaph where the ceremony was held was moved this past summer.  I think it was moved 100 feet or something like that.  But they made changes to it that make it so much nicer. It used to a spot where people sat on it, skateboarded on it and well it wasn't really respected. A beautiful planter and a railing were added so it now gets the respect and dignity that it deserves.


This is the planter around the base

Beautiful poppies

There were a LOT of wreaths placed during the ceremony.  I shall try to get a better picture at a later date.  


I did a project on that cenotaph a number of years ago and spent some time going through pictures at the local legion.



I think I took the center picture and the other two are pictures of the cenotaph over the years. The top left has stats about the cenotaph.  The local legion gave me a pin which I have attached to the piece. 

The entire piece consists of 15 blocks like this that represent a part of Streetsville history. They are done on fabric in a collage style - technically it is a quilt, but not a traditional quilt.



I shall do another post with all the show n tell from yesterday and there was LOTS.  It was a super productive day for everyone!!!!!!!!!


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment