Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Sashing? What if?

Interesting things happen in the quilting world.  Remember we chatted about the "what if" the other day.  Let's play what if? this morning.  

I'll step back to Saturday when we had show n tell at the class.  Shaun brought in this gorgeous and I mean GORGEOUS (and not just because it was orange) quilt that he had made.  And it was HAND QUILTED by Shaun.  Then it had been washed so it was fluffy and well - I could have put that quilt in my bag and been a happy camper!!


Shaun's quilt

The block had come from a magazine and was originally made into a table runner.

Shaun felt that the blocks got lost in the quilt and he was asking if he would have been better to add sashing.  So we are going to test that out this morning.  

Through the magic of EQ7, I recreated the block. Have a look -- it's not what you think it is.

Original block

Now, let's see what that looks like in the table runner configuration.


Table runner


Now let's see what happens when we put those blocks together to get the quilt that Shaun made.


Orange quilt

Do you see what is happening with this particular block???  It's almost like the block itself creates a sashing when they are put together.   It's an interesting design.

Now let's see what happens when we do actually add a sashing.

A sashing with corners stones and a border are now added

Isn't that interesting, how the sashing changed the quilt.  I don't know which one I prefer.  They are both gorgeous.

And just for the heck of it and to show you that YES, I do work with other colors, here's the quilt in blue.

Blue quilt




But here's my thoughts - if you do not use EQ7 - you are missing out on a whole lot of fun.  It's a well thought out quilt design software.  It's extremely versatile and I use it ALL THE TIME.   Those pictures above took very little time to create.

Anyway, that's my thoughts for What if? today.  Don't be afraid to mess around with your blocks, your designs and everything else to see what would happen WHAT IF?

And if anyone has another design question - feel free to let me know and I'd be happy to play what if with your dilemma.

Have a great day!!!

Ciao!



6 comments:

  1. Looks great without the stashing, love the orange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - isn't that orange amazing! He did a superb job on the piecing, quilting, color choice. etc. !!!

      Delete
  2. LOVE without the sashing!!!!! I'd call this quilt, Shining Bright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - I love without the sashing too!!! Nice name!

      Delete
  3. I got EQ7 last year for Christmas but my computer needs more memory to run it properly. Do you find the tutorials easy to follow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathie - I've been using EQ since EQ3. Best quilting design investment EVER! Yes the tutorials are easy to follow. You don't need to go crazy with learning to get started. Once you learn the basics, it's easy to continue on. I could give you loads of pointers and the support staff is awesome. Get more memory for your computer!!!!

      Delete