Saturday, September 19, 2020

Inventories DO work!

 

It was another great day! We had fun at our mini Sit and Sew. I call it a mini Sit and Sew because it's a very small group! And yesterday, it was just Lynn and me. We're trying to do our part about keeping our bubbles small. But it never fails; I seem to be in a whirlwind on every sew day. Or maybe I just notice it more because someone else is in the room. 

Murphy was having an issue in the backyard. She would NOT stop barking. I checked twice and couldn't see anything. But when I looked closer, there was an opossum on the other side of the fence. I didn't have my phone with me at that moment, but trust me - it was an opossum. I thought they were nocturnal? 

Add in the number of times I went from top to bottom in the house to get stuff, it's no wonder I put on so many steps in a day! I'll give you an update on my Virtual walking next week. Significant progress is being made, and I'm getting excited!

Today is going to be a crazy day! I'm on Zoom all day, but with FOUR different events. I had to prep for two of them, and that prep work is done. All the props that I need have been moved to the film studio area, the presentations are on a USB, and the Zoom links are sent. It's crazy trying to keep track of all the details. 

Some of the presentations will be presented more than once. So once the initial grunt work is completed, the second time I do the presentation, it will take a lot less time. I'm not quite halfway through the prep for them all. So far, so good!

One of the presentations today, I'm a participant, so that's good, and I'll have more on that tomorrow. It's going to be exciting! The last one is going to be totally relaxing as it's the Virtual Retreat!! The link will be at the end of this post. Remember - it starts at 2:30 today!!

So what did I get done between the running around yesterday? Oh - I got loads done and was very happy with myself. 

The snail's trail quilt has officially been moved to the "to be quilted" pile. YEAH!!!  All the UFOs on the 2017 list are DONE!!! I can officially move onto 2018!


Snails trail quilt moved to the "to be quilted" pile


I just checked my lists of UFOs. Now that this one is off the list, 23 projects are on the yearly Task Master list. That's not bad considering that some of these are HUGE projects. I think I can finish 6 more before the end of the year. That would be HUGE!!! That leaves 17 UFOs on the lists, and of course, I'm going to add 12 more at the end of this year. I don't look at how many didn't get done - I look at how many did get done. And the most important thing is that they are not getting forgotten or shelved! Oh yes -- this UFO clean up thing is all GOOD. 

I'll be posting more tips on this as we go along, and I'll be doing signups for the UFO club for 2021, probably in November when my schedule has calmed down a wee bit. But if you don't want to participate (anyone can since it'll be via Zoom), then get a UFO list together for yourself. Pick 12 projects that you want to be DONE. Start thinking about it! I'll be bugging you over the next couple of months to get it done. 

So once I had a mini celebration over completing that quilt, it was time to move to the next project. The two quilts got trimmed and ready to be picked up. OH - I need to let the owners know that they can pick up their quilts! That's important. 

For the rest of this week, I'll be working on the homework assignments that are due next weekend. I started with Aviatrix Medallion. I've been getting the borders pieced, but not stitched to the quilt. So that was the task for yesterday. I had FOUR borders to sew on. 

I was just finishing up a seam for the first border and OH!! - the bobbin ran out, about ¼" from the end of the seam!






Bobbin ran out!

Shoot - I should have taken a picture after the first border got sewn on. Anyway, it was a skinny strip of cream. The strips were cut, but not joined. So that border got put on. And you have to love when the borders are the ABSOLUTE perfect length. The next border, which is those pieced blocks, also got stitched on. Again, the lengths of the borders matched the quilt perfectly. Yeah for that accurate ¼" seam allowance. 

One more border on Aviatrix Medallion


And after that border got put on, I had one more narrow strip of cream to add. It's very hard to see in the picture below, but trust me, that skinny little border is on. It was also the exact length that it needed to be. 


Aviatrix Medallion quilt so far



I'm a very happy camper! There is one pieced border and one more small border of cream to be sewn on. I only have two blocks of 72 of that last pieced border. I did some cutting yesterday and the sewing is on the agenda later today and tomorrow. I can't wait to see how the others made out with their final borders!

I ran around this morning taking pictures for the presentations. All I can say is THANK goodness, I have that inventory of the "to be quilted" projects. It was a snap to find the exact quilts that I needed so I could photograph them. I actually like just having to photograph them. Then I can put the tubs back in order right away instead of leaving that area looking like a disaster until the quilts get returned to them. 




The inventory of the "to be quilted" pile


What I did notice as I was going through the list is that there are many quilts in those tubs that I do not want. I could try and sell some of them, but that seems to be a big job so I imagine that many will end up being donated at some point. I'll see - if I were to actually finish the set up of my Etsy shop that someone so kindly started for me, then I might actually find a home for some of these!

I'm expecting one more bundle of fabric and I see from the tracking numbers that it's cleared Detroit so hopefully, it'll arrive in the next couple of days??? 


Don't' forget the tote bag class that starts next weekend. It's a basic tote bag, but there are so many details covered in bag construction that you're bound to learn something!!!

I'll be running a ZOOM workshop for a tote bag. It's in TWO parts - the first one is Saturday, September 26th from 1 - 3 PM and the second part is Saturday, October 3 from 3 - 5 PM. 

We're going to make a basic tote bag and while we make the bag, we'll be discussing things like interlinings for the bags, lining, pockets, handles, bottom inserts, and other tips and tricks on getting the bag to look professional, not hand-made. There will be homework between the two classes. I hope that you'll get some sewing done during the Zoom class, but it might be more lecture and then you'll do the work on your own time. 

Tote bag class



It's going to be a lot of fun. Guess what, once you make this tote bag, then you can make ANY tote bag and you won't ever need another tote bag pattern!! Included in the cost of the class, you'll get a written pattern, as well as an on-line tutorial, plus the four hours of class time with loads of extra tips. The cost is $40 for all that! Email me at elainetheriault@gmail.com if you are interested in signing up. 


I know that some of you have sent me your sign up information. I'll be getting the supply list to you later tonight or tomorrow morning so you can get prepped. 


Don't forget the Virtual Retreat via Zoom later today at 2:30 TODAY. The Virtual Retreat also runs tomorrow from 9 AM to 8 PM. I'll post the link tomorrow morning.  


 
Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87628087473?pwd=QjE0Q1Ntc2o2anpvVEl5Y2Z2dFArQT09 Meeting ID: 876 2808 7473 Passcode: 072178



Here's the link to the SUNDAY  Virtual Retreat

Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86743552123?pwd=K1RyWG40OStDdFh1eHJEbkxjangvUT09 Meeting ID: 867 4355 2123 Passcode: 135282

On that note, I'm off to walk the dogs!!!


Have a great day!!!!


Ciao!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment