Monday, January 15, 2024

Happiness is decluttering - 10 years strong!

Sadly, I didn't get to the Oakville fiber show, but that's OK. It's a lesson to learn that I must plan my life a bit better. I did have a date planned back in November, but that got sidetracked, and I SHOULD have rescheduled a date in December. So, while I'm sad I couldn't make it, learn from my mistakes and don't do it again!

It seemed like I was busy the entire day, and do I have anything to show for it? Not much -- it was one of those days where I tried to clean up niggling emails that needed to be answered. I still have a list today that needs to be dealt with, but I must leave them aside except for ONE very urgent one and then get something else done!

It's all progress towards clearing up the TWO piles of paperwork that are sitting on the floor! I need some space to put things, and well, with all the mess on the surfaces, that isn't going to happen. It's amazing how quickly this stuff builds up because last week, I put the wire basket that held all the previous paperwork onto the desk, and that has now been forgotten. Yet -- it held ALL the paperwork I was supposed to deal with. 

Good grief -- I think the paperwork is multiplying when I'm not around! 

I started the day with the Many Blocks Zoom. I'm working on the 365-day quilt challenge, and I managed to get two more blocks completed. I have about 14 more cut out, and I really need to find an afternoon to sew them. Why is it so hard to find sewing time these days? 

Two blocks from the 365-day challenge


I think January had a bit of a rough start to it with the computer woes, and, well, sometimes, it takes me a long time to recover (mentally) from that! How silly is that -- good grief -- it's just a computer. But I'm over it and on the road to "recovery!"

The designer of the 365-day quilt would get on a kick with one technique, and all the blocks for many days would have the same technique. She got into MITERED corners, and can you tell me why you would miter those corners??? Maybe if the fabrics were striped, but even mitered corners wouldn't ensure the stripes matched at the corners. 


Mitered corners? Why?

I made my block by sewing strips to all sides with butted corners. No need to be a hero here! I see she has one or two more quilts that she has designed and are available for a sew-along. Let's face it -- I don't care who brings out a new sew-along --- I (and probably YOU) do not need another sew-along unless you are absolutely certain that you'll get it done NOW. This year is the year to NOT start a new quilt but keep focusing on the old. The old is still exciting, so there's nothing wrong with that!


We also had our Zoom on Machine Embroidery and so much inspiration! I NEED to get to the embroidery machine as well. 

My chuckle of the day was walking through the forest. At one point, there is a small creek, which, with all the rain we've had, had water in it. But hey -- it's cold enough to freeze over. Isn't it? Well, I soon found out that it was not frozen enough for me. I tried to scramble quickly through and onto the sticks on the left of the photo. I did NOT fall, and I did not get WET feet, but it was dicey! Lexi on the other, who weighs considerably less than I do, walked on the other side where there was less danger! That darn dog is smarter than I!



Ice is NOT frozen


And Miss Murphy loved the cold yesterday. At one point, she went out and plopped herself directly onto the snow. There isn't a lot of hair on her tummy, so she must have been hot!!!

MOM -- I'm overheating! 


And Little Bear loves to sit on the sofa where he can survey "his" kingdom!


Grandma - I'm keeping an eye on my kingdom!


As I was tidying up a couple of weeks ago, I found this small grow kit. Hmmm --- Let's throw the seeds into the soil, add water, and see what happens. Well, the darn thing has germinated! I think there were three seeds - no idea what they are. I don't have much of a green thumb, so let's see what happens and how long it stays growing. 


My plant

 During the afternoon, I showed or helped DH finish the EXIT game that accidentally got solved all by itself. Then, I went through all the solutions cards to see if there was any logic that I didn't understand. The more I learn about these games, the easier they are to do? There is only one spot where I didn't think the logic was right. Close, but I would have changed one word. I know someone who is an "expert" in these games, and I should see if he has done this particular puzzle and get his perspective. Perhaps it's just my vision that is skewed. 

So when DH asked, what game are we doing next? Well, you can bet that I hopped down to the puzzle closet to find something. Could it be one of these four small games? All of those are two dots, so they are "easy."



Four small EXIT puzzles


How about this larger one. Oh no -- that's FOUR dots. We're not ready for that yet. 

Four dots -- I don't think so


Or perhaps, it could be an advent calendar from a previous year. 

Two dots on the Advent Calendar


Yep -- I have TWO of them. By the way -- I see the 2024 calendar will be released later this year, and it's about HOLLYWOOD. There are quite a few new games going to be released this year from my research last night. 

Another beginner advent calendar

I choose one of the smaller games with two dots. No need to stress myself right now. We whizzed through TWO puzzles like it was nothing. How did that happen? Well, they were easy - it was not our skill that helped there. Or maybe, we're getting the hang of it? 

On the side of the box is this information. Notice it says that it'll take 1 - 2 hours to play. HA!!! If the rest of the puzzles in the box are as easy as the first two, I can see that. But on the Lord of the Rings one? It took much longer. 

Game play - 1 to 2 hours!



I'm still writing in my Happiness Journal and LOVE reading the entries from previous years. I see myself lamenting about the tidying and decluttering NEVER ending. Guess what year that was? 2013!!!!! YES -- I have been at this job for over ten years, and I'm much further ahead than I was then, but what a mess I created for our house! It's crazy!!! So yes -- this decluttering business is something that never goes away. You must deal with every piece of packaging or mail that comes into your house. Every single piece! And best to do it every single day! 

Then there are the clothes, the shoes, the dishes, the electronics, whatever else we seem to buy or inherit. Things get put away, and we forget about them. It's a slow and steady job, and we will make it happen. 

I had to laugh when I read this last night. Getting enough sleep!! It was 8:30, and I was in bed! But I'm up early - I got my full eight hours of sleep, except for one trip to the bathroom. And I'm off to spin class. 


Happiness is...............


I swear, they do NOT promote this enough. Enough sleep means your immune system gets stronger, and you're able to resist colds, flu, and other diseases better. Like many, sometimes I have issues with sleep, but I'm finding that by drinking more water, I'm getting better. I doubt there is any correlation between drinking water and sleeping, but we are supposed to drink lots in a day. I still don't drink enough, but I'm "forcing" myself to drink more, and I feel better because of it. Less tired, and I know I have issues with dehydration. 


Well, it's time to get myself organized and off to the gym. Then I get the FUN of dealing with three dogs. Two is great, but three is a challenge sometimes, especially when two of them think they are NUMBER ONE and both are very needy!!! I don't have to mention which two! Lexi needs extra love and attention since she is such a good girl!

Have a super day -- filled with HAPPINESS!!!!  You are the maker of your happiness!!!


Ciao!!!!




2 comments:

  1. Some days, all we can do is deal with incoming immediately. I stop at the recycle bin on my way in from the mailbox only bringing in what requires further attention. Don't add to the clutter. I've done this consistently for decades when really busy. It's a mental health saver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle --- You should be teaching people good habits of decluttering. For years I brought all that in and left it! Yes -- it would have been a simple matter of putting it in the recycling. But I believe all of that is gone now. And yes, some days, we can only deal with what happened that day!!! Have a super day!!! We are freezing everywhere -- stay warm!

      Delete