Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Feeling out of control

NO --- I do not feel out of control today, but have you ever experienced that? You have no control over your life. Things are just piling up, and you're not happy? People driving you made? Deadlines looming? OK -- so I often feel out of control. Do you know what makes it all go away? 

By DOING! How many times have we agonized over doing something? The deadline looms closer, and we're still feeling out of control. Have you ever noticed that writing a list of the steps, starting the project, or at least getting organized will immediately calm you down? 

That's how my brain works! So, instead of feeling out of control, set aside the time and get to work. I bet you'll realize you are back in the driver's seat again! 

I often feel like that when I have a major writing assignment (imagine if I had to write a book!). I contemplate what to write and how to make the samples, and the deadline looms. But once I start, everything falls into place. So, it's heads-down this week to get this off my plate so I can get back to the long arm and some sewing! 

I should have more time for sewing now that I have fewer classes, but that has yet to happen. Still dealing with paperwork! Every day, the list of emails to send gets shorter, so that's a good thing! 


And here's something else to keep us calm -- well, maybe this is to keep us on our toes.

I snatched this from a quilt store newsletter this morning. Puzzles --- are good for us! Now we all know that!! Pop on over to Thimbles and Things to buy a puzzle

Did you know that putting a puzzle together has many health benefits, too? They improve IQ, promote lower stress levels, exercise your right and left brain, and provide many more benefits. Give your brain some exercise and try a puzzle today.


There are many QUILT-related puzzles these days, and I WANT them all. I don't need them -- I just WANT them. I finished one puzzle over the holidays and have a second sitting on the table, but I never got it out of the box. I might have to wait on that. And I do NOT need to buy more puzzles -- I have enough to last for a few years. 


But it's the same with reading. I snatched this from an Indigo newsletter. 




There are many ways to self-improve and keep your skills sharp that are relatively inexpensive. We need to do more of that instead of being on social media. I have almost completely stopped posting on social media. I use the blog as my forum and I'm OK with that. I may comment or like, but I rarely post anymore. I do NOT need to feel wanted by the number of LIKES I get from a post. I get enough love from people in my life. 

It's interesting what's happening in the world. We are creating a new generation of anxious kids. How did that happen? And the "new" ways of feeding children. I heard yesterday that a new trend in feeding babies is introducing eggs as the first food item? Seriously??? What's that all about? And instead of the new parents listening to their doctors or mothers, they are listening to SOCIAL MEDIA!! Oh boy -- our society is pretty messed up when we get parenting advice from social media, where the attention span is 30 seconds AT THE MOST. 

Anyway -- I digress. 


During Monday's sewing, I managed to accomplish some work. Not much, but some. 


I got the borders on my Green Tea quilt. 

The borders are on my Green Tea quilt


Now, I need to figure out how to put the applique on. I have a plan, and I hope it works because if it doesn't, I may rip those borders off and call it a day! But I WILL make it work. 

And I trimmed a few more half-square triangles from the Barn Star Sampler quilt. There are still many of them to stitch, and then what do I do with them when I'm done? 

Half square triangles from the Barn Star Sampler



I drove DH to the airport yesterday, only to have him return later in the evening. Look who came with me!!

In the car with Grandma!!!!


And look at that blue sky! YES --- it's nice to see the sun and the blue sky even if it's cold. And it's only cold if you aren't appropriately dressed! I put my raincoat over my Patagonia down sweater as an extra layer, and I'm warm. I have moved up to the double layer of fleece mitts with my dollar store gloves inside. It's not so much the temperature; it's the wind chill! 

OH -- so what happened at the airport? The flight got delayed. I guess he didn't see that message as it came in when we were leaving the house. I could have saved myself over an hour of travel time. But no worries. So he's at the airport in plenty of time, and then the flight gets canceled. That was the first time in all the years of flying that a flight was canceled, and he couldn't get another flight out that same day. 

He leaves today, so let's hope the flights are OK. 


The girls and the boy are so entertaining. This is Murphy and Little Bear this morning. Yep -- both facing the same direction. 


Just hanging out, getting some last-minute rest before the day starts



Then I looked a bit later, and they had both turned in the opposite direction. Intentional? Trying to keep up with the Joneses? Or the new dog sport of synchronized sleeping!!!! 


Facing the opposite direction


My little loves!!! Miss Lexi is off alone in the living room's big, comfy dog bed! I will say that Murphy and Lexi had ZERO issues with being outside yesterday on the walk. I had to cut it short because of time constraints, but the little guy? He was NOT happy, and we didn't go far. So he didn't want to walk, but I don't know how many times he asked to go in the backyard! 

Speaking of DH, Little Bear is in love with him. He loves to come in the house and immediately runs upstairs and DEMANDS to get in bed! What a goof!!! I don't know what he'll do for the next couple of days. 


That's it for today. I have lots to do, an appointment, and a meeting, so that will eat into my day of writing, but I'll make it happen. I'm in editing mode now, and that's the fun part. 

Have a super day!!

Ciao!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment