Friday, January 19, 2024

Health wake-up call!

NOOOOOO!!! I don't want to admit that maybe one of those little pill containers will be good for me. I know this is totally crazy, but I'm not good with taking pills since I haven't really needed to take any. However, I always remember that gummy, multi-vitamin every day! Before I resort to the weekly pill container, I will keep the Vitamin D beside the gummies. And I'll also keep the other pill bottle there, with a big label on it - Sunday! If that doesn't work, I may have to resort to the pill container!

So I trundled off to massage yesterday, which is one of the most painful things ever! My muscles are so tight. I had a good chat with her about my early onset of osteoporosis and how I can make some changes. I can immediately make two significant changes - LIFT WEIGHTS and STRETCH MORE. I've made an appointment with an athletic therapist next week to discuss some kind of a routine or regime to get me back into the swing of things. 

I also think there is some nerve compression happening. I'm not in bad shape by any means, but if I don't take control of what is happening to me, I'll have no one to blame when I'm stooped and fragile. I should have been doing this years ago, but I stopped lifting weights about 10 years ago, and that was a bad thing to do! My pec muscles are so tight they are curving my shoulders forward. That is going to take a lot of work to reverse. 

All things that I knew were happening but did nothing about. I still have 30 - 40 years of living to do, and if I don't start taking better care of myself, well, it's not going to be a comfortable or enjoyable 30 - 40 years! Gosh -- that sounds like a totally morbid way to start the day! But I'm in the driver's seat, and in the same way that I'm decluttering the house, I need to declutter myself of those bad habits and get in with the new! I can't reverse what aging has done (and I know I'm not old), but I need to give myself a shake here!


On a positive note, I've been sleeping like a baby since I changed my routine slightly. I'm relaxing more in the evening, limiting social media to a finite amount of time throughout the day. Drinking more water and still walking a lot. I still have deadlines and am not sewing for myself, but that's OK. I can't get everything done, nor should I try. Life is GOOD!

And I chuckle at our sleep patterns. Some people are going to bed when I'm getting up. You know what? We each have to do what works best for us! I love getting up early like the energizer bunny, especially when I slept well. I've already got two loads of laundry done (the last one is in the dryer); I've written one more article and part way through editing. The boy has been out for his business, and I'm eating my healthy breakfast. I've read some e-mails, and it's only 6:30 AM! 

I had a blast playing with the Husqvarna Viking Designer Epic 3 yesterday, but nothing that I can share with you yet. I have a big task ahead of me today. I've wanted to do it for a while, and, as usual, I've left it to the last minute. But I should be good to get a good part of it done today. It's for me, but I will write about it if it turns out OK. 

I get a chuckle when the girls and a boy go outside. There are SOME TIMES that they all go together. Namely at 7 AM, when the girls are allowed out. Before that, they can't go out without being on a leash because Murphy may discover a raccoon and bark her head off. The neighbors don't take kindly to barking dogs like Murphy before 7 AM. 

The three stand on the deck, sniffing! I missed getting Bear in this picture as I was laughing so hard I couldn't get my phone out of my pocket. 


Checking the news and weather report for the day!


The little guy has become quite the explorer. He has no qualms about going anywhere, and yesterday was such a nice day. It's hard to believe the difference 24 hours can make. There was no wind, the sun was out, and the temperature was definitely milder by quite a few degrees. I walked to the grocery store without a HAT! OH -- can you spot the little guy? 

Bear is out exploring


And this was so cute - Murphy plunked herself down on the side of the pond with her paws hanging over the edge. I don't think they have walked on the pond, although I imagine it's pretty solid. Oops - I need to get an extension cord to plug in the heater!  

Murphy gazing over the pond



And last night, there they were, all three tucked up in their own beds. 

Spending a relaxed evening with the girls and a boy


I'm one of those who accumulates reading material, and sometimes, it takes me a while to get it all together if I want to sit down. So, I found a small tote bag and put my current reading material in it. I love it - I'll take a picture for tomorrow. When I sit down to read, I don't have to worry about forgetting something, although I usually pick one thing and read that. Keeping all the current stuff together makes me happier. And reading in the evening? I'm loving it! 

When I worked in Montreal MANY years ago, I took the Metro (subway) to work. I always carried a tote bag of reading material with me. Why? I've no idea, but I needed that tote bag! No wonder my left shoulder is not happy these days!

I started The Kommodant's Girl by Pam Jenoff last night. Although this is fiction, it's still heart-wrenching to see what people had to do to survive. Their mental strength and courage were incredible. 


Murphy was curled up in her big bed and begged me to cover her. OK -- so she didn't beg - she hates covers as she gets hot, but I like covers and imagine the girls being cold, which they are not. She didn't last long like this. 



MOM -- this is humiliating


And what's with Lexi? Is her nose cold? Something smells bad in the house? Silly girl!!!!


MOM -- my nose! 



On that note, I'm out of here. I've got stuff to do today, and well, it's National Popcorn Day, and you never know what can happen there! 


Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!!

8 comments:

  1. A great book! You cannot imagine what's in front of you. Humans were remarkable through the war as they figured out survival.

    I actually joined a gym last year at 61yo. I want to be healthy and fit old, not simply old. The cardio, weight, balance class is perfect for me. Shoulders "up" has been my life. Shoulders "down" is still hard 4y after retirement. I have to tell myself often while sewing/quilting "shoulders down" '"breathe". I started biweekly massage more than 20y ago. This is what I did when I retired and I truly suggest it for you: weekly massage x4. Biweekly massage x6, then monthly for maintenance. It really worked. I don't walk as much as you but I do get 3.5-7 miles daily (I'm weather dependent as I hate layering to the hilt for 20F and wind-the wind here is awful).

    Happy Friday and cheers to improving your health! Indeed we have much living ahead :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation on The Kommondant's Girl. Thoroughly enjoyed it - well as much as one can enjoy that type of a story. Still struggling with stretching, but after yesterday, I really need to make it a priority. I might try the massage thing as you described, but yikes -- that will cost a lot!!!! The stretching could be before or after that walk. I am so impressed about you. You seem to have life pulled together -- and you are so right --- I don't want to get old - I want to get old AND be healthy!!! Have a super day!!!

      Delete
  2. Vitamin D should be taken with fat in order to be properly absorbed. Current evidence supports the notion that joint supplementation of vitamins D and K might be more effective than the consumption of either alone for bone and cardiovascular health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm -- I've been meaning to investigate the right time to take Vitamin D and I shall put that on my list of things to investigate!!! Thanks!!!

      Delete
  3. In order to remember to take my injection once a week, i have setup an alarm on my iphone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine -- that's exactly what I've done as well. AFTER I missed taking that pill MANY weeks in a row. Let's see what happens at 5:05 AM on Sunday morning!!! Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  4. Pamela Dempsey in Northeast TexasJanuary 20, 2024 at 8:35 AM

    Love the pictures, you have the most beautiful girls and cutey Little Bear ! Your life is full 🥰.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Pamela --- Life with the girls and the boy is way more than full!!! Sometimes, it's overflowing and I don't get to my desk until 10 AM even though I've been up for hours!!!! Have a great day!!

      Delete