Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Practice what you preach

What???  I can't get enough Vitamin D just by being outside? Oh boy --- I guess I have a lot to learn. One day, I'll get it all figured out! What I need now is a good formula for sleep. For the most part, I'm a good sleeper, but the last two nights have been horrible. I feel like something the cat dragged in. 

While I have loads to do this week, there is loads of time to get it done, so there's no pressure. I only have a few problems that need to be resolved and nothing I'm desperately trying to find. I should be able to sleep. I guess a short nap is in order, and then, hopefully, I can get to sleep tonight. 

I tried my new earbuds with Monday sewing, and they were perfect. I could sew and chat the entire time with the buds, which still had power at the end of four hours. I was working on my Heartfelt Sampler. Our show and tell isn't until the middle of April, but I'd like not to leave it all until the week before. 

The piecing diagram is more or less straightforward. 

The piecing diagram for Heartfelt Sampler

I've had the blocks laid out on the design wall for a couple of weeks. But yesterday, do you think I could sew a seam? I sewed a seam or two, put the section on the design wall, and realized that I had rotated a block. Or I didn't like the coloring of two blocks together, or the style of a block in its location. Let's say that I had fun with my seam ripper. 

At last, I had HALF of the heart stitched and put it on the wall. OH NO!!! Two blocks need to be moved, so I'll try to fix that today. There's no sense in leaving it like this because I know I won't be happy. 

I cut enough background for the opposite side and must work on the borders. The original has words on it, and I also wanted words on mine, but not the same words the designer used. 

Oh no—I have to make it much more complicated than that! First, I needed appropriate words, and after MUCH debate with myself, I think I have it figured out. So last night, when I couldn't sleep, I advanced that part of the project. 

So, all is good with the Heartfelt Sampler, and I will share it with you after our show and tell. I LOVE it, and the quote fits my quilt exactly! 

A lot has happened in the background, and I haven't shared it with you. Here's our experiment with machine embroidery and stabilizers from a couple of weeks ago. It's part of a Halloween decoration, and while this was successful, we will change up a couple of things. 


Practice run with machine embroidery

There are so many products on the market that you can use. For example, heat transfer vinyl; within that category, there are oodles of options. I mean oodles. And how do you decide what you like best? Why you experiment, of course! We didn't need to stitch out the entire project, but one piece was enough to test our theories on stabilizers, cutting methods, vinyl, thread colors, etc. 

I don't always practice what I preach, but I'm glad we did in this case. 

And here's another sample I stitched out a couple of weeks ago. I used mySewnet Embroidery Software to convert a clipart to a cross-stitch embroidery design. Yep—in a matter of seconds, I had this design ready to stitch. After stitching the small one, I changed some parameters, including the size, to stitch a second one.   



Machine embroidery cross stitch

Many interesting things happened when I stitched it out in a larger size, and I need to go back to the original and to my files to do more testing. 

I swear that we could test and play forever, but at some point, one has to commit to the design and stitch it for real. 

But here's the thing: I know I will sound like a broken record. I learn so much by just experimenting. "Oops, I made a mistake." How do we recover from the mistake, or how do we learn to never do that again? 

I find it fascinating that there are people in the world who are happy to be told what to do each day and have no desire to step out and make a mistake. My brain would wither up and die if that were the way I had to live! However, we are all wired differently, and that's just the way it is. 

I hope to spark some of the curiosity that seems dormant in people. We are all curious about things, but some put curiosity on the back burner. I say, bring that curiosity to the front and let the pot burn to see what happens. 

One more writing assignment is out the door, so that's a positive and I made good progress on the work needed for the next one. I'm in good shape, and if I can get that mostly done today, and prep for the Zoom class I have this evening, I'll be happy. The Zoom takes priority since there's a deadline for that. 

Bear and I had a bit of a scare yesterday on the walk. Remember this picture I snapped of the hawk in the forest. 

A hawk


As we were on our street coming back from the forest, the hawk swooped down towards Bear. I yelled at it, and it flew up into a tree and watched us!! Yikes --- he could easily have carried him off. That was too close for comfort. I've been alert for GROUND dangers like coyotes but never thought of the hawk. I never have those issues with the girls!!

But look at these best buds! There's nothing better than looking your best bud in the eye and saying, "I'm glad you're my friend." 


Best buds

Although, I suspect that at times, Murphy would be happy if Bear weren't here. She's been like a cling-on this morning. I don't know what her problem is, but there's nothing like entertaining TWO dogs when you're in the washroom! 

And on that "high" note, I'm out of here. I've got to walk the girls and the boy and then get to work, but I might have a nap depending on how I feel when I return from the walk. I'll either be wide awake from the brisk air or tired from walking 6 KM. 

Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!!



2 comments:

  1. There's an app called dminder that lets you know how much and when you can make vitamin D. During certain times of the year (summer), you can definitely make enough vitamin D, but for a number of months in Canada, the sun is too low to get any vitamin D. Just Googled it and we get enough sun to make vitamin D between May and October (ish I'd say).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pamela Dempsey in Northeast Texas 😻March 21, 2024 at 8:54 AM

    Ohh, poor little Bear! I bet he was so scared 😳! I’m so glad you guys escaped! If he ever had to go home I bet he will miss y’all so much 😔

    ReplyDelete